Tron inspired canard type build - RC Groups
Jan 07, 2018, 06:59 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Build Log

Tron inspired canard type build

Ok, here I go again trying to get another canard type plane to come out like I plan it. My success ratio hasn't been to good, most of my builds fly but they don't look or perform how I imagine them when building them. I don't have any degrees in aeronautics or a lot of skills in planning or building planes, but I enjoy doing it.....which is what I think is the main criteria for this hobby.
Anyways, background story for this build. I was watching Tron...the latest one, not the original.... on TV the other night and during one part of the show one of the small planes in the chase scene caught my eye. I'm just gonna call it the Tron ship interceptor, it was facing the opposite direction and I thought this would make a cool looking canard type plane. So I traced the image onto some paper from the TV and did some refinement then proceeded to make a chuck glider to see if it would fly. The chuck glider looks like I envisioned it....bonus, the plane looked like I wanted it to...., added some adjustable weight for the CG and proceeded with the flight part....bonus number two, it glides pretty good..... Now the fun part of making it bigger and seeing if that will fly.

Edit: plans posted on page 2 but posted design have not been thoroughly tested yet. The plans will fit on one sheet of dollar tree foam.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jan 19, 2018 at 06:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2018, 07:04 PM
The pics. The black spec on the Chuck glider is the lead weight for CG adjustment.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jan 08, 2018 at 08:31 PM.
Jan 07, 2018, 10:29 PM
Digging it.
Jan 08, 2018, 06:00 AM
Liking this a lot!
Jan 08, 2018, 06:51 AM
Got a little done last night before going to bed. Since I don't have the skills of some of these artists here, this will be a simple flat wing build with KFM to hide the spars.
Made some simple plans using an older program that I know how to use.....still trying to learn sketchup, once I get that down its going be alot easier, quicker, and better fitting parts ....once I see how it all fits together I'll post the plans after the adjustments.
Jan 08, 2018, 08:29 PM
Got the fuse put together tonight, not really much time to put in any real work to it. Put in some temporary...formers, I think they're called...just to keep the fuse even and level. Once I get the electrics put in a see how it balances with the battery I'll change it up to fit better.
Jan 09, 2018, 07:07 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Tim , you did see this huh ? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...on+movie+plane
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 09, 2018, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Well, but of course, Glen. made one about 120% size out of DTF back in 2014 when my building skills were worse than they are now...not saying I'm much better now tho...Flew like a wounded duck, because of my build not the plane. Still have and still fly the precut one I bought from SGTalon afterwards, amazing the difference how well a properly cut and built plane can fly.
Jan 10, 2018, 09:06 AM
Got it all together and started to put on some packaging tape for added strength and hanger rash reduction. I'm really surprised at how stiff it is already, I guess I must have done something right putting it together. Now if I get twice lucky and it flys as good as I think it looks I'll be a happy camper.
Jan 10, 2018, 09:13 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if you could add something like this: https://www.banggood.com/4M-10-color...r_warehouse=CN
Jan 10, 2018, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Wouldn't it be cool if you could add something like this: https://www.banggood.com/4M-10-color...r_warehouse=CN
Says it only needs 3 v for those wires, might be easily adapted to the plane, electronics are not something I have alot of knowledge in. I have a tron plane that this would look cool on. This one tho is less tron like since I reversed it, but it would be neat to have them for some night flying.
Jan 11, 2018, 08:06 PM
Almost done, just gonna temporarily tape the top on when I give it some test flights to determine the exact CG.
I put in a little bit of dihedral in the main wings to hopefully help with the flight. Going with a smallish motor and lighter battery to keep the weight down for lighter crash control. If it does well I may put on a bigger motor for more speed just because.
AUW with the current setup was just a little over 200 grams. Not too bad for one sheet of dollar tree foam, bamboo, packing tape, and all of the electrics, expecially with how stiff and sturdy it feels.
Now the hardest part....waiting for a decent day to maiden.
Jan 12, 2018, 12:49 AM
Good job! It looks funky and wild. I like funky and wild. I would have to wonder how the canard will be treated by the elevons. I can see pitching problems but sure hope I'm wrong. I don't mind being wrong.
Jan 12, 2018, 05:33 AM
Thank you, in all honesty I have no idea how it will fly. I just like making weird planes and enjoy them when they do fly. I do have some good feelings that this will fly ok due to the Chuck glider's performance, probably be a little bit of consent hands on the controls but if it stays in the air I'll accept that. If it doesn't do well I'll accept that too, it's part of the building and learning process. For only about 10-12 hours of enjoyable hobby time from planning to finish,and about $2 worth of foam, glue and bamboo....and maybe a $4 servo on a bad landing, aka crash...I'm happy either way.
I've been looking at the canard and I think I found a way to make functional elevators on them, problem is the location where I have to mount the battery to balance the plane is in the way....Eh, see how it flys first, worry about needing elevators later.
Jan 12, 2018, 04:14 PM
Looks great Timbo. It is really statisfying to fly a wierd set up especially when thet fly well. It looks pretty stable. Usually if it passes the eye test it will work. Good luck and keep us posted on how well it goes.

Quick Reply