Thread Tools
Jan 07, 2018, 04:45 PM
Registered User
I pre ordered one yesterday and while I understand the gripes over the rudders I'm still super excited. I have two stryker C's and a mothballed Q. Though they haven't got rudders the c variant is my absolute favorite because of the ease of launching and huge speed envelope. I really hope that this new variant brings back some of those characteristics and maybe losing two servos will help to that end.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2018, 10:39 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
One on the way!
Jan 11, 2018, 12:40 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
OMG the F27Q is in my top 5 my all time favourite pla-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ
What happened to the rudders?

What made the Stryker Q so much fun to fly were the inverted pancake flat spins! There are already gazilion FPV flying wings. But no delta wings with rudders!
NO RUDDERS!?!??!?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
haha. Myself and others already said this.. they said it was made for speed.. I don't get why speed doesn't require Fun also with a rudder.
I know right. It's not like the F27Q was a slow plane.

I wonder if any of the old F27Q vert stab pieces are a slot-in replacement. That's one possible option to add rudders.

The other issue I have is I don't know how it would affect the flight characteristics of a plane that wasn't designed with rudders in mind.

SO CLOSE E-flite... SO CLOSE yet SO FAR
Jan 11, 2018, 11:16 AM
Registered User
Fentonflyers's Avatar
Why is it no longer called a Stryker?
Jan 11, 2018, 11:25 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Why is it no longer called a Stryker?
A guy at my LHS told me that the name patent "Stryker" expired and was taken by another company. Not sure if that is really the case but yea...
Jan 11, 2018, 11:33 AM
Registered User
Fentonflyers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
A guy at my LHS told me that the name patent "Stryker" expired and was taken by another company. Not sure if that is really the case but yea...
Hmm. Weird...
Jan 11, 2018, 11:44 AM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Hmm. Weird...
I do find it amusing that the new model is called an "Evolution" when the previous model (Stryker Q) had dual rudders. Seems more like a "de-Evolution" to me, but I guess time has shown that things can evolve by adding or removing something.

According to the Blade folks, they removed the dual rudders on the smaller UMX F-27 to avoid some adverse tendency of the wing when flying FPV. I for one could care less about the FPV feature of the model, but hey to each their own. I honestly think that the dual rudders of the Stryker Q are what set it apart from the countless flying wings that are out there. I regularly fly the RocHobby Swift, and I'm guessing that this new F-27 Evolution will fly very similar.

With that said, I'm still looking forward to the new model.
Jan 11, 2018, 12:17 PM
Same Day Delivery
mike3976's Avatar
It's Foam!!! Cut n two servos aka the Q and you got RUDDERS!!!

AMAZING!

Horizon did it this way not to deprive you of RUDDERS, But to maximize PROFIT, to add the two servos would have pushed it past the $200 mark, and the bean counters said no one will buy a foam wing for $200 !!,
Last edited by mike3976; Jan 11, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Jan 11, 2018, 03:39 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
It's Foam!!! Cut n two servos aka the Q and you got RUDDERS!!!

AMAZING!

Horizon did it this way not to deprive you of RUDDERS, But to maximize PROFIT, to add the two servos would have pushed it past the $200 mark, and the bean counters said no one will buy a foam wing for $200 !!,
Mike - 100 percent agreed. I've owned every Stryker HH produced. Personally the last version (with rudders) was not my favorite. Too heavy and sluggish. The brushless version I flew the wings off. Great plane and sorely missed.... until the Flyzone Hadron came out. Single vertical fin with rudder and thrust vectoring. The flat spins (pinwheel) is so cool, especially when your yelling "I've lost it" My stock hadron is super fast on a 4S 2600. I added an eagle tree and it just locks it whatever attitude you desire. Unfortunately Hadrons are no longer made.

Bottom-line.... I'm super excited about this latest Stryker
Jan 11, 2018, 04:03 PM
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwing
Mike - 100 percent agreed. I've owned every Stryker HH produced. Personally the last version (with rudders) was not my favorite. Too heavy and sluggish. The brushless version I flew the wings off. Great plane and sorely missed.... until the Flyzone Hadron came out. Single vertical fin with rudder and thrust vectoring. The flat spins (pinwheel) is so cool, especially when your yelling "I've lost it" My stock hadron is super fast on a 4S 2600. I added an eagle tree and it just locks it whatever attitude you desire. Unfortunately Hadrons are no longer made.

Bottom-line.... I'm super excited about this latest Stryker
I was eyeing the Hadron for a long time... If I can find a BNIB Hadron, would you highly recommend grabbing it?
Jan 11, 2018, 04:12 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Rups63's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
I was eyeing the Hadron for a long time... If I can find a BNIB Hadron, would you highly recommend grabbing it?
I have one. It's a nice flyer - it can scream on 4s, and glide forever and slow right down when you kill the throttle. It feels like a bigger heavier model, and I had a hard time learning to launch it when I started running 4s (it was easy to launch on 3s). I almost always have the thrust vectoring and the rudder turned off via a switch when flying normally. I can engage the rudder only, or the rudder and thrust vectoring both. I only engage them to do the frisbee of death maneuver, which seems to be its only good 'trick'. Flying with the rudder and/or thrust vectoring on for normal use was unappealing to me (thusly, I'm okay with the new Stryker NOT having rudders).
Jan 15, 2018, 08:05 PM
Registered User

Stryker...Yes!!!


Yeah, count me as FanBoy #1 w/ Strykers! I've had about 6, and learned inverted flight years ago on the "C"

So man, was I stoked to see this model make a comeback...already got my preorder in, and I'm going 4S all the way! Does anybody know whether we'll have to prop down on 4S and if so, to what prop?

I'm hoping whoever gets theirs first, can put up a full review

cheers!!

Jeff in GA
Jan 15, 2018, 09:16 PM
Registered User
I don't think any changes were necessary for 4s.
Jan 16, 2018, 04:20 PM
The RC Repairman
amitysanimal's Avatar
I just ordered mine from my lhs. It is suppose to be in stock (at Horizon) the 18th!!
Jan 18, 2018, 05:14 PM
Registered User
My LHS expects them the 25th.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-Flite F-27 Evolution JamesonC Flying Wings 75 Oct 12, 2018 08:10 AM
Discussion LOOKING FOR E-flite F-4 32DF Rallyden Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 1 Apr 15, 2016 08:35 PM
Question E-flite UMX f-16 or UMX habu bnf ignaciolch Micro Ready-to-Fly 7 Sep 24, 2015 07:49 PM
New Product Flite Evolution F-30A and F-20A Simonk esc fliteevolution Multirotor Drone Electronics 0 Apr 17, 2013 04:21 PM