The Hobby Needs A Large OV-10 Bronco - RC Groups

The Hobby Needs A Large OV-10 Bronco

We've seen enough of the single-engine warbirds! It's time to produce this seldom modeled twin turbo-prop that's been flying for 53 years.

The Hobby Needs A Large OV-10 Bronco

My Case For a Big Boy OV-10 ARF

You may have heard my incessant babbling on the RCGroups weekly podcast, proclaiming my love for the North American Rockwell OV-10 and the need for ARF manufacturers to step up to the proverbial plate. I've been a fan of this twin-engine turbo prop since forever, and I think it's high time we saw one in the 2+ meter (80+ inch) range. But wait! Don't we already have some OV-10's floating around in almost-ready-to-fly form? Sure, but most are lacking in one way or another, and many just fade away into "discontinued" status for various reasons.

If you're anything like me, you can appreciate the rugged, utilitarian look of the OV-10 Bronco. Much like the A-10 Thunderbolt, the Bronco's twin boom, twin engine design is very unique and quite beautiful when modeled correctly. Yes, there are some smaller wood kits and ARF aircraft available, but they lack detail and are often hard to acquire. KMP made a 96" Bronco, and Nitroplanes currently sells a 49" OV-10, but with fixed wire landing gear and very little structural detail, it leaves much to be desired.

WWII Warbird Overload

ARF Manufacturers and retailers have long concentrated on producing a handful of popular warbirds from the second World War, and to be frank, I don't know how much more I can take! The P-51 and P-47 have been modeled in every conceivable form, with every pinup girl and nose art livery possible. True, detail gets better, drop tanks are added, and foam modeling becomes more accurate. But in the end, we're still seeing the same propeller-driven fighters with "new and improved" antennas glued into the turtle deck. This has to stop.

Construction And Power

Foam falls into two categories: you hate it or you love it. I'm in the latter camp, as I appreciate EPO foam's ability to be formed into detailed fuselage and wing structures while still retaining durability. Take a look at the relatively new FMS F7F Tigercat. True, it's the WWII era fighter that I was complaining about earlier, but it's unique! The EPO foam construction allows for molded panel lines and rivets, and very accurate compound curves that are few and far between in the balsa ARF world. The balsa aficionado would argue that modern printed covering allows for graphic-rendered panels and features, but it's just not the same. Given EPO's ability to render accurate lines and very scale details in three dimensions, I feel that a large-scale ARF Bronco should be constructed in foam.

Moving on to powering a giant-scale Bronco, the obvious choice is an electric configuration; no turbo-prop should make a fast and low pass while emitting the sound of a gas engine! We'll leave that to the piston-driven fighters. Scale 3-blade props, a pair of 40-sized brushless outrunners, and a pair of 4s Lipos should suffice if the flying weight is around 13 lbs. Any heavier, and the increased voltage from a pair of 6s LiPos would be in order.

My Closing Argument

The F7F Tigercats produced by FMS and Motion RC/Flightline prove that people will buy a scale foam military twin, and we're all begging manufacturers to stop with the P-47s, the P-51s, and even the F4U Corsairs. The majority of WWII aircraft have been produced ad nauseam, and throwing a scale cockpit and drop tanks at these aircraft doesn't change the fact that yours is only slightly better than the eight others on the flight line. The OV-10 Bronco is a unique aircraft, and a very successful one at that. It's been used throughout the Vietnam war era, to present day as a firefighting tool for the USDA Forest Service, and it's even being pushed back into service fighting ISIS in the Middle East; honoring an aircraft with such a rich history only makes sense!

We need something new, something exciting, and something larger than a 60" wingspan. The North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco is the answer. So all you foam manufacturers out there: FMS, Motion RC/Flightline, Horizon Hobby, Dynam, Hobbyking/Avios, and Freewing, listen up! While I can't promise an OV-10 will ever sell as many units as the P-47 has over the years, I can promise that bringing one to the market will attract more attention than a "new and improved" Razorback with a rare nose art. I'll be waiting.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 19, 2018 at 07:39 AM..
Jan 16, 2018, 11:40 AM
RCGroups Editor
Chime in everyone! Whether you're for it or against it, a dreamer or a realist, I'd love to hear your opinion on the Bronco.
Jan 16, 2018, 11:45 AM
Nice plane .......As long as it is set up to do 3D........hahhahhahaha
Jan 16, 2018, 11:46 AM
Admin Deluxe
Like.
Jan 16, 2018, 11:56 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Yes!
Jan 16, 2018, 12:13 PM
Carbon Z Bronco....sure thing!
Jan 16, 2018, 12:18 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Concur. Something that can handle far from perfect grass fields, golf course rough type. Too many require fairway quality to keep from ripping out landing gear. Most grass fields are no way near that good.
Jan 16, 2018, 12:18 PM
Admin Deluxe
Yes czb!
Jan 16, 2018, 12:29 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Just a suggestion -- ask Chris Hinson of extremeflight. He might be interested.
Jan 16, 2018, 12:37 PM
Heck yes!
Jan 16, 2018, 12:43 PM
I agree on a carbon z bronco.
Jan 16, 2018, 12:47 PM
killickb
Flying the old K&A version now but heck yes I am in on a large foamy twin Bronco ! When we do get a unique twin -- TigerCat, A-10 etc what do we get but two of them coming to market at same time ! Hard to believe that the P-51, P47, Corsair etc market wasn't saturated long, long ago.
Last edited by killickb; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
Jan 16, 2018, 12:57 PM
Pro Hoarder

Broncos rule!

A big Bronco would be great. With the scale gear would fly off grass any where..I was flying my small K&A Bronco this weekend..
Jan 16, 2018, 01:07 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
The full scale OV-10 is an aerobatic ship. I helped build them and flew one with Ed Gillespie, the NA test pilot. Try a 7 second turn around on a gun strafing run. Ed blacked me out then I got My suit plugged in. The OV -10 is a very agile and responsive craft to fly, would love to have one myself.
Jan 16, 2018, 01:17 PM
Rich Uravitch has a 56 version and an 80 inch version both can be electrified. Plastic parts and wood pack are available from his site, http://www.richuravitch.com/index.html. The plans are available from Model Airplane News. He used to sell I believe an 80 inch ARF through his HobbyHanger site under the name Scaletech. I do not believe this site is available anymore along with the ARF.

Quick Reply