Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by RcRav, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 05, 2018, 07:41 AM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
Discussion

RCdiy S6R Web Post Feedback


Please provide feedback below to help improve what I’ve posted here http://rcdiy.ca/sxr-setup-s6r-s8r/.

For help please use this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Port-Telemetry

Please do not private message me for help
Last edited by RcRav; Jan 07, 2018 at 11:15 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2018, 09:27 AM
Registered User
I actually printed your manual and used as "memo" for my setup - BTW big thanks for whole your effort about FrSky equipment and OpenTx stuff - but I can still see some points that total beginner could stumble on:

1) - "Do Not Install The Receiver – Do not install the receiver in a model until you have been through the setup at least once on the bench."

- agree - familiarization is highly recommended - but please add a big warning if they try to use STK tool and servos connected - BIG NO NO

2) - "Channel 5 – Ignore, use a Y cable for the Ailerons on channel 1 (Aileron)"

- I think you addressing very common but still specific case of beginners model - for example - in my MPX Easy Glider Pro - which is very good beginners candidate for using SxR (in my opinion) - I use "spoilers" - for which I need separate Ail 2

If necessary will add things when I read more thoroughly - again BIG thanks for your effort

b.r. Darko
Jan 05, 2018, 11:36 AM
Registered User
racermark's Avatar
Thank You Sir
Mark
Jan 05, 2018, 04:07 PM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
Thanks.
Done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko FC
I actually printed your manual and used as "memo" for my setup - BTW big thanks for whole your effort about FrSky equipment and OpenTx stuff - but I can still see some points that total beginner could stumble on:

1) - "Do Not Install The Receiver – Do not install the receiver in a model until you have been through the setup at least once on the bench."

- agree - familiarization is highly recommended - but please add a big warning if they try to use STK tool and servos connected - BIG NO NO

2) - "Channel 5 – Ignore, use a Y cable for the Ailerons on channel 1 (Aileron)"

- I think you addressing very common but still specific case of beginners model - for example - in my MPX Easy Glider Pro - which is very good beginners candidate for using SxR (in my opinion) - I use "spoilers" - for which I need separate Ail 2

If necessary will add things when I read more thoroughly - again BIG thanks for your effort

b.r. Darko
Jan 06, 2018, 12:03 AM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Finally got the time to look through this document. Exceptional work. Best resource out there.

Suggestions. Might consider color coding the text for Simple mode and "normal" mode -- or come up with some way to have a greater emphasis on the fact that they are really different.

On the Self check -- you did mention to set Rates on High .. I believe it would be prudent to also have the throws on the aircraft set up before this step. Not everybody understands the difference between an aircraft stalling and a control surface stalling - but I'm confident you do so this will probably make sense to you.

I don't recall seeing anything about the bluetooth application on iOS. As this application is currently out of date I think it merits mention that while it's available it's not advisable to use. (It doesn't address quick /simple/convenient mode)

Think it might be worthwhile to state that (at this time) the receiver is shipped with Simple mode - but the included instructions don't include simple mode instructions - so the best source of information (only source) is your instructions page.
Jan 06, 2018, 11:17 AM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Finally got the time to look through this document. Exceptional work. Best resource out there.
Suggestions. Might consider color coding the text for Simple mode and "normal" mode -- or come up with some way to have a greater emphasis on the fact that they are really different.
Added a heading Non Quick |Mode (Advanced) nearer the top where I explain simple, quick and convenient.


Quote:
On the Self check -- you did mention to set Rates on High .. I believe it would be prudent to also have the throws on the aircraft set up before this step. Not everybody understands the difference between an aircraft stalling and a control surface stalling - but I'm confident you do so this will probably make sense to you.

This exists under Program the transmitter > Channels 1 through 4 (But I made some changes to make it clearer.


Quote:
I don't recall seeing anything about the bluetooth application on iOS. As this application is currently out of date I think it merits mention that while it's available it's not advisable to use. (It doesn't address quick /simple/convenient mode)

Added under Tips & Notes


Quote:
Think it might be worthwhile to state that (at this time) the receiver is shipped with Simple mode - but the included instructions don't include simple mode instructions - so the best source of information (only source) is your instructions page.
I'll have to think about this. Maybe I'll add a generic tip and note that states that only follow one guide at a time and not to try and use different guides for different parts.
Last edited by RcRav; Jan 06, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
Jan 06, 2018, 11:46 AM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
While clearly very useful, it is, to my mind, more of a "Using the S6R/S8R with openTx on a FSky transmitter" guide.
The S6R/S8R works well with ersky9x on FrSky and other transmitters as well. Because LUA scripts use a lot of RAM, I've implemented a script language, based on the BASIC language, and have a configuration script for the S6R/S8R working. As this script language uses MUCH less RAM, it runs on the SKY, 9Xtreme and AR9X upgrade boards, and on the 9XR-PRO (all with a XJT module of course) as well as on FrSky transmitters running ersky9x.

The manual that FrSky supply does need to explain how the Rx works, and what you need to do to configure it, but shouldn't be aimed only at openTx on FrSky transmitters.

Mike.
I'm communicating with Mike to add links for users of ersky9x.
Jan 06, 2018, 12:06 PM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
I did a web search and found http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9291
The first post has a write up on providing support for SxR on ersky9x with attached files that run on a computer. I could not locate in that first (or missed it) the information on what the ersky9x equavelent is for the OpenTX lua scripts. Ideally I'd like to link to a resource that is specific to calibration and configuring a SxR using ersky9xr.... I know nothing about the ersky9xr.
Jan 06, 2018, 03:02 PM
Registered User
u2builder's Avatar
At some point, in the interest of completeness, I think it would be good to cover flashing with the STK. The timing of the connection to the computer can be tricky and had me stumped for a while. Still, I like using the STK for flashing and general Config setup and Calibration.
Jan 06, 2018, 04:20 PM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
At some point, in the interest of completeness, I think it would be good to cover flashing with the STK. The timing of the connection to the computer can be tricky and had me stumped for a while. Still, I like using the STK for flashing and general Config setup and Calibration.
Agree....I have to decide the direction I want to focus my energy. I started the site with Lua scripts. Then because I kept trying to look up the OpenTX manual I ended up writing my own (long story there for another time). So when it came to writing something for the SxR I decided to focus on OpenTX and Lua scripts to do with the SxR. I do have an FrSKY Accesories section on the website so when I add the STK to it I probably want to cover the S6R.... May be....
Jan 06, 2018, 05:23 PM
Registered User
Since I started this with STK - have to agree with you - if you going too wide .. (I'm already surprised where you find so much energy)

Flashing Rx is not specific to SxR - it is basic knowledge for FrSky equipment - but it is first thing new user would do - we discussed this already about Companion manual.

Speaking about configuring with STK - to my surprise - changing parameters with LUA is much faster in my case.
Only with STK and PC Config Tool - I have nice confirmation that writing is done - with LUA - I load again to check - which is still faster process.
Jan 06, 2018, 06:54 PM
Registered User
scott page's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko FC
Since I started this with STK - have to agree with you - if you going too wide .. (I'm already surprised where you find so much energy)

Flashing Rx is not specific to SxR - it is basic knowledge for FrSky equipment - but it is first thing new user would do - we discussed this already about Companion manual.

Speaking about configuring with STK - to my surprise - changing parameters with LUA is much faster in my case.
Only with STK and PC Config Tool - I have nice confirmation that writing is done - with LUA - I load again to check - which is still faster process.
In the case of the SxR - it's probably the first thing a new user SHOULD do. Many people (too many) never flash anything and have a variety of "reasons" for that.
Jan 07, 2018, 05:23 PM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
When and how do we trim the plane. Do we only trim when gyro is off or can we trim in any mode?
Jan 07, 2018, 05:58 PM
Registered User
Don't hold breath - my thoughts only.

Generally - you trim plane in as no wind/weather condition as possible - so no need for stab.

Other uses - in older days I use pot trim (not digital) on rudder of taildraggers to help me on takeoff - not now.

In big planes - trim is used when changing configuration - e.g.g. dropping ordnance from one wing or burning fuel - not much use for us (in big scale - probably they use something different. than SxR).

I have an older (dynam ? - not sure) stabilizer - and they suggest to trim only in stab off mode - but ..

If I understand correctly - in stabilization mode, SxR responds to external influences - when the pilot does not give command. For trim it is also necessary to send command - does it not ? So stab. should not react to that - right? Or am I missing something?

For "trim" in auto level - you have offsets in config.
It would be very nice if have way to "trim" offsets in flight - like Ch 9 for gain - but then would also be a different price tag - please, please correct me if I am wrong and we actually have that option.

At least that is my understanding - but I will like to learn more about that too.

b.r. Darko
Last edited by Darko FC; Jan 07, 2018 at 06:12 PM.
Jan 07, 2018, 06:07 PM
RCdiy
RcRav's Avatar
Any plane needs trimming. The question isn’t about how to trim in general. It is specific to how trim affects the SxR.
Self check determines gimbal neutral (amongst other things).
So if we trim the plane do we need to land and repeat self check for the new neutral to be set?

Auto level works when sticks return to neutral.
If we trim the plane now the sticks neutral has changed. So auto level won’t work till we land and self check again?

Every time we trim do a self check?


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need You Feedback: Sailplane Section on the Esprit Model Web Site Esprit Model Electric Sailplanes 2 Apr 23, 2012 09:05 PM
Discussion Web site feedback Andy W Castle Creations 1 Feb 10, 2008 11:17 PM
MY FIRST POST! GWS TM400 feedback. wazunit Parkflyers 3 Aug 22, 2004 11:23 PM
The Blue Frog - Post your pictures & Feedback here! Hippo Foamies (Kits) 496 Feb 06, 2004 12:40 AM
Need your feedback, for posting plane videos Patrick Plawner Electric Plane Talk 10 Jun 11, 2003 04:36 AM