Jan 04, 2018, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Not sure when I'll be able to build/fly again

Man, not sure where to start with this, but the title does say it all at this point. Of course I generally don't do a lot of flying over the winter months anyways. And I really can't express this to anyone else except those here who are also addicts of flying RC planes. As much as they try, I don't think my family quite understands the addiction.

Things have taken such a crazy and wonderful turn over the past month that I have a super full plate and then some. Basically my wife went into premature labor last month and our baby was born about 3.5 months early. Baby is doing fine and is in our hospital's NICU under some excellent care. She's just hanging there until she gets bigger and is ready to come home. This baby is our first, and her name is Sadie. And speaking of home, there is also sooooo much that needs to be done to the house to prepare for her arrival we are definitely going to have our hands tied up. Her room hasn't been cleaned up, painted, or anything. Plus, where she arrived early we haven't even had a shower yet.

So anyways, with these responsibilities and things coming up PLUS my ever caring nature of always putting other peoples needs ahead of myself, it is very unclear when I'll be building/flying again. Just have some bigger things going on obviously. Although, family still bought me some plane stuff for Christmas (foamboard since I do the Flitetest planes and some servos). I'll try and squeeze in time when I can, but I think time will be limited. If anybody out there has some ideas/suggestions for time management with these types of situations I'm all ears (well with message boards, it'd be eyes instead of ears)...but I know I have bigger priorities too besides RC planes.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2018, 11:26 AM
My second daughter was premature too. Lots of tough but good memories going through that. My prayers go out for you.

Since this is your first kid it's a little easier to manage time:

1) Love wife.
2) Love baby.
3) Keep yourself sane.
4) Repeat from step 1.

Naomi turned out fine, and is probably the most loving and gentle of all our kids. She's been Best Man for two of her brothers' weddings.

Andy
Jan 04, 2018, 12:58 PM
AMA 537620
Congrats man! It's a big change, you won't sleep for 6 months and then it gets easier. People will ask you how you handle it and you will know... you just do it. It's a hell of a lot of work but a great reward. I was only doing maintenance on my fleet for the first two years after the first came. By the second kid two years later we had it down and I was able to get back out regularly flying when she was a year old. The oldest is now four and a half years old and is starting to help me build. They both think it is cool at this point, when they see me fly... will see how long that lasts. lol
Jan 04, 2018, 02:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys! I'm expecting it's quite a change. I feel like my life has been a whirlwind since the baby was born and I don't think it's gonna stop anytime soon. Just moving along and then BAM it happens.

ChillPhatCat ...I sorta think that's what's going to happen to me. Just be doing maintenance on my fleet for a while. And honestly, I think I sometimes enjoy building and tinkering more than flying. This will give me a chance to really go through my fleet too and see if I can unload some stuff. I don't want to sell everything but there are some planes and things that I have thought about selling before the baby came along. That way it's cleaned up and I can focus on the projects I really want to focus on. So, there may be some things in the classifieds at some point.
Jan 04, 2018, 03:47 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
My second daughter was premature too. Lots of tough but good memories going through that. My prayers go out for you.

Since this is your first kid it's a little easier to manage time:

1) Love wife.
2) Love baby.
3) Keep yourself sane.
4) Repeat from step 1.

Naomi turned out fine, and is probably the most loving and gentle of all our kids. She's been Best Man for two of her brothers' weddings.

Andy
Dilly dilly
Jan 04, 2018, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfield
Dilly dilly
Now you sound like Zerts.
Jan 04, 2018, 04:57 PM
WJH
WJH
B777F Captain
My second child, and still our youngest suffered a stroke either right before birth or shortly thereafter. She has a host of medical issues, including vision impairment and severe epilepsy. It changed my life forever and put a huge stress on my marriage.
With that said, of course family comes first, but you also must take care of your needs as well. If I still find time for my hobbies and I am working half the month, you should be able to get some flying and building in. Keep in mind, you must tak care of number 1 so you may be able to take care of your family. Time will allow you to think clearly and gauge the situation better.
Jan 05, 2018, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH
My second child, and still our youngest suffered a stroke either right before birth or shortly thereafter. She has a host of medical issues, including vision impairment and severe epilepsy. It changed my life forever and put a huge stress on my marriage.
With that said, of course family comes first, but you also must take care of your needs as well. If I still find time for my hobbies and I am working half the month, you should be able to get some flying and building in. Keep in mind, you must tak care of number 1 so you may be able to take care of your family. Time will allow you to think clearly and gauge the situation better.
I would say that would put a huge stress on anyone including a marriage.

Yeah I think right now, it just seems overwhelming and unclear. But maybe once some dust settles I can see how things are gonna be.
Jan 05, 2018, 10:44 AM
I think that's a reasonable approach, let the dust settle and figure out if/when you can sneak in some hobbies. At this point just get good night's rest, nap, whatever you can, to keep yourself sharp as possible and maintain your health. I've been fortunate in my life but have helped a very healthy and capable person through tough times and health can really take a toll if neglected, and don't be afraid to ask for help (I'm still working on that one). Wish we were closer as I'd be happy to bring some planes and batteries so you can get a quick fix without all the fuss.

Most importantly, congratulations on becoming a Dad! Its the best experience, challenge, responsibility I've had and cannot imagine myself without my two kids running around the house. We may never meet but I wish you and your family a great 2018!
Jan 05, 2018, 01:21 PM
Judging by my group of friends and acquaintances, once kids are born most of the guys seem to get back to their hobbies after the divorce. Otherwise it seems to be 5 or 6 years after the last kid is born when they're old enough to go play with their friends or something for a bit and not need constant supervision.
Jan 13, 2018, 12:47 PM
AeroDan
Congrats, Man. Here’s the PRIORITY’S: #1) The Baby, #2) Wife, & #3) Sanity. When Everything’s AOK, and you have approx. 7,200 seconds of free-time available, you’ll be back up in the air. But, #1 & #2 are who you FOCUS on. Believe me, you’ll be OK. God Bless You, & Your Family.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Jan 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM.
Jan 14, 2018, 10:06 PM
Dixie Sky Devils
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! My advice is don’t worry about RC airplanes and cherish every moment you can with your family. One day they will be grown and living their own lives..... then you’ll have time to fly. Ask me how I know this.....
Jan 15, 2018, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Congrats, Man. Here’s the PRIORITY’S: #1) The Baby, #2) Wife, & #3) Sanity. When Everything’s AOK, and you have approx. 7,200 seconds of free-time available, you’ll be back up in the air. But, #1 & #2 are who you FOCUS on. Believe me, you’ll be OK. God Bless You, & Your Family.
My free time now is probably just 7.2 seconds lol. Its ok though. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! My advice is don’t worry about RC airplanes and cherish every moment you can with your family. One day they will be grown and living their own lives..... then you’ll have time to fly. Ask me how I know this.....
Thanks so much...oh she's getting my attention, and she's not even home yet.

This past week has been even crazier. Last week our furnace officially quit (which I can't complain since it has been operating for over 20 years) and that caused one of our pipes to burst. I never did say how much I hate winter did I? So been trying to track down a plumber and get our new furnace financed. Fun fun fun!

Quick Reply