Aug 21, 2019, 11:35 PM
Hundreds of throws on my various wings, and no issues. As I said, you’d have to really screw it up to hurt yourself. And as with a real plane, you don’t want crash, so I tend to be pretty careful about and concentrated on it. The F-27 is as easy to launch as it gets...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 08:26 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
It only will take once to change your mind. Your fingers, your call.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:00 AM
I don't see fingers as being an issue at all. You do a quick chuck flick-of-the-wrist, dropping your hand. At most maybe the back of your hand could be hit. But again, you'd have to really bungle it - as in have glue on your finger or whatever.

The biggest close call I ever had was with an FMS 800mm P-47, which took off in my hands and nipped my shoulder.

Any spinning prop is potentially dangerous(same with lipos, etc..) But the F-27 is as safe as it gets IMHO. You'd have to be pretty uncoordinated to bungle a launch with it. It is literally the easiest plane to launch I've ever flown.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:44 PM
Wish I still had a pic of the top of my hand on my first hand launch .. lol I Found out I didnít give it enough throttle , it been easy ever sense .. but I had to learn the hard way on my first launch .. funny thing I kept flying it with blood running down my hand , I loved flying it so much ,
Aug 23, 2019, 06:28 AM
Why can’t I quote you herrsavage? Anyways, yea I’m sure it’s perfectly fine... until it isn’t. All props are dangerous as well as a million other situations which is why I tend to avoid the things I can, it’s the same when someone says “oh everything causes cancer so I’m just gonna eat/smoke/drink/not wear ppe etc” I’m like yea exactly which is why I avoid the things known to cause cancer the most. Anyways I’m not trying to be abrasive here as I said it’s not that big of a deal you’re prob fine launching powered just personally I’m not taking the risk, I’ve cut my hand pretty bad while bench testing props and the same applies, you would think you gotta screw up pretty bad to do that but all it takes is one unintentional move and you got a nasty cut bruise combo that doesn’t feel too great.
Aug 23, 2019, 09:58 AM
I would think the risk of crashing the plane would be higher if I had to adopt some other awkward launching technique. Sure, better crash the plane than cut your hand. But if you're crashing planes then there's not point being in the hobby. It would piss me off to no end to try some dumb boomerang launch and have the wing come off for ex. I find those side launches incredibly awkward(as well as any kind of underhand for conventional planes...) Right overhand javelin for everything for me. Again, no issues launching powered. Just use common sense..(and basic coordination)

I also don't go like %80 throttle - more like %30 or so... More probably for my other wings though...
Aug 23, 2019, 10:07 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
What makes you think we're crashing our planes? I get the impression you think the only acceptable way to do things is your way.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:52 PM
Yea might be awkward to you but it’s really my preferred way to launch since I have the most experience with flying wings over any other type of aircraft. I’ll admit this plane was slightly awkward at first throwing it because I was a little scared of the wing coming loose and I usually like to get a good swing and chuck it but it’s not necessary and a gentle toss is all you need. There’s multiple ways to wing launch too, you can do a discus like throw or grip it with your finger and thumb. I don’t think I’ve ever crashed because of a wing launch either, or if I did it didn’t actually do any damage since that’s one of the major advantages of pusher planes.

If you’re coordinated enough to launch a pusher javelin style you’ll be fine with wing launching =)
Aug 23, 2019, 02:38 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
What makes you think we're crashing our planes? I get the impression you think the only acceptable way to do things is your way.
This is his modus operandi. To substantiate this, infractions have made it so you can’t quote his posts.
Aug 23, 2019, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I did say “I”, “for me”, etc. You’re reading into it too much. And wrong. I’m not telling anybody how to do anything. I am however pushing back against the notion that launching normally, via the purpose built-in grips, on power, is inherently dangerous. It isn’t. If you’re reasonably coordinated that is.

As I said before, this is the easiest plane to launch I’ve ever had. I simply differ if the message trying to be sent by some of you is that you can’t launch it that way - and safely.

(If that gets me a point, well go ahead, pile them on. It is my “modus operandi” after all... Having and sticking to my opinions that is... That’s considered “trolling” on RCG apparently nowadays...)
Last edited by Herrsavage; Aug 24, 2019 at 12:12 AM.
Aug 24, 2019, 11:19 AM
ďIt isnít. If youíre reasonably coordinated that is. ď

Well at least I know why I had trouble first time hand launch.. I must not be reasonably coordinated !
Aug 24, 2019, 12:14 PM
Stop calling it the “normal way”... I showed you the manual that explains the normal way, which is unpowered... that’s why people are giving you crap because you keep insisting you’re doing it the “right” or “normal” way when nobody launches pushers overhand, it’s long been the normal way to launch pushers like this with the wing, the only thing that makes this plane different is the removable wings.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:25 PM
It is the normal way - right overhand javelin style. It's the "normal way" because the grips are designed into it for precisely that purpose. On or off power is secondary. My only point is that on power is not a big deal - at all. If you guys are throwing the plane into your fingers, you're doing something wrong*. And IMO it's also wrong to suggest that it can't be done that way safely.

* That is neither a personal attack, nor trolling, nor anything else other than a mere observation. Having launched various wings this way hundreds and hundreds of times.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:30 PM
You’re right it’s not that big of a deal except for the fact you’re insisting it’s fine... which it isn’t, it’s a major risk of cutting yourself, it’s also not a big deal to use dull knives, or take the blade guard off your circular saw etc but it’s not the “normal” way and it doesn’t take an uncoordinated fool to cut yourself doing it.. it just takes some unforeseen variable or mistake.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:33 PM
The same applies to any plane, wherever the prop is, or quads, or whatever. I don't consider launching the way I do to be in an especially dangerous category. If it were I wouldn't do it - but extensive experience tells me it's not. And that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. You're not going to yell at me into thinking otherwise. And I'll continue to stand by my opinion, because IMO you are spreading unnecessary fear about something which is actually totally simple. It remains my opinion that, in my experience anyway, as somebody who has only ever flown hand launchers, this is the easiest one I've had. And safe. On power.

Quick Reply