Nov 24, 2018, 11:40 PM
Where is the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFlight
If I may comment on the launch direction: the FAI rule is written this way because the official timers stand (in line) downwind from the pilots.
interesting that a rule would be written based on the position of an official timer. In hand launch, the timers move as needed, I’m pretty sure there is room for them to do the same in F5J. Just an observation, I may not have the “big picture”

Charlie
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2018, 07:54 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP

Final: Changes to 2019 Tour rules and qualifying events

The Tour Advisory Group had a final discussion after reviewing your proposal comments in this thread and has decided on the following changes that are now active and available on the Tour website. Pages that have changed include the Qualifying Events, Contest Rules, Pilots Standing Scoring, and CD Guidelines pages.

1. Stability systems allowed - The Tour Advisory Group voted 4 to 2 to allow stability systems (chairman does not vote) based on their interpretations of the current FAI rules. Be aware that there is a discussion going on in Europe about this (that the Tour has briefly participated in) and that pilot groups from many countries are producing statements for the FAI rules committee that state their desire to have the rules clarified and stability systems banned from F5J. If/when the FAI clarifies or changes this rule we will respond. I personally apologize for stating earlier that your responses could have an impact on Tour rules; in this particular case they were not given overriding weight.

2. We are retaining the emergency motor restart rule for 2019.

3. 3-second launch delay before turning - We have added this as a new safety rule for 2019 (Details here).

4. We have increased the minimum pilots from 6 to 10 for multi-day events. We will retain the 6-pilot minimum for 1-day events in 2019.

5. We have re-worded the Qualifying Events page rules to define and include multi-day events that are more than 2 days long.

6. We will NOT be doubling the pilot bonus points for multi-day events that are longer than 2 days.

7. We have extended the Tour event application cutoff date for contests from June 30 to August 15.

8. We have added an item to the Qualifying Events page that explains how clubs can include woodies and other lower-cost models in their Tour events. This will include explaining how these planes can be flown legally (i.e. under existing FAI and Tour rules) in separate classes that would enable clubs to issue separate class-based awards if they chose to do so.

Thanks to all who participated in our poll and discussion. The 2019 season starts this weekend in Phoenix. Looking forward to seeing many of you there!

Chris
Nov 27, 2018, 03:25 PM
—T—
Chris,

Regarding stability systems...is allowing stability systems required for a contest to qualify for the tour, or it is up to the CD’s discretion?

-Randy
Nov 27, 2018, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Hi Randy, since a majority of the Adv Group believes that the current FAI rules support the use of stability systems, until we hear otherwise from the FAI it is a valid rule at all Tour events.
Nov 27, 2018, 05:27 PM
Thank you for including the woodie/foamy option in the Qualifying Events description. I think that will do a lot to encourage more pilots to get involved in, or at least try out F5J.
Nov 29, 2018, 09:36 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnshagam
Thank you for including the woodie/foamy option in the Qualifying Events description. I think that will do a lot to encourage more pilots to get involved in, or at least try out F5J.
I second that, It's very much appreciated. Our contest last Saturday had 17 pilots of which 7 were in the wood build up foamy class. I think it's going grow. Thank you Lee Wolf
Dec 04, 2018, 02:30 AM
Thread OP

2018 Tour Awards Ceremony was held

After Saturday's flights at the F5J in the Desert event near Phoenix the 2018 season Top 10 were recognized. Check out the post in the F5J in the Desert thread here for pics and more info.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Dec 13, 2018, 11:13 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Registration and info for East Coast F5J Spring Festival 2019!
Please sign up and join us in April.

Quick Reply