May 18, 2019, 08:29 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperez
Hey all. Posting this to see if anyone had the same experience ever...I picked one of these up on-line with the Horizon foam-frenzy coupon sale. Purchased last Sunday, and was so excited to get it quickly by Wednesday! (I live in Northern California). Arrived in perfect condition (and so I thought). So I decided to do some pre-flight cosmetic visual mods prior to fully putting it together. Painted the underside florescent orange and some neon green up-top. Anticipating my maiden on Saturday! Friday night, all paint dried and pieced it all together. Bound it, and set safe select. Nice!
Decided to crank up the throttle and test the motor for the first time on the bench... advanced the throttle, motor spun, then I heard a loud screeching sound from the motor...then....poof! Smoke started to billow out from where the esc was In the tunnel! I quickly disconnected the battery ; the smoke and smell were horrendous!
After putting out the small smolders I proceeded to inventory the damage...the esc was a melted mess! Leads were melted off. Inside of the motor tunnel all melted. Oh...did I mention the horrible smell?
Knowing the esc was toast, I proceeded to test all other electronics with a spare esc I had. Plugged it into the rx and nothing. No lights, nothing. Separately tested both servos and nothing. Tested the motor and all it did was beep. So whatever shorted out in the esc managed to totally fried ALL the electronics! 😱

Needless to say Iíll be contacting Horizon. Unfortunately, itís the weekend now and of course they are closed. 😔Anyone ever experience this? Iím so shocked how it somehow even wiped out the servos and receiver. ...man I was so excited to get this bird in the air this weekend too. 😔
I hope itís not too much of a hassle to get a replacement from Horizon Hobbies. Ugh.
Man that is horrible. I brought home a small foamy for a guy to put a new spek rx in and new rudder servo soon i powered up the esc smoke came out that smell is terrible.. i ended up fixing him up with a castle esc. got home going.
that shouldn't have happened at all. Hate it, hope they take care of you
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 10:07 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Usually they give you the choice of returning the plane for repair or replacement...or sending you the parts to fix it yourself. If you want to return the plane you can usually talk them into sending you a shipping call tag.
May 19, 2019, 01:41 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Usually they give you the choice of returning the plane for repair or replacement...or sending you the parts to fix it yourself. If you want to return the plane you can usually talk them into sending you a shipping call tag.
It was my motor which smoked on its first full runup - the Evolution never left my hand. HH sent out a replacement motor and ESC but told me replacing the parts would then void the warranty.

I do ask for some advice on those who have unmodified Evolutions. The wiring from the ESC to the motor - how are they routed inside the fuselage? If the excess wiring is doubled up in the cavity above the ESC it seems like it would restrict airflow over the flat side of the ESC which is generally the heat sink. I'm thinking the motor leads are factory routed on the sides of the ESC but that appears a bit cumbersome.
May 20, 2019, 02:08 AM
I don't mean to stir things up, but FWIW, I personally have come to the conclusion that E-flite ESCs are garbage. My F-27 lost control at WOT last year and was demolished on its 11th flight. This year the same thing happened to a brand new V900 on the fourth flight. With the F-27 I didn't know what to think - I suspected my radio, my antenna placement, cell tower disturbance, etc.. But with the V900 I had a new radio, new receiver, etc.. So I sent it in to Horizon and they said the ESC was melted. To their credit they did send me a new one, but I immediately ripped out the ESC (and sold it - hee-haw!! Poor guy. But he was one of those who fails - IMO - to understand that the Horizon of 10 years ago and the Horizon of today are completely different things...) and replaced it with a different brand. So far so good.

I think Horizon has gone DEEPLY CHEAP when it comes to quality since restructuring over the last few years. I honestly think their electronics are about as bad as they get - like worse than some cheapo flying wing from Banggood..(I have a few, and they all fly great..)

I would definitely angle for a whole new plane.

And then rip out that ESC and get rid of it ASAP.... Just my 2c...
May 20, 2019, 02:16 AM
Quote:
I personally have come to the conclusion that E-flite ESCs are garbage.
Understatement of all time: Horrid, complete trash. I feel guilty for selling for $10. I don't use their motor, esc, or receiver (as I use Taranis - Frsky). AR636 ok though. But a great airframe.
May 20, 2019, 03:14 AM
I really did feel kind of bad for the guy. He was younger too(maybe 30), but was just of that old man mentality that the old mainstream hobby companies - which cost more - automatically have the quality to match the "market presence", and price.., or whatever... And by extension also that anything from HK etc.. must be trash.

Yes, the F-27 is a very nice airframe for sure.

I actually get on quite well with the motors so far. Mine seems to stand up to 5S even... Don't know for how long, but still...

But the ESCs? Never again...

(Forgot to mention - my V900 showed up with a faulty elevator servo... Again, this is not "Happy Flying Time RC" or whatever from some dodgy Chinese source like Gearbest, but Horizon, who probably considers itself - along with many others, falsely - to be the ultimate RC company... No, no, and no...)
May 20, 2019, 03:12 PM
I flew my F27 yesterday cause my other half had wanted me to fly it, ive been leaving it in the trailer or at home but decided to take it, normally its good for folks to say wow what is that fast thing.. Anyhow I know the Rx in it a Old old AR6100 is flacky i lost radio signal last time flying it but was way way in the clouds, well yesterday almost felt like i had a delayed aileron response. Not changed anything in my radio ix12 but sometimes seemed to roll or turn slow but other times seemed to be as fast as a roll as always. Has anyone had issues with the servos and what did you replace them with??

I did find a better rx to go in it and the antenna is longer was able to put it out onto the wing signal should be unlimited now.
Last edited by epoweredrc; May 21, 2019 at 03:50 PM.
May 22, 2019, 11:40 PM

Replacement received and ready!

I finally received my replacement Evo from Horizon after a couple weeks of waiting. So ready to maiden it this weekend. While waiting I decided to do some quick visual mods to help with orientation. Now if the weekend would just be here already!
May 22, 2019, 11:42 PM
Cool lookin’!
May 26, 2019, 01:00 AM
Remind me again what ESC's you are using to replace the eflights? Mine haven't failed yet, so must be overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I really did feel kind of bad for the guy. He was younger too(maybe 30), but was just of that old man mentality that the old mainstream hobby companies - which cost more - automatically have the quality to match the "market presence", and price.., or whatever... And by extension also that anything from HK etc.. must be trash.

Yes, the F-27 is a very nice airframe for sure.

I actually get on quite well with the motors so far. Mine seems to stand up to 5S even... Don't know for how long, but still...

But the ESCs? Never again...

(Forgot to mention - my V900 showed up with a faulty elevator servo... Again, this is not "Happy Flying Time RC" or whatever from some dodgy Chinese source like Gearbest, but Horizon, who probably considers itself - along with many others, falsely - to be the ultimate RC company... No, no, and no...)
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!
May 26, 2019, 01:34 AM
At this stage I will replace any new E-flite ESC in any new E-flite plane I buy with ANY other brand ESC.

Yours may be totally fine - especially if they have lots of flights on them. Bad ones seem to just be bad and not make very many flights - crashing on the 11th with my first F-27, and on the fourth with the first V900.

In my V900 I have the old 70a FMS from my 980mm P-40, and in the F-27 an 80a Hobbywing Skywalker...

If buying a new 80a, the Hobbywing Skywalker is - for me anyway - the cheapest at €26-30 from ebay.
May 26, 2019, 04:44 AM
Systemsguy,

I have a friend who is happy with this ESC.
Just recently Iíve started to look into it a little bit.
Seems interesting. I think you might like it.

Its capable of high Electrical RPM.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n-40-60-80-ESC

https://www.frsky-rc.com/frsky-neuron-40-60-80-esc/

G.
May 26, 2019, 11:22 PM
Thanks!! I'll take a closer look. So far on my stock f27 I've stuck with the eflite and had zero problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU
Systemsguy,

I have a friend who is happy with this ESC.
Just recently Iíve started to look into it a little bit.
Seems interesting. I think you might like it.

Its capable of high Electrical RPM.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n-40-60-80-ESC

https://www.frsky-rc.com/frsky-neuron-40-60-80-esc/

G.
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!
May 27, 2019, 05:08 AM
Built my launch ramp and it works very well with the plane all stock. So easy to build and use. It is 10 feet long using 3/4 inche pvc tube and the tubes are spaced at 13.25 inches center to center. With this tube length the tail barely drops upon lift off. I filed and sanded down the sharp edges on the top and sides of the middle Tees and the far end elbows to prevent the foam from catching at those locations. The red tape is to keep the joints on where needed until it is fine tuned and ready for gluing. Three joint locations will remain unglued so it can be disassembled easily for transportation. I will add a middle support instead of using buckets. It is needed to keep the ramp from sagging.

Materials List (including what is needed to complete the middle support)
4 - 3/4 inch PVC tubes x 10 feet long each
6 - 3/4 inch Tees
10 - 3/4 inch Elbows

Note: Tees require a different short tube length to achieve the 13.25 inch center to center main tube spacing. I dont have an Evolution to measure, so I am only assuming the Evolution can use the same spacing.

First time flying an F-27Q. This plane flies exceptionally well and is going to get a lot of airtime. Going to install four skids on the F-27C to see if it can use this ramp as well. (Edit: the F-27C also launched successfully once the skids for spacing were installed)

Launch Ramp for Stryker F-27Q and Evolution (2 min 56 sec)

The wind was at about 10-12 mph when we shot this video but am certain there will be no problem with no wind. I will experiment further with both length and ramp angle. I suspect with the 10 foot length, the main tubes could be even be positioned horizontal as I saw in other You Tube video. It might also be possible to reduce the ramp length to maybe to 8 feet, will test that.
Last edited by Creative RC; May 29, 2019 at 07:22 AM.
May 27, 2019, 10:45 PM
I put a Castle creations Phoenix 60amp in my F27 when i went with the 7x7 prop on stock prop, but mostly cause i had the esc. i like castles tho

Quick Reply