What happened to the Wltoys Q696A thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 03, 2018, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Discussion

What happened to the Wltoys Q696A thread


There was a thread on the Q696A but for the life of me can no longer find it. Did this quad fall off the face of the earth or am I the only flyer and owner of this bird. I really like mine and for the life of me don't understand why there is no chatter bout it. I may be the only one who thinks this is a pretty cool deal. Flew mine on the 1st of Jan just to be able to say I flew on the 1st of the year. It was a very short flight though as it was -3 but the sun was shinning. Q696 flew fine but the pilot was freezing and my fingers were beyond numb even with gloves. Lasted bout five minutes. I made a short video and in this video it showed some DA flying a quad in -3 degree weather. Turned out to be me!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 11:58 AM
Registered User
Pixelpeter's Avatar
Search-function can be your friend

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...old-Quadcopter
Jan 03, 2018, 12:30 PM
Registered User
[QUOTE=Pixelpeter;38918366]Search-function can be your friend

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...old-Quadcopter[/QUOT

Yep that's the thread I was looking for. Thanks Pixelpeter but still don't understand the lack of interest in this bird. Maybe just me thinking its more then what it is. Oh well I'm enjoying mine just the same.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Pixelpeter's Avatar
[QUOTE=old man flying;38918566]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Search-function can be your friend

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...old-Quadcopter[/QUOT

Yep that's the thread I was looking for. Thanks Pixelpeter but still don't understand the lack of interest in this bird. Maybe just me thinking its more then what it is. Oh well I'm enjoying mine just the same.
If I remember right, there wasn't really much enthousiasm for the quad from the start. To me, it did look interesting, but already had a brushless AP option so never persuited it further.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:42 PM
Registered User
Yeah would be nice had it had brushless motors but I just accepted it for what it is but on the same token the gimbal works perfect and the video's are pretty good as well and best of all it flies great. Looks way cool at night with all the blinking lights . Sorta like a UFO and one thing is for sure its not hard to see at night. Everytime I fly at night I get a big chuckle out of it. Scares the p@$& out of the cows next door.
Jan 04, 2018, 08:58 AM
Drone Collector
Blade Runner 350's Avatar
I think it would have 'took off' a little more if it wasn't so expensive. It never seems to come on flash sale with anyone. I guess folks just didn't/dont like paying so much extra for basically a 2 axis gimbal.
Jan 11, 2018, 10:49 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man flying
Yeah would be nice had it had brushless motors but I just accepted it for what it is but on the same token the gimbal works perfect and the video's are pretty good as well and best of all it flies great. Looks way cool at night with all the blinking lights . Sorta like a UFO and one thing is for sure its not hard to see at night. Everytime I fly at night I get a big chuckle out of it. Scares the p@$& out of the cows next door.
Hello Old man flying!
Just finished reading the thread about the Q696 wich kinda stopped last november.
Please allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Joris and I live in the Netherlands and I am an absulute beginner in the sky.
Actually, I'm not even that since I have yet to experience my first take off although I got my Q696 (E- model) about 6 weeks ago..

My girlfriend bought me this dragonfly in Dubai last year but unfortunately the box didn't contain the charger and chargerbox (problably due to the difference in power current and types of balancerplugs in different parts of the world)
So I contacted WLtoys who then put me trough to WLtoys.eu Support Team - http://support.droneland.nl/helpdesk, who couldn't help me to buy the named items. ( they do sell blades and batteries, etc.)
So my quest brought me to China to www.linparts.com and these people do really have all the spare parts(!)
I took the change and ordered for the neccesary components ( and some extra's) and the waiting game began...

Today, Old man flying, is a good day!
After exact one month I received the order in good condition and I have just finished charging the batteries!
I Still wont be flying today since a) the weather is poor (damp and foggy), and b) I don't have a clue what I'll be doing...

So I'll be off to the 'beginners section' on this forum to see if I can get some Do's and Don'ts during maiden fliights.
However I'd like to thank you for the information you've been giving in the prior thread, and hope you will share more of your experiences you have had with your Q696 A
Kind regards Joris
Jan 11, 2018, 07:15 PM
Registered User
Joris, Wow this is a pretty big quad for your first experience flying. Not saying it can't be done but believe if I were you I'd start a little smaller and a lot less $$$. I started my quad flying with a JJRC 31 after several years in the heli world and many many years in the fixed wing ranks. Still got the JJRC 31 and have flown the crap out of it and it just comes back for more. Beat it crash it step on it it fly it into the house, tree's it doesen't matter it won't break. Knocked the landing gear off a time or two but it just pops back on. Picked up a small camera that was made for it and even takes half way decent video's and all this for less then the price of a fast food dinner for the wife and I. Would recommend this quad or something similar before attempting to fly the Q696. I truly believe the Q696 is a great quad but just not my first quad. Hope this helps.
Jan 11, 2018, 07:48 PM
Registered User
Joris, Meant to say JJRC H31. Believe I said JJRC 31 and forgot to add the H. Anyway great little quad and a bunch of bang for the buck.
Jan 11, 2018, 09:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man flying
Joris, Wow this is a pretty big quad for your first experience flying. Not saying it can't be done but believe if I were you I'd start a little smaller and a lot less $$$. I started my quad flying with a JJRC 31 after several years in the heli world and many many years in the fixed wing ranks. Still got the JJRC 31 and have flown the crap out of it and it just comes back for more. Beat it crash it step on it it fly it into the house, tree's it doesen't matter it won't break. Knocked the landing gear off a time or two but it just pops back on. Picked up a small camera that was made for it and even takes half way decent video's and all this for less then the price of a fast food dinner for the wife and I. Would recommend this quad or something similar before attempting to fly the Q696. I truly believe the Q696 is a great quad but just not my first quad. Hope this helps.
Hi Old man flying!
I hear what you're saying, but it is a gift from my better half ...
Before she brought me a SkyKing Coaxial Helicopter and that was a real ^%#$^& to fly, in particular because the battery wouldn't last longer than 3 minutes, not a great succes story there (although she tought the lights where cute...)

My son was given a Nano Drone (4 inch) with a camera!, but the TX is also nano ( it fits in one hand) not sure if I should even attempt flying that one... besides, he should be able to crash his own toys

Pixelpeter gave me some pointers on how to start off, like running the motors gently without payload(?)/ take-off to rub-inn the brushes, and some footage on how te determine the flight-direction ( and correction) long distance.
Knowing me I'll be carefully practicing circles, squares and 8-figures on a 3 foot altitude first wondering if I should dismount the camera at first so that wont be damaged during practice

So here I am, a European with a Chinese quad, bought from an Arab, seeking advice from Americans...
... all I really need now is some Latin tunes and a broad smiling African to take footage of

So how about you?
I've read you managed to figure out what the front of the quad is and went on to FPV- mode! good for you!
made any more footage?
And did you find a proper manual? the one that came with mine is only 4 sheets of paper of witch half of it is in Chinese..
To give you an impression, one of the lines reads: "Turn the windshield trim from the flying saucer spindle, and then install the fan blade on the spindle as shown." ( so you know crashing will not be my fault)
I hope there will be more reactions on the Q696 quads here to share more info

Kind regards!
Jan 12, 2018, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man flying
Joris, Wow this is a pretty big quad for your first experience flying. Not saying it can't be done but believe if I were you I'd start a little smaller and a lot less $$$. I started my quad flying with a JJRC 31 after several years in the heli world and many many years in the fixed wing ranks. Still got the JJRC 31 and have flown the crap out of it and it just comes back for more. Beat it crash it step on it it fly it into the house, tree's it doesen't matter it won't break. Knocked the landing gear off a time or two but it just pops back on. Picked up a small camera that was made for it and even takes half way decent video's and all this for less then the price of a fast food dinner for the wife and I. Would recommend this quad or something similar before attempting to fly the Q696. I truly believe the Q696 is a great quad but just not my first quad. Hope this helps.
I guess you're right Old man .. the model you're suggesting costs as much as the one extra battery I bougt for my Q696, it would be stupid to fly that to bits at such a cost...
Is this were you ( or anyone else ) is going to tell me I'll need to buy a seperate charger as wel, or will I find out once I receive it without charger so the waiting game continious?
Please don't hesitate to inform me on other spare parts I may as wel purchase .. the misses will be delighted!
Oh well, it is a good thing we have a pretty comfy couch..
Jan 12, 2018, 09:41 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joris Dutch
Hi Old man flying!
I hear what you're saying, but it is a gift from my better half ...
Before she brought me a SkyKing Coaxial Helicopter and that was a real ^%#$^& to fly, in particular because the battery wouldn't last longer than 3 minutes, not a great succes story there (although she tought the lights where cute...)

My son was given a Nano Drone (4 inch) with a camera!, but the TX is also nano ( it fits in one hand) not sure if I should even attempt flying that one... besides, he should be able to crash his own toys

Pixelpeter gave me some pointers on how to start off, like running the motors gently without payload(?)/ take-off to rub-inn the brushes, and some footage on how te determine the flight-direction ( and correction) long distance.
Knowing me I'll be carefully practicing circles, squares and 8-figures on a 3 foot altitude first wondering if I should dismount the camera at first so that wont be damaged during practice

So here I am, a European with a Chinese quad, bought from an Arab, seeking advice from Americans...
... all I really need now is some Latin tunes and a broad smiling African to take footage of

So how about you?
I've read you managed to figure out what the front of the quad is and went on to FPV- mode! good for you!
made any more footage?
And did you find a proper manual? the one that came with mine is only 4 sheets of paper of witch half of it is in Chinese..
To give you an impression, one of the lines reads: "Turn the windshield trim from the flying saucer spindle, and then install the fan blade on the spindle as shown." ( so you know crashing will not be my fault)
I hope there will be more reactions on the Q696 quads here to share more info

Kind regards!
No I gave up on trying to make sense of the manual as the more I read the more confused I got. Finally turned to utube for video's. Seems I understand video's much better then trying to figure out chinglish. Believe the last stray was where in the manual it said something like install the airplane on the airplane. Now what the h#@# does that mean.
Jan 12, 2018, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Pixelpeter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man flying
install the airplane on the airplane. Now what the h#@# does that mean.
My chinglish interpretation: put the prop on the quad?
Jan 12, 2018, 01:19 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
My chinglish interpretation: put the prop on the quad?
Well that makes more sense then what I got out of it which was nothing. I'd say you did good!
Jan 12, 2018, 01:58 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man flying
Well that makes more sense then what I got out of it which was nothing. I'd say you did good!
like so?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Making what needs to happen .......happen......he saves dozens . rockyboy2 Life, The Universe, and Politics 3 Oct 04, 2017 01:08 AM
Discussion What happens to the keychain #11 threads? ginetto Aerial Photography 0 Jun 25, 2017 12:36 PM
Question What happened to the Flitz thread? GaryO Hand Launch 2 Dec 09, 2016 09:55 PM
Alert What happens to old threads Gammon Iron Scale Sailboats 6 Aug 27, 2016 06:37 PM
Discussion Please What did I FRY or what happened? Weanuts Radios 1 Jan 20, 2016 11:46 PM