Sep 16, 2019, 11:03 PM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
Great video.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 09:53 AM
The P-47 Thunderbolt 20cc is on sale as part of the Kickoff to Savings coupon promotion.

Save 15% with promo code online or at your local hobby retailer.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-arf-p-han2990
Oct 09, 2019, 10:23 PM
My brother and I just picked ours up!!! Now to pick out a cool livery.
Oct 10, 2019, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincfi
My brother and I just picked ours up!!! Now to pick out a cool livery.
Yup. Canít wait to get started. Iím trying to decide on glow or gas? What do you guys think?
Oct 11, 2019, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell shock 2
Great video.
Yeah, he really nailed that video. Good speaking voice as well.
Oct 11, 2019, 01:40 AM
flyin' Dude
Agreed. That’s as good a build vid as I have seen. Basically what I do, but he is smooooth. Thanks for turning us on.
Oct 11, 2019, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtach688
Yup. Can’t wait to get started. I’m trying to decide on glow or gas? What do you guys think?
Glow converted to CDI. Cheap, CDI 4 strokes on methanol make a ton of power and CDI lets you run 0% with the reliability of a gasser. Fuel economy is not bad on a 1.20 with CDI.

You can always go electric with a sound system too... what I'm doing for my 80" P40. I can field charge a battery for it in 15 minutes so no reason not to except sound. More power, absolute reliability, no tuning of any sort, 0 mess.
Oct 11, 2019, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow
Glow converted to CDI. Cheap, CDI 4 strokes on methanol make a ton of power and CDI lets you run 0% with the reliability of a gasser. Fuel economy is not bad on a 1.20 with CDI.

You can always go electric with a sound system too... what I'm doing for my 80" P40. I can field charge a battery for it in 15 minutes so no reason not to except sound. More power, absolute reliability, no tuning of any sort, 0 mess.
Yes, both my planes now converted to CDI Ch ignitions. Glo Easy to set up and the reliability and idle is fantastic.
Running leaner so less fuel consumption and no more prop throws or too lean detonation.

More power with glo and safer to store the fuel with no fumes.
Happy with my CDI glo
Oct 11, 2019, 02:48 AM
I had a FMS beaver electric with a mr RC sounds System.
Just not the same as an IC engine.
I ditched the electric for CDI glo
Oct 11, 2019, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahspidy
I had a FMS beaver electric with a mr RC sounds System.
Just not the same as an IC engine.
I ditched the electric for CDI glo
I run electric in almost everything now and anything over 10cc. Only thing I am keeping my nitro 4 strokes for are smaller warbirds and I am trying to get the VQ liberator shipped out here which will be 4x ASP .52s on CDI. Don't care too much about a $250 10cc size warbird piling in if I deadstick and the liberator if I lose an engine its not a huge deal like it would be on a twin. The P40 I will have about $1k into and I am NOT going to lose that one because the motor quits...

And yeah the fuel economy on the CDI really surprised me when I converted. Like 20 minutes easy out of an 8oz tank for a 10cc sized 4 stroke. 0% is cheap as hell to mix up myself.
Oct 11, 2019, 11:47 AM
flyin' Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtach688
Yup. Canít wait to get started. Iím trying to decide on glow or gas? What do you guys think?
I like gas for the price and convenience. I use E0 ďpure-gasĒ which doesnít stink and is only a few cents more than E10 pump gas which will stink up a garage or car. I have used 100LL as well which doesnít stink either but will leave minor lead deposits over time. Since this plane is bigger than the .60 size warbirds I have with 20cc engines, I think the VVRCRCGF 26cc would be a great choice. Tom does a good job with the RCGF line, Walbro carbs and most have Bowman rings too. And theyíre on sale this weekend. No I donít work for VVRC but I like doing business with them ;-) I have the VVRCRCGF 20RE in my TF P51 and it is a hot rod.
Oct 11, 2019, 02:59 PM
I've got a RCGF 26cc for sale actually... never been fired. From VVRC. Make me an offer.

I'm going mostly electric with just small displacement nitro for 10cc sized warbirds or a multi like the VQ liberator.

RCGF 26cc is legit THE PERFECT powerplant for the H9 P47 if you are going gasoline. Has 2 rings so compression is crazy.
Oct 11, 2019, 03:49 PM
Quote:
I run electric in almost everything now and anything over 10cc. Only thing I am keeping my nitro 4 strokes for are smaller warbirds and I am trying to get the VQ liberator shipped out here which will be 4x ASP .52s on CDI. Don't care too much about a $250 10cc size warbird piling in if I deadstick and the liberator if I lose an engine its not a huge deal like it would be on a twin. The P40 I will have about $1k into and I am NOT going to lose that one because the motor quits...

And yeah the fuel economy on the CDI really surprised me when I converted. Like 20 minutes easy out of an 8oz tank for a 10cc sized 4 stroke. 0% is cheap as hell to mix up myself.
I hear you on that, sounds like a good plan.
Iíve yet to have a dead stick so I havenít had that fear instilled in me yet.
In addition to the fuel economy of CDI, the reliability, lower idle and no worries of running too lean/ detonation prop throws is gone.

I have two 15cc/20cc planes. Setup a CDI in a Saito 150 with a 16oz tank and itís getting about 15 minutes runtime.
Oct 11, 2019, 03:52 PM
I can get 8-10 on electric and be recharged in 15 min... again why I'm going electric on almost everything. Hell I might even go electric on the B-24 and get a sound system... Its just way too nice to just plug in and go, land, charge and be back up in the air 15 minutes later. Thats just with one plane. 2 planes and you are flying all day. Me, at least as long as my generator fuel lasts which is 2 liters for 5 hours.
Oct 11, 2019, 04:02 PM
Quote:
I can get 8-10 on electric and be recharged in 15 min... again why I'm going electric on almost everything. Hell I might even go electric on the B-24 and get a sound system... Its just way too nice to just plug in and go, land, charge and be back up in the air 15 minutes later. Thats just with one plane. 2 planes and you are flying all day. Me, at least as long as my generator fuel lasts which is 2 liters for 5 hours.
Multi engine planes are definitely easier with electric.
Also, if I ever decided to get into jets I’d go electric with 90 EDF models.
The sound of the EDF jets are pretty cool as well.

If your interested, I’ve got a couple of 5000mah 6S Admiral packs with about a dozen flights on each.
Well maintained and stored properly.
Last edited by Gahspidy; Oct 11, 2019 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply