Aug 13, 2019, 04:14 PM
All I’m trying to do is follow the instructions, it says to verify As3x separate from safe and if you don’t see the surfaces moving the manual says not to fly it. I saw the other posters mention the gains are low but I’m talking no movement. It’s not that I want to see it it’s just that I want it to be working correctly before I crash is all. So what you’re all saying is that no movement on the ground no matter how much shaking and twitching you do to the plane is normal? Everyone’s does this same thing with no As3x noticeable on the ground?

What also has me confused is why hobbyzone would agree to send that other guy a new receiver when his symptoms are considered normal.

Also not sure what sps is, is that the Bluetooth module? I did order one but it won’t be here for a few days.
Last edited by Siezed; Aug 13, 2019 at 04:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 05:16 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
SPS is the Spektrum software for programming AR636 receivers for AS3X. Since they didn't branch into SAFE, flightengr developed companion software Safe Model Builder (SMB) which enables users to change SAFE parameters. You use both to make extensive changes to the receiver. Your bluetooth is for the mobile device app. Similar but not the same. For full SPS and SMB use you need a cable and a PC. Mobile version can do SPS but not SMB. If all you want to do is change gains, you'll be fine. If you want to change SAFE angle limits, the built in mixes etc, you'll need to go the PC route.
Aug 13, 2019, 05:51 PM
Ahh I see thanks, hobbyzone horizon hobby (I always mix them up) tech just called me and said if the servos are twitching itís working, guess Iíll just wait till the Bluetooth module comes in and verify it once and for all.
Last edited by Siezed; Aug 13, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
Aug 14, 2019, 03:56 PM
@hard line Well I just did the maiden, man this thing is fast on 3s, it’s a rocket ship on 4s, it’s really like flying a jet. Anyways I can see why people would want to adjust safe parameters now, safe was really nice to have on takeoffs, landings and most importantly when I lost orientation. It was so nice to be able to just flip safe on and watch it level out after an unintentional roll or dive, but it was a bit restrictive, I’d like to have it allow straight up and 90 degree banking. For now though I’m pleasantly surprised at just how useful safe was, and honestly having safe kinda negates As3x anyways since if you’re in trouble or get a lot of wind you always have safe to flip on and it’s better than As3x for those instances. Kinda curious what else safe can do with some programming.
Aug 14, 2019, 05:15 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Well, you can program SAFE to allow 85 degree banking and 70 degree climbs. If you set it to go totally straight vertical it gets confused which way is down. I would too. 70 degrees looks pretty vertical to the eye.

And I set up a switched trim for a launch mode and tweak my normal trim so I can blast full throttle just inches above the desert brush. Occasionally nip a branch, but no disasters yet.

I would get bored with this plane just doing repeat fast laps in the sky. SAFE lets me step pretty close to the edge. You think it looks fast up there now. See how fast it looks ripping past you just above the terrain. I know expert pilots could do that without SAFE, but I'm not one of those.
Aug 15, 2019, 05:39 PM
I just ordered one of these f-27's any gotch ya with it? Skids might not be too good for dirt?
Aug 15, 2019, 06:20 PM
Mountain Surfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siezed
That looks great NorCal, very clean and does match the stock lines, nicely done man
Thanks man can't wait to take it up with a new setup and post a video hopefully this weekend.

Quote:
Hey does anyone wing launch their f27? I just got mine in the mail and they want you to launch with the little grip and no throttle then throttle up after you throw? That’s asking for a crash, I’ve always launched my flying wings with about half throttle and a gentle toss with the wing, the wings seem locked in fairly well I don’t think it’s gonna pull em out is it?

I launch mine from the wing the propeller scares me even though you're supposed to launch it with motor not spinning. Before inav autolaunch I would just turn on safe mode and just give it a gentle toss by the wing 3/4 throttle it would climb right out of my hand.

As long as you don't jerk it hard when you throw it from the wing it'll stay intact perfectly fine, I usually put it 3/4 throttle stand with my back to the wind then rotate my whole body so it's smooth and release it once I feel lift under the wings.
Aug 15, 2019, 08:10 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcolon01
I just ordered one of these f-27's any gotch ya with it? Skids might not be too good for dirt?
I land on dirt always. I did have trouble with the plastic skid covers coming loose so I taped over them. Been fine ever since.
Aug 15, 2019, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I land on dirt always. I did have trouble with the plastic skid covers coming loose so I taped over them. Been fine ever since.
Yup, my skids are covered with packing tape along with the bottom of the nose ..
Aug 16, 2019, 11:30 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I wore thru packing tape. Now use orange duct tape. Little heavier but this plane doesn't care.
Aug 17, 2019, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcolon01
Ya I tore mine up accidentally overshooting the grass and going onto a dirt road the first time I took it to the field. They definitely aren’t very strong at all, it’s like the same plastic as those square disposable seedling pots, very thin and brittle.

As far as gotcha’s I really gotta say no, it flies as good as any flying wing could, if I wanted to nitpick I could say I wish it wasn’t white, easy to lose orientation, and the As3x is as good as non existent with how low it’s set up, but apparently you can program that with their $18 Bluetooth module. I also don’t really like the whole nose design, having that thin plate which is part of the fuselage holding the nose isn’t good, I already broke one slot (it was that same landing I broke the skids on) because I think the nose hit the ground at an angle which broke the little plate on the fuselage side. I wish they made a design that would break on the replaceable nose cone instead of the permanent piece on the fuselage. It’s only frustrating to me cause I dropped an extra $50 on the fpv nose, if I hadn’t I’d just glue the regular one on.

All that aside it was a blast to fly though, amazing how fast it moves through the sky when you send it up and go from one end of the field to the other on 4s. Safe is awesome, the throws are adequate, but not so oversized that full throws send the thing into a death dive, it slows down nice and has very slow and predictable stall characteristics, and at the same time is extremely controllable while going fast. Definitely happy with the purchase, and even if I do trash the thing I still have a very nice electronic setup with the safe receiver, good esc and motor and metal servos, those will make anything this size a fun plane.
Last edited by Siezed; Aug 17, 2019 at 08:56 AM.
Aug 18, 2019, 02:08 PM
Just thought I’d share how I remedied the skids on my f27, the factory plastic broke very easily so I just hot glued on some barbecue skewers, ca might be better to get a cleaner look but I like the reusability of hot glue. Anyone done anything similar?
Last edited by Siezed; Aug 18, 2019 at 02:21 PM.
Aug 18, 2019, 02:24 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Quote:
Just thought Iíd share how I remedied the skids on my f27, the factory plastic broke very easily so I just hot glued on some barbecue skewers, ca might be better to get a cleaner look but I like the reusability of hot glue. Anyone done anything similar?
That's really cool. It's nice that the skewers are easily replaceable
Aug 18, 2019, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
That's really cool. It's nice that the skewers are easily replaceable
Thanks =) yea thatís what I was thinking, a little butane lighter and I can soften it enough to pop em off then lay another little bead down and replace em. Same thing if the glue lets go but I cut a slit in the foam for the skewer to kinda rest in, I think itís gonna be quite durable being bamboo and all.
Aug 18, 2019, 04:03 PM
Isopropyl alcohol releases hot glue. On your other thread - I'd encourage you to go easy upping the AS3X settings on this airframe, and setup a mode with them left off or stock. Too high and it will oscillate apart almost instantly.

Quote:
Thanks =) yea thatís what I was thinking, a little butane lighter and I can soften it enough to pop em off then lay another little bead down and replace em. Same thing if the glue lets go but I cut a slit in the foam for the skewer to kinda rest in, I think itís gonna be quite durable being bamboo and all.
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!

Quick Reply