4 - wing with addition components /no dry wall screen 7.5oz
5 - wing with servos installed and dry wall screen 7.9oz
6 - wing with servos installed /dry wall screen and nose weight 8.1oz
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2018, 08:02 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP

more tid bits

One of the ideas the guy's from GEMS shared with me was to glue a small wood plate on the bottom of the wing at the center line and center of gravity -about 1/4 x 1/4
drill a hole into it for a small eye hook to screw in on the GG {4 - 1/2 in. from the front of the wing}

This makes checking the balance {side to side and CG} REALLY EASY
tie a string to the ceiling with a paper clip on the end ... clip to the eye hook and balance as needed
unscrew the eye hook when not needed .
It is also a great way to store the plane out of the way when not flying
Jan 16, 2018, 10:18 PM
C'mon more Energy
How about a bench fly already, maybe against a combat wing or similar for perspective.
Looks like a fun machine.
Jan 17, 2018, 03:50 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP

Sizzle vs Weasel comparison

Hey Swoop :
Comparison sure
The Sizzle is 30 inch span and ave weight is around 11.5 oz ,mine is 10.8
The Weasel Trek is 34 .5 span and weight is around 11.5 to 14 oz , mine is 11.0

The Coroplast tail on the Sizzle is held on by a friction fit and rubber band

The Weasel tail and wings are held by friction fit and magnets

so both break down into a easily transportable package.

Both of my ships here have the same 700ma Life receiver battery,MG 12 gram servos and Lemon Rx
Both my ships have rattle can Rustolem paint under 1.7 Lam film

I have flown earlier versions of the Weasel in over 30 mph gusting to 40 wind and found it would get stopped or blown back but I could flick it into knife edge and then back right side up once it started penetrating.
If you dump it into the ground the wings or tail will release ,push'im back together and continue flying- pretty much on every ones must have list

I first flew the Sizzle this past November on a slope trip to Cleveland when a friend offered his up for a try.
By late afternoon the wind had built to the 30's and we were having a blast with some heaver stuff,I was amazed that a little 11 oz wing could could penetrate so easily.The one I flew was set up Very sensitive {all most mind control i think } and I plowed it into the ground a couple of times getting used to it. These planes are very tough !
I have never flown anything set up this aggressively on purpose [screwed up a maiden or two with too much throw and felt fortunate to get them back down in one piece} This was different, kind of like hot Mexican food -first you can't breathe then you begin to like it,now every thing else tastes bland - Thanks again Jim
As I posted earlier the Sizzle went where ever you pointed it and rolled and stopped instantly.

I maidened my Sizzle January 3rd,we had a massive winter storm coming up the east coast with bitter cold in what the weather people were calling "The Polar Cyclone" we had 20 + winds at 18 degrees wind chill around 0.
My first 3 launch attempts found me spating into the frozen ground at my feet until I got my elevator trims right {I really need to get my left handed top of the head launch technique down } no damage ,just picked it back up adjusted my trims and back at it.
4th launch was perfect she pushed out and up like it was on rails, {I have never flown through a snow squall before }
I made a couple of circuits across the hill ,[flew just like Jim's in Cleveland] and landed , headed back down the hill and home to thaw out.

I have not had the opportunity to get back out with the Sizzle to check it out in lesser conditions{wind wise} so I cannot speak to that but the guy's in Cleveland were talking about flying them and shooting landings on a picnic table. Maybe they will chime in on its wind minimums.

In conclusion I can say that the Sizzle will take much more abuse/combat and fly in much higher winds than The Weasel .

Thanks for your interest Swoop,I hope this helps

Guy's
I am sorry about the slowness of this build,I will post whats left of the build shortly
Mike
Last edited by BDOG1; Jan 17, 2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: more/beter
Jan 17, 2018, 03:56 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Sorry lost my pictures - will try again
Jan 17, 2018, 05:18 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP

tail feathers

The Sizzle has uses a number of innovative features as I have previously : described the spar system and the Coropast receiver compartment ,lastly the tail retention is unique.
You will notice in the coroplast rudder a notch with a pin and a opening in the front of that.

In use the front of the rudder slips into a slot in the back of the wing ,a small rubber band
{like the one that held the kit together while being shipped} is inserted through the opening in the rudder and back into itself,the free end that is left is then pulled though the hole in the back of the wing and up to rest on the retaining pin in the notch .

In use this set up worked great on my Sizzle , my tail at most needing a push back down into the slot after slamming it into the frozen ground.
Jan 17, 2018, 05:45 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP

Finishing up

I hope this build helps as a companion to the GEMS build PDF, I apologize if I was overly wordy with my descriptions and slow in its pace .

This kits is very complete and builds very quickly {if you are not taking pictures and writing descriptions}
If you go with the Hot Glue/strapping tape and Solar Tex covering you should be able to easily assemble and cover this in a weekend ready to go.

I think The Sizzle will make a welcome addition to anyone's slope stable,mine will always be in my car once spring and warmer temperatures reappear - This wing fly's much bigger than it's wing span

Thanks guy's
See you on the slope - Mike
Jan 17, 2018, 06:41 PM
Everything is broken
Thanks for the in-depth build thread Mike. It's a lot of work to do a good build thread.

Interesting tail mount system. Is a rubber band used on both sides of the fin or just one? I'm always looking for ideas for travel-friendly construction; hadn't seen this one before.

Bring her out to the Cape sometime!
Jan 17, 2018, 06:52 PM
C'mon more Energy
Thnanks BDOG. I been looking for a little dune flier for Dad in the near future.
I was never overly happy with my Weasel, never seemed as nice as the original for some reason, so this might fit the bill.
Jan 17, 2018, 07:09 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Hey Jim : This picture should explain it better than my words.
It is really very simple,I plan on retro fitting my Zulu with it .
Yes : words do not flow easily off of these lips or my key board,I have the greatest respect for any one who does these threads ,some of the more frequent poster seem to do it so effortlessly.

I would love to make a run to the Cape ,I think I could convince my better half to come if I could guaranty great sea food....
Please let me know where and when you would recommend.
Hows that Mooney coming ? really nice to see a civilian subject
Jan 17, 2018, 10:02 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Swoop - I will drop you a line once I get mine out in the 10mph or so
Nice idea as a gift
Jan 18, 2018, 12:26 AM
C'mon more Energy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDOG1
Swoop - I will drop you a line once I get mine out in the 10mph or so
Nice idea as a gift
Thanks
Jan 18, 2018, 09:35 AM
Everything is broken
Thanks for the tail mount close-up. That is a clever design.

Best time for the Cape is early spring or after Labor Day through early winter. A couple of the other NY Dogs (Dave G. & Jim H.) seem to get down there once or twice a year. Get on Dave's "slope watch" email list and you'll hear when he's going. Or watch the CC thread.
Jan 18, 2018, 07:27 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
will do -Thanks Jim
Jan 19, 2018, 06:40 AM
very nice thread always good to have someone else add there two cents and outlook.
Looking forward to seeing you this spring if not sooner.
don

Quick Reply