Florida Spring F3RES Apr 14-15 2018 - RC Groups
Jan 07, 2018, 06:08 PM
Contest

Florida Spring F3RES Apr 14-15 2018

The Orlando Buzzards invites you to attend our first ever F3RES soaring contest, Sat and Sun Apri 14-15 2018 at our Fort Christmas Flying field.
Pilots meeting at 9:45 saturday flying starts at 10, Sunday flying starts at 9am
We intend on running the event closely following the European rules for F3RES.
-This will be a two day event (one contest over the two days)
-Pilots will be divided in teams of at least 3 pilots.
-We will set up 6 legal histarts, and 6 landing zones
-Drop one round score after 7 rounds of flying.
-Awards to 3rd place in one pilot class.
-Limited to 2 meter wing span RES , built up wood construction, carbon allowed in tail boom, spar and leading edges.
Flying field located at:
1543 North Fort Christmas Road,
Christmas FL 32709
Directly across from the Historical Fort Christmas Park

GPS: 2833’51″N (28.5642)
81 01’15″W (-81.0210)

Club web site: orlandobuzzards.org

Here is an English translation of the official F3RES rules:
Last edited by raed5; Jan 07, 2018 at 07:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2018, 06:28 PM

Contest

I'm in for Saturday, hope you can get me on a team that has a Sunday flyer.
Jan 08, 2018, 07:12 PM
Im in this should be a good one
Jan 08, 2018, 07:21 PM
ʇsol
Sounds like I'm going to have to get cracking on my Chrysallis Lite... or just cope with the Gentle Lady!
Latest blog entry: Mystery glider '18
Jan 08, 2018, 08:20 PM
I have my MAD-RES flying and hope to have my new X-RES flying by contest time. I'm excited! JK
Jan 09, 2018, 08:28 AM
Registered Taranis User
Okay, so where do you get one of these F3-RES gliders? Is it a class meant just for builders? Do you have to build your own or can you find a suitable ARF somewhere? I found this thread, does anyone have anything to add to it?
Jan 09, 2018, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Okay, so where do you get one of these F3-RES gliders? Is it a class meant just for builders? Do you have to build your own or can you find a suitable ARF somewhere? I found this thread, does anyone have anything to add to it?
A few Buzzards did a group buy last year, we got the X-RES, we bought them from Hyper Flight in the UK, he shipped them fast and reasonable shipping cost.
You don’t have to be the builder of the model, not sure if there are any ARF’s available,
Any built up two meter meeting the official rules would do, a GL is fine, though the F3RES specific models are designed for the purpose, light weight and good airfoils.
A lot of info is available on Rc groups under the “thermal” section.
Raed
Jan 09, 2018, 06:00 PM
I’ve seen a few for sale on RC Groups RTF at really good prices. These
Planes fly really well. I know there’s quite a few people with these planes around our area and beyond , good time to come and show what you’ve got . It’s going to be fun .
Jan 19, 2018, 08:20 AM
Quote:
I built a "Tarantula Hawk" that has morphed into the "Yellow Jacket". A very nice kit made by Sonoran Laser Art in Arizona. Nice kit flies great, deserves more attention. A version for an electric fuse is also available.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2M-Competition
Jan 19, 2018, 09:30 AM
I am very excited to see another contest for F3RES pop up, and I hope to make it. Unfortunately, it is about a week before my wife and I depart to Germany to see our son and grandson - and maybe fly an F3RES contest over there!

For those who wonder what airplane, here's a helpful hint: they all seem to work fine. We have flown the PuRES, Slite, X-RES, Fresh, AndREaS, Opal, Yellow Jacket, Baba Jaga C, PicaRES, RESi, and Chrysalis Lite. Any one could be a winner, if you fly it right. Or, to put it another way: you can't lose.

Only the RESi is available as an ARF. As an ARF, there are construction techniques and design features that make it heavier than the others, also draggier. However, the large wing area and all-flying, V-tail make up for that with excellent launch and delightful handling qualities. The RESi takes me about ten hours to assemble, almost half that sanding the wing joiners to the correct diameter.

Let me foot-stomp the Opal, Yellow Jacket and Chyrsalis LIte: all three are produced here in America. The Opal is a Peter Goldsmith design, and is marketed through Kennedy Composites. Old-school design, combined with attention to detail make this a great ship to fly. Building requires some experience. The Yellow Jacket is designed by Corky Miller of Sonoran Laser Arts, and is a superb piece of work that builds straight and flies well. The wing design makes it easy to build straight and true. The Chyrsalis Lite is from DJAerotek. I haven't built one myself, but have had numerous kits from those guys, and Don Stackhouse surely knows what he is doing.

If you order from Sonoran Laser Arts, Kennedy Composites (who doesn't know Barry Kennedy?) or DJ Aerotek, you probably know what you are going to get: good service and quick delivery on whatever is in stock. If you order from Neil at Hyperflight.co.uk, delivery is typically less than one week. The various German dealers offer superb kits and great service, but German customs can hold things up for multiple weeks, and there is nothing anyone can do. My son lives in Germany, does business globally, and German customs works equally well both coming and going, and it is a pain in the patoot.

If you don't have one of these great little ships and you want one, here is what you do: (1) Order NOW!!! (2) get building (I take about 2 weeks, working in 2- and 3-hour sessions five or six days a week. Building takes between 25 and 35 total hours, depending on the kit).

You can trot out your Olys, Gentle Ladies and Lil Birds, but you will carry the penalty of flying a heavier, slower bird. The others will out climb you in lift, out run you in sink, and out launch every time.

No, I don't build for others. Too busy.

I sure hope I can make it to Florida. These are fun contests.

Yours, Greg
Last edited by glidermang; Jan 19, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Jan 19, 2018, 10:54 AM
Thank you Greg for the wealth of information, I will probably bug you with question that arise about running the contest in next coming weeks.
Last edited by raed5; Jan 27, 2018 at 05:43 AM.
Jan 26, 2018, 06:07 PM
Ben
I'm in. Have a MAD-RES gathering dust, good chance to get out and have fun.
Jan 26, 2018, 07:09 PM
Registered Taranis User
You know what might work out better?

Don Grisham is CDing FSS #2A ALES at Fort Christmas on Saturday, April 7, 2018. How about making this F3-RES contest a one-day only event on Sunday, April 8? If you did that, I'd be interested in getting myself some sort of F3-RES compliant glider and staying overnight for both events.
Jan 27, 2018, 05:49 AM
Quote:
You know what might work out better?

Don Grisham is CDing FSS #2A ALES at Fort Christmas on Saturday, April 7, 2018. How about making this F3-RES contest a one-day only event on Sunday, April 8? If you did that, I'd be interested in getting myself some sort of F3-RES compliant glider and staying overnight for both events.
That is a good idea Mike, unfortunately though, F3RES needs to be on two days to get enough rounds in to make it worth it. Similar to f3j where you fly in a team of 3 pilots (maybe 4 if a lot of pilots participate), so it takes three flight groups to finish a round.
Raed
Last edited by raed5; Feb 02, 2018 at 04:52 AM.
Feb 01, 2018, 07:43 PM
R2R
R2R
I'm in. I have an Opal in progress.

Allan

Quick Reply