Charger Imax B6 + Parallel Charging Board + Lipo 2s - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 07, 2018, 11:15 AM
Help!

Charger Imax B6 + Parallel Charging Board + Lipo 2s

Hello guys,

Which settings I should use to charge my 2 lipos 2s ?
Here is the configuration :
- Imax B6 Charger
- Power Genius PG Parallel Charging Board
- Eachine 2S 7.4V 450mAh 80C Lipo Battery
- Gaoneng GNB 7.4V 550mAh 2S 80/160C Lipo Battery

Please find attached a picture of the configuration
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2018, 12:13 PM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
Select "LiPo Balance",

Press "Enter" to adjust the Amps. If i have time I like to charge at 0.5C as it's better for the batteries plus safer (very low risk of too much charge going to a single battery causing a fire/explosion). So in your case you have 0.450 + 0.55 = 1.0 AH. and 0.5C of that = 0.5A charge rate, so use the Dec and Inc buttons to adjust.

Press "Enter" again to select the correct number of cells i.e 2C in your case.

Press and hold "Enter" to check the batteries and if the charger shows 2C and 2C then press "Enter" again to start charging.

Another useful thing is pressing "Inc" while charging which toggles between the normal charge screen and a view which shows the individual cell voltages. Not so relevant with a balance board with multiple batteries but useful if a single battery is plugged in.
Jan 08, 2018, 02:37 PM
Thank you very much FlyingBoats !
So balance charging, 2S (7,4v) at 0.5A

A last thing : are you agree with that :" ensure they are at a similar voltage level : small differences are allowed, generally a difference within 0.1V is acceptable." 0,1V sounds very few ! can't we go until let's say 0,5v ?
Jan 09, 2018, 12:35 AM
Yes 0.5 amps should be very safe. Depending on the batteries you can charge faster however (a) there is higher risk fast charging on a balance board as one cell may overcharge and (b) it's easier on the batteries slow charging.

0.5 volts is a large difference! Fully charged is 4.2 volts per cell and you should aim to not go below 3.7 volts per cell by the end of your flight (measured at resting voltage, not while still connected to your RC model). 0.5V equates to 80% of the LiPo capacity and because these batteries have very low resistance there will be a large amp flow from the 4.2 volt cells to the 3.7 volt cells which can damage batteries and even start a fire! If the batteries are that far apart just charge them individually.

I use a battery tester/alarm unit that the buzzer has failed on to quickly check the cell voltages and adjust the timer on my Tx so that the cells usually end up at around 3.75 volts. Tester is liek this and simply plugs into the balance plug: https://www.banggood.com/Lipo-Batter...r_warehouse=CN
Jan 09, 2018, 07:33 AM
Do not connect batteries that are too far apart in charge, as stated above it can cause large amount of current to flow as they try to equalise themselfs. I burn out 1 side of my parallel charging board doing this when i hooked up the balance tap.
Jan 10, 2018, 12:36 AM
For real fun you need to try reverse plugging the balance leads -not! Had a couple of times in poor light where I have gone to plug batteries and got them around the wrong way. The sparks tend to highlight there may be a problem! Consequently have a couple of balance ports on the parallel board with completely melted pins

You soon learn to treat these batteries with respect. Can't imagine the fireworks you'd see with the big 5000mAH 6S packs if you got it wrong
Jan 10, 2018, 02:55 PM
Quote:
0.5 volts is a large difference! Fully charged is 4.2 volts per cell and you should aim to not go below 3.7 volts per cell by the end of your flight
Very true I didn't realise that

Thank you guys for your support
Jan 12, 2018, 12:04 AM
Here's some great info how to safely (as much as possible) parallel charge.
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-...allel-charging
Jan 13, 2018, 02:27 AM
There's good info in that link, thanks for sharing it. The one thing that isn't really covered is the danger is a cell or battery goes bad. Particularly if charging at high C rates (to me anyhting above 1C qualifies) there is potentially a lot of charge energy available should a cell fail and take more current/convert it into heat. Obviously if charging a single battery that's never an issue but the greater number of batteries on the parallel board, the more danger plus also the risk is much greater if a cell bursts into flames with all the other batteries adjacent to it.
Jan 13, 2018, 02:19 PM
I have a blog entry that explains how to charge your batteries and uses the iMax B6AC V2 Dual Power Battery charger as an example. You can find that here. I am literally editing a video right now that will post on Monday and explains in detail how to charge a battery using this charger. I'll post a link in my next blog post.

Quick Reply