Aug 29, 2018, 12:06 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
I LOVED the double format! Hopefully we do this more in the future.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2018, 08:13 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

Sept ALES Results

See the ALES scores below, thanks for getting them to me Sandy! Look for more contest coverage in the next newsletter.
Oct 22, 2018, 09:38 AM

Contest Rules

I’m planning to attend my first ever Ales contest this Saturday. Are there any rules/guidelines available for these events?
I have a Radian and an Ava that I can fly, not sure what would be better for this, my first try?

Thanks,
Dale
Last edited by Sanjosedale; Oct 22, 2018 at 01:41 PM.
Oct 22, 2018, 08:01 PM
Dale,

I'm Sandy Smith, one of the ALES "Committee" members. We fly with altimeters set to 200M, and we land on a 5' tape instead of a 10' tape (5 pts for each .5M). We "usually" try to fly the Radians (and other R/E planes) as a Sportsman's class.

As to which plane to fly...I assume your AVA is a full-house plane, in which case you'd compete in the Open class. Your Radian (R/E only) would fly in the Radian or "Foamy" class. I would say, bring both, and make your decision at the site depending upon the conditions. Right now, the forecast shows winds at 5 from the North (subject to change of course).

NOTE: If you don't care about how you place, and are simply interested in trying ALES, and having FUN...Fly the plane that you enjoy the most (and to heck with the points <G>).

Sandy
Oct 24, 2018, 08:17 AM
Thank you Sandy, I’m looking forward to this.
Oct 25, 2018, 01:08 AM
I'll be there as Scorer, CD, or both...Probably arriving around 8:30am or so. Come find me (usually around the computer <G>), introduce yourself, and I can answer any questions you might have (hopefully).
Oct 31, 2018, 10:41 AM
Jon (the other newb) and I had a great time, except of course for the mid air! LOL

Good bunch of guys, looking forward to the next one. I clearly need practice!!
Oct 31, 2018, 06:22 PM
I managed to crash my Ava today, beyond repair. I’d like to replace it with something similar, RES type, Ava, Pulsar, etc.... If anyone here has or knows of something for sale, I’d like to get a replacement going.

Dale
[email protected]
408-315-1060
Oct 31, 2018, 07:01 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Hi Dale,
Sorry to hear you crashed your model. FYI hardly anyone in our club uses the forum. You will get better luck if you send an email to the Yahoo list.

Good luck!!
Chris
Oct 31, 2018, 08:07 PM
Thanks Chris

Quick Reply