E-flite Clipped Wing Cub 1.2m - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

E-flite Clipped Wing Cub 1.2m

Check out this new Cub from E-flite! It's an aerobatic clipped wing that has plenty of power from a 10-sized brushless on 3s.

E-flite Clipped Wing Cub 1.2m

The Original Low-Cost Aerobatic Alternative!

Coming in with a wingspan just over 47", the new E-flite Clipped Wing Cub 1.2m is a great little aerobatic park flyer that should take the mundane out of flying the pattern. E-flite outfitted the Clipped Wing Cub with a sporty 10-sized brushless outrunner and a 40a esc; it's designed to be powered from a 3s 2200mAh to 3000mAh LiPo. The wing struts attach quickly and fold away for storage and transportation, while the optional floats make it a great candidate for fair weather touch and go's off the lake or pond.

The E-flite Clipped Wing Cub 1.2m is available as either a BNF Basic with a Spektrum AR636A receiver sporting SAFE and AS3X, or a PNP version requiring a receiver. The BNF version sells for $199.99 and should be available in early February.

CLICK HERE to read more about the new E-flite Clipped Wing Cub 1.2m.

E-flite Clipped Wing Cub 1.2m BNF Basic and PNP (3 min 6 sec)

Specs:

• Airfoil Shape: Semi Symmtrical
  • Approximate Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
  • Flaps: No
  • Flying Weight: 48 ounces (1360 grams)
  • Length: 38.7" (985mm)
  • Material: EPO Foam
  • Minimum Required Radio: 4+ Channel
  • Motor Size: 10 Brushless Outrunner
  • Propeller Size: 12X8
  • Recommended Motor Battery: 3 cell 2200-3000 Lipo (sold separately)
  • Servos: 9 gram Micro
  • Wing Area: 405 sq In (26.2 sq dm)
  • Wingspan: 49.25" (1250mm)

Jan 04, 2018, 10:17 AM
DFS#000178
It should've been balsa. This was perfect for a reintroduction to balsa ARFs for EFlite and the mark was missed. Now it's just another foam Cub from EFlite.

EFlite discontinued their wonderful 450 Cub and never replaced it. This would've been a perfect replacement for that. But instead, just another foam Cub in a market absolutely saturated with foam Cubs...
Jan 04, 2018, 12:03 PM
I agree with you Rampage. I still have a Cub 450 which I fly regularly and I have one NIB just in case.
Jan 04, 2018, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
It should've been balsa. This was perfect for a reintroduction to balsa ARFs for EFlite and the mark was missed. Now it's just another foam Cub from EFlite.

EFlite discontinued their wonderful 450 Cub and never replaced it. This would've been a perfect replacement for that. But instead, just another foam Cub in a market absolutely saturated with foam Cubs...
I can't remember the last balsa arf that was introduced in the Eflite line up which leads me to believe that eventually Eflite could be all foam. I would also believe that Eflite would have a hard time keeping the price point in that $200 range on a pnp or bnf arf of this size.

This cub looks rather interesting to me for a couple reasons. One is the power system being a "10" sized motor as opposed to the "480" sized motor in their previous offerings. Second I like the fact that it is a clipped wing version with a semi symmetrical airfoil which would indicate something possibly more aerobatic than a normal cub. This is demonstrated nicely in the promotional video.

I also am a huge fan of float flying have been flying r/c off water since 1973. Even though I've had dozens of balsa float flyers the foam arf's seem to be more water resistant. True that a foam airplane looks a little less pretty that a balsa arf they pass the 10' rule for me so I'm fine with the foam.

So while not for everyone I'm sure they've done their market research and will sell bunches of them.
Jan 04, 2018, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

It appears we lived through the glory days of electric RC planes. Term's like Park xx0 motors and Balsa ARF are quickly becoming a thing of the past. I remember so many ARF's available in both balsa and small foamy 3D kits. This caused a shift with my purchasing habits. I am now going larger with gas and only having a couple planes.
Jan 04, 2018, 08:49 PM
Lower AL
It looks like a fun plane, if I was looking for another high wing I'd consider it for sure. The labor for building ARFs is getting expensive and now a days anything more than a few screws to "build" is to much. I just traded off my last wood ARF plane.
Jeff....
Jan 04, 2018, 10:43 PM
I had a Sport Cub that I really liked and I pretty much wore it out before buying a Valiant to replace it. As good as the Sport Cub was, it still needed a prop change, ESC upgrade, landing gear modifications, and strut modifications out of the box to reach its potential. The Valiant 1.2 is perfect right out of the box.

Now, E-Flite releases a clipped wing cub that seems to have addressed all the issues from the Sport Cub. I don't "need" a clipped wing cub as I'm sure it won't be better than the Valiant I already have, but I may get one anyway. I like the idea of a bright yellow plane for those cloudy days when a blue and white Valiant might be hard to see.

Mickydee
Last edited by mickydee; Jan 05, 2018 at 10:37 PM.
Jan 05, 2018, 09:09 AM
Liking the top battery access and the size is nice for transporting with wings on. I'd probably opt for larger tires and a blue and white paint scheme just to make it stand out. There are a lot of cubs out there but this seems like one more nice option!
Jan 05, 2018, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
Another new plane coming out? This one looks like a winner too. I hope that we get some good flying weather soon.
Jan 05, 2018, 10:52 AM
I too have the Valiant 1.3 that I fly exclusively on floats but this one is calling my name. I like the slightly larger motor size and the fact that the ailerons are almost full span. I'm not big on using flaps and Eflite doesn't provide the option to program flaps to also be ailerons on the Valiant. I'll be getting one to float fly with and will probably paint the floats to match the cub yellow and even include the stripe.

The top battery access hatch is definitely a plus.
Jan 05, 2018, 11:18 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
I'll be getting one to float fly with and will probably paint the floats to match the cub yellow and even include the stripe.
That will look nice!
Jan 05, 2018, 12:26 PM
I was hoping they would have had a little float flying in the video but when I saw how bundled up the pilot was when he hand launched it I figured all the local ponds are probably only good for ice fishing and ice skating.

Never the less I think this one will be fun.
Jan 05, 2018, 12:38 PM
Great livery! Although plain yellow on bottom of wing would have been better for orientation.

Easy removeable struts is smart, and fake gear dampening spring system and engine cylinderheads look great too!

Best part is that they looked at the competition and finally took the bold step of losing the silly battery hatch on the bottom. (Which seemed a mandatory Horizon design requirement up till now...;-) )

Only thing missing are flaps, as they are great fun for STOL operations. (No you dont need them on this light wingloaded plane, but its just nicer to have than to be without!)
Jan 05, 2018, 10:37 PM
28 yrs. Of Aircraft flying
I am really liking the looks of this one, I love Cubs. I think this one be in my fleet when its available
Jan 05, 2018, 10:42 PM
Another bautiful plane , but what is going on with silver painted windows? As I mentioned in another post, I wish Horizon Hobby would spend a little bit more time with bringing some ARF's back to production. The market is just getting flooded with all the foam airplanes which are great for beginners but still not the same quality, durability, looks or flight characteristics of a balsa ARF. Paint tends to fleck easy, white always turns yellow and nicks very easily from hanger rash. The economy is doing better and I've noticed a lot of people wanting the smaller park flyer ARF's and all the E-flite ARF's keep disappearing. I'm so thankful that I bought the Extra 260 480 before they discontinued it recently. Might buy a couple more Slick 480 planes before they decide to pull the plug on that one. Wish that I would've came back into the hobby about 10 years sooner so I would've had the opportunity to get a ton of the discontinued models Horizon and E-flite had to offer. Some of us don't mind spending the extra money on a good plane, no one seems to be offering any good ARF's anymore. Horizon and Eflite could you grab the market by the reigns and take over in the small park flyer ARF's
Latest blog entry: New look to a old plane

Quick Reply