Jan 04, 2018, 01:26 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Discussion

SVSS F5J Contests 2018

Welcome to the SVSS F5J Contests 2018 thread. Here you will find contest results, pictures, and/or sharing of comments from participants for all 2018 F5J events.
Name: SVSS-F5J-Logo-250px.png
Views: 11
Size: 33.5 KB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2018, 01:00 AM
Team Hello Kitty
During the "winter" (okay, in Calif that means rain) we get more time to work on our planes and think about the coming season. When it's raining outside like today I like to watch F5J contest videos. This one is from the F5J at Visalia last June. It was lots of fun but as the video shows we had a few "obstacles" to deal with. Jerry and Aric were there too. Enjoy!

F5J in Visalia California June 2017 (6 min 24 sec)
Jan 29, 2018, 12:17 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Season standings this year

This year we will be showing a season standings listing the same as TD and ALES in years past. it will be updated after every contest and posted on the website's F5J page.
Feb 04, 2018, 03:04 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Spring F5J in Sacramento - Fri Apr 20

We just posted an SVSS F5J contest announcement in the RC Groups Electric Competition section. That makes it official!
Feb 08, 2018, 11:25 PM
Team Hello Kitty
If you plan to attend this Friday event please let me know so I can add you to the pilots list here. Thanks
Feb 09, 2018, 01:16 AM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J in Visalia - March 24th - 25th

Our good friends at CVRC in Visalia are hosting their first F5J contest of the season on Mar 24-25 (RCG announcement). It would be great to have a good contingent of SVSS'ers go to this one. Jerry Molnar and I are going for sure. Anyone else?

Results posted by CVRC
It was a great contest. You can see the results with following comments and pics here.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 01, 2018 at 11:17 PM.
Apr 01, 2018, 10:48 PM
Team Hello Kitty

SVSS F5J Sunday April 8

Our first official F5J contest for SVSS in 2018 is next Sunday. Pilots meeting 9:30. $15. Please bring your own food and drinks. Our goal is to fly 6 rounds, and possibly more. This is a perfect warm-up to the Spring Fling F5J Friday on Apr 20. Newbie class -- You can use your ALES CAM limiter and set it to 150 or 200mtr. If you have an Altis but have never set it up for F5J we can do that for you at the field.

Gliderscore system in use: we will set up the LED clocks and wireless sound system the same way we do in bigger regional contests and at the Spring Fling F5J Friday. Sandy Smith will be there to help with scoring. If enough of you come we may also use the smartphone score entry feature.

F5J contest format explained

There are several major differences in F5J compared to SVSS ALES. In F5J we generate a man-on-man flight matrix for all rounds and groups at the start of the contest. There is no reshuffling of the matrix after every round. We use an automated announcement and timing system that allows us to usually fly 6 rounds. Also in F5J you can launch as high as you need to get your 10 minute time, just remember the higher you launch the more penalty points you get!

Finally, the landing tapes are 10 meters long and graduated in 1 meter intervals: 50, 45, 40, etc. So it's much easier to get high landing scores. In other words F5J is the closest you can get to a pure thermaling contest; it never turns into just a landing contest even if the air is so good that everyone gets their times. Flying F5J will make you a better pilot!

If you have questions about F5J feel free to contact any of our dedicated F5J pilots: Jerry Molnar, Lou Fox, Aric Wilmunder, Don McCullough, Brian Chan, or me.

We would like to do a club F5J contest every few months and will be maintaining yearly standings that we will post online.

Can you come? Let me know and I'll add you to the pilots list.

Thanks,
Chris B.

Pilots List
Chris Bajorek
Jerry Molnar
Jim Ludwigson
Bill Curry
Brian Chan
Lou Fox
Don McCullough
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 02, 2018 at 08:01 PM.
Apr 02, 2018, 08:18 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Spring Fling F5J Friday Apr 20

Just a reminder to click here for details, rules, etc on this Friday contest before the Sat/Sun Spring Fling. We are hoping to get at least 16 to fly in this event. If you plan to come please let me know so I can add you to the informal pilots list.

Thanks!
Chris
Apr 02, 2018, 09:17 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
No smartphone scoring this Sunday ?? Dang
Apr 02, 2018, 10:03 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Okay Jerry, put 2 more people on the pilots list and we'll do smartphone scoring. I hate to see you down
Apr 05, 2018, 12:06 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Wx Forecast for Sunday

Well, if you believe in the magic of forecasts 4 days in advance it still looks like Sunday will be a wonderful day for F5J. Had a very similar thing happen with a good result for the Visalia contest 2 weeks ago. Fingers crossed.

Friday update: Sunday wx still looks good.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 06, 2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Friday update
Apr 08, 2018, 11:45 PM
Team Hello Kitty

April F5J contest results

Thanks everyone who came out to fly F5J today. A small but enthusiastic group. Very clear, sunny, and breezes that started at 6-7 building to 10-12 by the time we had flown 6 rounds and were done. We also got a nice treat when Ron Vlastelica flew near the SVSS field around 11am and snapped some aerial pics of our field. Ron, the pics (below) look great!

Because we did not have enough pilots to fill 2 groups we "self-timed" our flights. Let me explain. In F5J everyone launches at the start of the horn and everyone tries to land just before the end horn. So if you landed early all you had to do was look over at the LED clock to see the official time; from that you could then figure your own time +- a second or two. Doing it this way meant we could fly more rounds. By the results you can see everyone was pretty darned honest--and in some cases brutally honest --entering their own times, start heights, and landings.

The top 5:
Aric Wilmunder - 4831
Bill Curry - 4730
Chris Bajorek - 4407
Kevin Wilmunder - 3989
Don McCullough - 3255

It was great to see a new F5J pilot in our group: Kevin Wilmunder who was flying Aric's "old" Xplorer electric.

F5J is quite different from TD or ALES in that a major part of your score comes from how low you launch. The lower you launch the fewer penalty points. HOWEVER if you get too aggressive and launch too low you can miss making your full 10 minute time. After 5 rounds everyone gets one throw-out. In this contest only one pilot did not have a ZERO flight due to landing more than 75 meters from the landing spot: that was Bill Curry. Bill never launched lower than 166 meters but still placed very well just behind Aric. Others tried at least once to launch too low and got stung (like me) with a flight duration less than 10 minutes. Ouch!

Scores below. Note the results printouts show Brian Chan who was not able to make it, and Jim Ludwigson who had an Altis setup issue that did not get solved until after the contest. Sorry Jim! Next time will be better.

Thanks to Sandy Smith for driving all the way down from Foresthill to help with Gliderscore scoring and field setup. Much appreciated!

The next club F5J events will be posted in the SVSS calendar soon.

Chris
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 09, 2018 at 12:55 AM.
Apr 13, 2018, 10:23 AM
Team Hello Kitty

More SVSS F5J contest dates

Bill Curry has entered these into our calendar:

Sunday May 20

Saturday July 7 (1 week before the 2-day F5J in Hollister)

Sunday August 19
Apr 26, 2018, 11:47 PM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J USA Tour standings updated with Sac scores

The 2018 F5J USA Tour standings have been updated and are available here. This posting includes the Spring F5J in Sacramento last weekend (Results).

Chris
May 13, 2018, 03:17 PM
Team Hello Kitty

SVSS F5J Sunday May 20

Our 2nd F5J contest for SVSS in 2018 is next Sunday May 20. Pilots meeting 9:30. $15. Please bring your own food and drinks. Our goal is to fly 6 rounds, and possibly more. This is a perfect warm-up to the F5J in Visalia on June 2-3. Newbie class -- You can use your ALES CAM limiter and set it to 150 or 200mtr. If you have an Altis but have never set it up for F5J we can do that for you at the field.

If at least 8 pilots respond we will set up the LED clocks and wireless sound system. Otherwise we will self time using the battery powered speaker.

Can you come? Let me know and I'll add you to the pilots list.

Thanks,
Chris B.

Pilots List
Chris Bajorek
Lou Fox
Jerry Molnar
Last edited by SoaringDude; May 14, 2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply