Aug 07, 2019, 02:22 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Bob, if you really want to mess with that stuff -- even though your radio is not very flexible, there are several things you can do in the receiver via computer programming.

If you want to enter that world, see here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-another-plane

Don't try to read it all. The early part of the thread is now obsolete. But skim through to get the general idea, and then ask your questions over there.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 04:59 AM
Jeeze, with all the things that can go wrong with “SAFE” skimming that thread, it doesn’t seem too safe...
Aug 08, 2019, 09:11 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
SAFE problems are nearly 100% people problems. It's a complex bugger and Horizon offers no tech support for "unofficial" applications. So it's all self-help and trial and error. Which accounts for the issues you noted.

Once you make it to the top of the pyramid, it's one great device which can do many things beyond Horizon's intentions.
Aug 09, 2019, 07:54 AM

Part Request

After my wings separated, I recovered all parts of the plane in good shape, only to notice later on that the little plastic elevon tip protector was missing (left side). I don't like to benefit from the misfortunes of others but I have a request:

Would anyone have the left (not sure, but both left and right are probably identlcal) tip piece left over from a "retired" F-27? If so, perhaps they could consider sticking it into an envelope and mail to me? Somehow, we could arrange payment.
Last edited by Deerslayer; Aug 09, 2019 at 08:49 AM.
Aug 09, 2019, 11:01 PM
Mountain Surfer
Has anybody installed inav with Crossfire or any long-range system on the f27? Also has anybody modified the stock nose cone to fit a camera and a vtx?

In my case I'm running Crossfire with inav a TBS unify Pro along with a foxeer mix camera which is basically a HD camera and fpv Camera all in one.

The battery I'm using is a zippy compact 4S 3700 mAh 30c if it's perfect and gives me great flight time.

Anyway just curious if anybody else has gone that far or did anything similar I would like to read about it or point me in the right direction.

I think it'd make an awesome Mountain Surfer, I love my mini drak but it's harder to Lug around hiking the f27 breakdown really compact and no wires to plug in when installing the wings.
Aug 09, 2019, 11:10 PM
Mountain Surfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siezed
Lucky, I just got mine but it was the pnp version when I ordered the bnf! Now I’m stuck here debating on whether I should just throw my own rx in and try it out or wait for Horizon to reply to my email. They say “wait two days” which I think is a little ridiculous, especially when their phone support is only open m-f 9-5 and when you call says over an hour wait... they charge a premium for their products they should back that up with premium support.

Anyways I’m not familiar with safe or any of that but as for transportation the box is meant to be a carrying case, so as soon as you glue or tape the wings or fins you lose that very coveted feature. I’ve been thinking about it myself and have had a few ideas including gluing some mini rare earth magnets in, using drops of ca on the carbon fiber to cause more friction, or putting a small “bolt lock” on them, I’ve done this using zip ties and a dowel before, worked great but was a little ugly, be nice to find some kind of small hardware lock like a doll furniture lock or something. I don’t think I’m going to worry about it until I notice they actually are getting loose though, I’m sure out of the box they’re fine as I’ve seen many people pull some pretty crazy stunts and not have any issues with the wings or fins. Also you want them to break free for crashes too, it absorbs energy and protects the frame.
They get more calls than you would think and many more emails with only so much staff, they do have a call back service if you don't want to wait the hour they always call back, Also I wouldn't call the f27 a premium it's pretty inexpensive compared to a lot of products out there with less performance and no support at all not even a phone number to call.

Not trying to jump on your bones or anything but I've had nothing but good experience with Horizon Hobby especially with their customer service and call back. I mean two days come on that's not very long at all and not very fair to judge them on Just 2 days.

Have you tried the call back service if you want an answer right away? You have to use all the options before you can say they're not giving a premium service.

You're doing great Horizon love all the Other new products coming out. Especially the C27 Spartan, y'all killing it!!
Last edited by NorCalFpvAddict; Aug 09, 2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Idk
Aug 12, 2019, 10:04 AM
Mountain Surfer
Well if anybody's interested I made a scoop out of a fiberglass plug for the stock nose. It works out great if you want to hollow it out to put the foxeer mix or the runcam split or the caddx turtlet they run really hot and the scoop really keeps it cool and I kind of tried to make it match the design of the rest of the plane.

If anybody wants one I actually pulled one more off the plug, free you pay shipping.

Wish I would have bought this f27 evolution a lot sooner it's faster than my mini drak and a quarter of the price and a faster build installing inav as well.

Makes for a fun Mountain Surfer plus you get nice crisp HD footage without carrying any extra weight.

Here's some pics I'm in love with this thing I ordered 2 more plug and plays to deck out with inav and HD fpv for back ups might go 6s on one.

Don't get me wrong I love the mini drak but this thing is just too much fun it's on Rails. And decent flight times with a 4S 3700 mAh Zippy compact.

Anybody else setup there's for mid range high speed?

I'm running to TBS unify Pro HV

Tbs crosfire full size

Matek F411 wing

The rest of stock well except for the stock canopy that I hollowed out and made my own fpv nose piece with HD camera.

As I said earlier I pulled one extra one off of the plug but if anybody else wants one I can pull a few more. Free just pay shipping.

I will do a little tutorial on how I did the stock nose piece soon.
Aug 12, 2019, 10:47 AM
That looks great NorCal, very clean and does match the stock lines, nicely done man
Aug 12, 2019, 10:50 AM
Hey does anyone wing launch their f27? I just got mine in the mail and they want you to launch with the little grip and no throttle then throttle up after you throw? That’s asking for a crash, I’ve always launched my flying wings with about half throttle and a gentle toss with the wing, the wings seem locked in fairly well I don’t think it’s gonna pull em out is it?
Aug 12, 2019, 10:54 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siezed
Hey does anyone wing launch their f27? I just got mine in the mail and they want you to launch with the little grip and no throttle then throttle up after you throw? Thatís asking for a crash, Iíve always launched my flying wings with about half throttle and a gentle toss with the wing, the wings seem locked in fairly well I donít think itís gonna pull em out is it?
I only wing-launch any pusher plane. For the F27 I would recommend taping the wing if you side-launch. Even if it's tight enough now, it will loosen up with use. But as you say -- it doesn't take much of a throw. I put a launch mode in my radio, and now launching consists of little more than just offering it up to the sky and letting it fly away.
Aug 12, 2019, 02:35 PM
Yea I might do that @hard-line. Also what is a launch mode? Howís that work?;

Iím having a bit of trouble setting up my devo 7e with this plane, has anyone got a devo 7e running deviation software to work with AS3X? I have followed all instructions but AS3X is only working when safe is toggled it seems, anyone had this issue?

edit: Ok so I found a forum on deviation about setting channels to 8 to bind, so I deleted all my nonsense about that, if you are using deviation and the controls are lagging, make sure to set to 8ch and re-bind. The As3x is still not functioning though. Safe seems to be working fine, at least itís auto leveling the plane, but not As3x.. any ideas?
Last edited by Siezed; Aug 12, 2019 at 09:55 PM.
Aug 13, 2019, 12:18 PM
Does anyone have As3x without the programming module? It says nothing about it in the instructions but then I read the instructions for the ar636 (the standalone version, not the ar36a) and it says As3x is off by default. Do you really need to buy a Bluetooth module just to activate As3x or should it work out of the box?
Aug 13, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav
Can someone explain why this happens? This AS3X & SAFE crap is so frustrating. I did the bind for safe mode and programmed my aux 2 switch to turn it off and on. When the receiver binds to the transmitter (DX8) and I turn the aux 2 switch on, safe activates and AS3X works perfect (without advancing the throttle) However when I shut SAFE off AS3X does not work at all (even after advancing the throttle above 25%) and advancing to 100%.

I really don't give a crap about the SAFE feature, but I would like the AS3X to function...ÖÖ..

Please someone...ÖÖ HELP!!
Looks like you had the same problem as me, did you ever figure this out? I noticed you said horizon was going to send you a new rx, did that fix it or was it a setting on your tx?
Aug 13, 2019, 12:59 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
This has been reported multiple times...the AS3X gains on the F27 are very minimal, so you will not be able to detect it on the ground like other airframes. Wiggle it all you want, the surfaces wont move at all, or much. In the end, it doesn't matter...just go fly it!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Aug 13, 2019, 02:28 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
If you insist on seeing AS3X work, hook up to SPS and raise your gains way up and bench test to verify directions. Then put them back down before flight.

If you also have SAFE programmed, SAFE and AS3X share control directions, so verifying SAFE (which is easy) automatically verifies AS3X.

Quick Reply