Jan 11, 2018, 04:52 PM
I wonder way its not made of the tried and true z-foam.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2018, 05:00 PM
If you are buddy-boxing with her, I'd go with the Timber- it flies so slowly. Meanwhile, you cannot go wrong with the UMX Timber-. Assuming that the grass is under control, you can do touch and goes all day in a small yard with that one. If the grass is not under control, you can take off using the top of the box that it came in as a runway.
Jan 11, 2018, 05:32 PM
34 years of flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603
If you are buddy-boxing with her, I'd go with the Timber- it flies so slowly. Meanwhile, you cannot go wrong with the UMX Timber-. Assuming that the grass is under control, you can do touch and goes all day in a small yard with that one. If the grass is not under control, you can take off using the top of the box that it came in as a runway.
Yeah I will be buddy boxing with her till she gets it figured out. keep letting her work with the sim while its to cold to fly outside.
Jan 12, 2018, 08:00 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-Cub-250-ARF

The thread above was very lively and positive when it first came out...
Notice the "love" in the discussion about the CWC 250 not being foam.

Great little plane and mine still looks great after 3 years.
None of my 4 year old foamies look half as good.

sigh...
Jan 12, 2018, 12:55 PM
Modeling Retread
[QUOTE=ChinoDiablo;38971917Great little plane and mine still looks great after 3 years.
None of my 4 year old foamies look half as good.

sigh...[/QUOTE]

I have a Sport Cub that's close to three years old and, compared to my 2 year old Sig LT-25, is showing its age. However, I have done thing (and had things done to) the Sport Cub for which there would have been a pile of kindling for a balsa plane. I really push the limits of flight with the Sport Cub and I pay for it routinely. It was a good price, though, because I'm a lot better of a pilot for doing it.
Latest blog entry: Prop Reamers
Jan 16, 2018, 09:07 AM
This!

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=4420

FPV Heaven!
Jan 17, 2018, 02:34 PM
I finally watched the Horizon Thursday Thunder video from 1/04/18 and I see Chris Puckett appears to have been involved with the new Clipped Wing Cub. I know he had a lot to do with the Valiant 1.3m and that is an extremely nice flying plane so I have high expectations for this Cub. The wing attachment is a really nice set up for those who will be removing the wing often and the big nose hatch looks to be big plus. I also like that he mentioned it is very aerobatic which is exactly what I am looking for.

Hey Chris, if you happen to be monitoring this thread I have a question. Are there float struts included in the box specific to the CWC like there were included with the Valiant? I like how high the Valiant sits on the Hobby Zone floats as opposed to how low the sport cub sits on the floats. There is a picture in the video that shows the CWC on floats and it does appear to be sitting higher.

Go to 9:17 for the section on the CWC.

Thursday Thunder 1/4/2018 Broadcast (25 min 27 sec)
Jan 17, 2018, 03:07 PM
Closed Account
I have to say I miss the balsa offerings as well, but to piggyback a bit on what Dave E said earlier...the market just isn't there as much as it used to be. I work at a LHS and I can tell you that ARF's sit on the self for a while...a long while. We literately sell 75 to 100 foam planes for every one ARF we sell. (In the park flier to 40 size range) I have a Explorer now so I'm going bigger...I was limited by my Mustang. I'm building a 1/4 scale H9 Super Cub and have some more big stuff in mind. There is a plethora of bigger balsa offerings.

It is a shame that other than 3D planes...ala the Extreme Flight family of brands...there just isn't enough demand for the smaller ARF's. It's easy for us to say HH is playing it too safe when it ain't our money we are risking. Even companies like Motion RC that are taking some big risk's are not taking those risk's with balsa ARF's...they are taking their risk's with EPO. And they...as well as HH's Carbon Z line...are taking foam bigger and better. One thing I have to remind myself of is that the usual suspects like Cubs, Mustangs, T-28's, etc. all have one major thing in common...they sell. Well. Almost every time. It's the profits from planes like this that make taking risks on other things possible.

As far as this little Clipped Wing Cub is concerned I'm in...they had me at "Cub". Should be a nice little flier that we can sling around and get aggressive with when we want. I like the simplicity too. Should be really easy to maintain and may give a decent flight time with a 3200. I used to hover my Fun Cub and my slightly souped up Sport Cub...this may do it out of the box.
Jan 17, 2018, 03:16 PM
Closed Account
One other tidbit of info...Seth Arnold told me this a few years ago at SEFF. He said this was the way things were going to go due to costs. It costs as much to have a parkflyer size ARF manufactured as it does to have a 60 size ARF manufactured. The problem with that is price point. Lots of profit in a $289 to $329 60 size ARF, and almost giving a parkflyer ARF away at $149 to $169.
Jan 17, 2018, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang
........... I used to hover my Fun Cub and my slightly souped up Sport Cub...this may do it out of the box.
That's what I'm hoping for.
Jan 17, 2018, 07:15 PM
Quote:
. . . It costs as much to have a parkflyer size ARF manufactured as it does to have a 60 size ARF manufactured. The problem with that is price point. Lots of profit in a $289 to $329 60 size ARF, and almost giving a parkflyer ARF away at $149 to $169.
Bingo!!!
More balsa and plywood and Mylar covering on the bigger planes, but at wholesale OEM cost, difference between a 1300mm and 1500 plane is not substantial.

As well , labor, laser cutting time and overhead should be very close.
Last edited by easyrider604; Jan 17, 2018 at 07:22 PM.
Jan 17, 2018, 08:30 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Quote:
I used to hover my Fun Cub and my slightly souped up Sport Cub...this may do it out of the box.
No, say it ain't so! Not you, Adam!
And Knife Edge was no problem, right?
Jan 17, 2018, 08:55 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
No, say it ain't so! Not you, Adam!
And Knife Edge was no problem, right?
Lol! Yep...knife edge was a breeze...

You know its funny...I fly balsa Cubs like my little J-3 450 really scale...I intend to fly the 1/4 scale that way too, but for some odd reason when I get my hands at the sticks of a foamy Cub...especially an overpowered one...I just can't behave myself! I can make it through about 2 minutes flying a foamy Cub scale and then I go 3DHS on it...

Not sure why I do that...
Jan 18, 2018, 08:34 AM
Curious about flight times.
Jan 18, 2018, 05:31 PM
34 years of flight.
Quote:
Lol! Yep...knife edge was a breeze...

You know its funny...I fly balsa Cubs like my little J-3 450 really scale...I intend to fly the 1/4 scale that way too, but for some odd reason when I get my hands at the sticks of a foamy Cub...especially an overpowered one...I just can't behave myself! I can make it through about 2 minutes flying a foamy Cub scale and then I go 3DHS on it...

Not sure why I do that...
Cause even tho its hard to make scale flying look really scale, its really boring.. LOL
I see your in Sharpsbrug GA where do you fly?

Quick Reply