Those Cheap 2s ( Balance ? ) Chargers - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 04, 2018, 12:16 AM
Discussion

Those Cheap 2s ( Balance ? ) Chargers

1) A USB 2s charger bundled with my JJRC H28
2) I purchased the B3 to see if it would balance charge as it is all over the place ( Ebay and such )
3) Bundled with a lot of quads n toys
4) Was bundled with a 450 heli combo

So , the question begs ... Do any of these actually balance charge ... ?

I discharged a 2s battery .. And using all the above chargers found no evidence what so ever of balance charging taking place .
I have used 3 and 4 in the past and found the batteries charged to be seriously out of balance .
No 3 being the worst offender .

So does a cheap charger exist that can actually balance charge ?
My guess would be (?) who knows .. I just use a imax B6 which does balance charge .
For a few dollars more then these nasty chargers a B6 will get the job done ..

I know a lot of people harp on the B6 and with good reason !
Myself , I am on my 2nd B6 . I ran the first up to 4 AMP charging 2200 3s batteries ..
And I was charging almost every day .. That poor B6 lasted about 12 months .. ( I did abuse it )

This 2nd B6 has not been taken beyond 1A for charging and might be half a decade old now ..
Anyhow .. This was about those cheap balance chargers that dont seem to actually balance charge .

to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2018, 01:20 AM
Waste Nothing
Oldie :

Thanx for pointing this out mate . Guilty as NOT charged ! I have been using the #4 in your pictures for charging my Devo7FPV radio batt . Never would have thought that it wasn't getting a proper balance . I shall be using the B6 from this day forward . Toss the others or just keep them around as emergency ones methinks . Cheers mate .
Jan 04, 2018, 02:00 AM
The search continues :
I just wondered if one actually exists that works ( as a balance charger )

I saw something on Ebay , I might buy it to test it .. Just a naked board .. ( Soldering needed )
I thought the B3 might balance charge ( mine does not ) , but alas ...
Oh well !

Been a ho humming over the B6AC .... ( Sometimes 2 chargers are not enough )
Jan 04, 2018, 05:34 AM
Long time in the past I had an Esky charger (same look, different colors) - it was ESky Balancer Charger - EK2-0851 . It worked by sequentially charging one cell at a time - for one minute, and then skip to another cell. It had a max constant current of 0.8A. The balancing was done by making sure the cell is not loaded more than 4.2V. If a cell achieved 4.2V before others the charger was skipping that particular cell and was starting to charge another one. So a pack with capacity of 800mAh was charged in approximately in 3 hours (it took about 1 hour for 1 cell from zero to full).
Last edited by japim; Jan 04, 2018 at 05:46 AM.
Jan 04, 2018, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japim
Long time in the past I had an Esky charger (same look, different colors) - it was ESky Balancer Charger - EK2-0851 . It worked by sequentially charging one cell at a time - for one minute, and then skip to another cell. It had a max constant current of 0.8A. The balancing was done by making sure the cell is not loaded more than 4.2V. If a cell achieved 4.2V before others the charger was skipping that particular cell and was starting to charge another one. So a pack with capacity of 800mAh was charged in approximately in 3 hours (it took about 1 hour for 1 cell from zero to full).
Unfortunately these dont do that ... No's 3 and 4 will push a cell past 4.2v ...
Charger No 3 , I allowed to complete a battery ...
Ok the total voltage was 8.4v ... But one cell was 4.7v ...

I then discharged the battery till the individual cell voltage was even and allowed charger no 4 to complete ...
One cell hit 4.43 volts ... Oh it did terminate @ 8.4v .. Just no balance charging in effect ..

Charger's no 1 and 2 I have not allowed to terminate .. I simply watched as each cell got further and further out of balance till I said enough ..
Keep meaning to buy that balance board ( charger without case - or plugs etc )
Might gutt one of the cheap nasty's if the board actually balance charges ..
Jan 04, 2018, 05:19 PM
Pictured is the charger board :

I will test it and see if it actually balance charges ...
If it does and it will fit one of the charger cases , then I might do a heart transplant .

Quick Reply