Feb 02, 2018, 04:18 PM
Im pretty sure some of the DLG guys have these planes, Mickey, Dave, Cory and Nathan Miller hopefully they will show up!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2018, 11:05 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Andersen
I built a "Tarantula Hawk" that has morphed into the "Yellow Jacket". A very nice kit made by Sonoran Laser Art in Arizona. Nice kit flies great, deserves more attention. A version for an electric fuse is also available.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2M-Competition
And as fate would have it, I helped you program the brake and launched it for you two days ago at Vista View Park in Davie, Florida!

It's a nice plane and it's a small world.
Latest blog entry: How To Get a Custom AMA Number
Feb 19, 2018, 10:35 PM

I'm in

Will finish my X-RES over the next 2 days and then practice, practice, repair, etc. The San Felasco bunch have at least 3 ships so I'll talk to Dave and Mike about making up a team.
Feb 19, 2018, 11:11 PM
ʇsol
I'm...close. Trying to get the wings finished on my Chrysalis Lite. The Gentle Lady is ready if push comes to shove. I'm still in the CAD stages for a another alternative
Feb 21, 2018, 09:28 PM
W.F.G.D

Tanantula Hawk

I guess my THawk with a Pod and boom from CLM-Pro would not be allowed.
Feb 22, 2018, 08:46 AM
ʇsol
Don't know...here are excerpts from the rules:

“1,(a): F3B-RES” is a competitive class for radio-controlled gliders with a maximum of two (2) meter wingspan constructed predominantly of wood. Control is via elevator, rudder and spoiler. If used, spoiler(s) must be on the wing upper surface at least 5 cm ahead of the trailing edge. The spoiler(s) can be controlled with either one or two servos. Launches are to be done with a hi-start (see Section 6).

2. Model:

2.1. A model normally consists of wings, fuselage and tail. Flying wing models that do not have a fuselage and rudder or vertical stabilizer, or none of these components arealso allowed if they have a total of only two (2) control surfaces. Each of these control surfaces must be actuated by only one servo. Otherwise, the building codes for a conventional model described herein apply. The model shall be fabricated primarily from wood. This means:

a) For the wings, GRP/CFRP/Kevlar tubes or shapes may only be used for spars, wing leading edge and joiners.

b)The tail boom for the tail unit may consist of a GRP/CFRP/Kevlar tube or shapes. The composite tube or shape may not extend forward of the middle of the root chord of the wing.

c) The wood parts of the fuselage may be reinforced on their surfacewith GRP/CFRP/Kevlar.

d) Control rods are exempted from CFK/GFK constraint.

2.2.The following Are Not allowed:

a) An all-GRP/CFRP/Kevlar or other plastic fuselage or fuselage pod

b) GRP/CRP/Kevlar monocoque construction wing or tail leading edge, also no GRP/CRP/Kevlar D-Box

c) A stabilizer or wing made of GRP/CFRP/Kevlar foam planked or other plastic construction.

d) Fixed and retractable devices for braking the model on Landing on the ground (e.g. bolts, serrated protruding devices, etc.). Nothing may protrude from the bottom of the fuselage other than up to two Towhooks (each a maximum of 5 mm wide x 15 mm high, seen from the front). The Towhook may be adjustable, but not by remote control.

e) External ballast.

f) Any telemetry with the exception of radio signal strength, receiver temperature and battery voltage.

g) Use of telecommunication systems on the airfield by competitor and their helpers (radios and phones included).
Feb 22, 2018, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbitz
I guess my THawk with a Pod and boom from CLM-Pro would not be allowed.
Unfortunatley no! All composite pods are not allowed.
Rule 2.2 a
Sorry
Raed

"2.2. The following Are Not allowed:
a) An all-GRP/CFRP/Kevlar or other plastic fuselage or fuselage pod"
Last edited by raed5; Feb 22, 2018 at 07:38 PM.
Mar 06, 2018, 06:36 AM
Finished X-RES and test flew yesterday. Hand tossed and then bungied up twice. Both flights were low releases and low energy. Both flights thermalled out in light lift to scary heights for a two meter (yes eyes are my handicap besides the thumbs). Love this airplane. Hopefully I can keep from breaking this one. Next have to test fly with ballast kit. Have one, two, and three ounce sets. Anyone flown this plane with ballast?

(Don Grisham is CDing FSS #2A ALES at Fort Christmas on Saturday, April 7, 2018. How about making this F3-RES contest a one-day only event on Sunday, April 8? If you did that, I'd be interested in getting myself some sort of F3-RES compliant glider and staying overnight for both events.)- Mike, If you want to stay over I would be up for some F3RES practice on Sunday or come up to SARCF site? Got that plane yet? JK
Last edited by roxaneandjohn; Mar 06, 2018 at 06:51 AM.
Mar 06, 2018, 07:56 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxaneandjohn
Got that plane yet?
Not sure. I'll find out at the St. Augustine contest.
Latest blog entry: How To Get a Custom AMA Number
Mar 10, 2018, 10:06 AM
About the X-RES and ballast: I use a brass tube filled with lead shot, about 80g. The airplane carries it very well. I doubt more weight would be better. The tube I use slides into the holes provided in the bulkheads under the wing. I experimented, and finally glued in a little piece of balsa at the rear, so CG is good, with or without ballast.

Don't be in a hurry to use ballast. I use it to counter turbulence, not because wind exceeds a certain speed.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
Mar 17, 2018, 10:31 PM

piolots list

Doug Chaiberlain
Raed Elazzawie
Steve Blake
Mar 17, 2018, 10:32 PM
ooops pilots
Mar 17, 2018, 11:12 PM
ʇsol
Add me as a hopeful:

Doug Chaiberlain
Raed Elazzawie
Steve Blake
Scott Keating
Mar 18, 2018, 07:38 AM
Doug Chaiberlain
Raed Elazzawie
Steve Blake
Scott Keating
John Kennedy

Scott, None of this hopeful stuff! You need to be there; some lucky team will be counting on you. Who's putting together the teams? Raed , you started this stuff? Best to wait until day of event and draw lottery? Since it's first time, no real team advantage; huge learning opportunity.
Mar 18, 2018, 08:26 AM
ʇsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxaneandjohn
Scott, None of this hopeful stuff! You need to be there; some lucky team will be counting on you. Who's putting together the teams? Raed , you started this stuff? Best to wait until day of event and draw lottery? Since it's first time, no real team advantage; huge learning opportunity.
Depends on work, mostly!

Quick Reply