Temperature - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2018, 11:00 AM
Question

Temperature

I live in New York currently and its 17° . I'm kind of new into the RC world and this might be a stupid question, but how cold is too cold for RC planes. I just finished building 3 scratch builds and am really eager to fly them, just having yet cuz I think it's too cold. Can someone tell me if it's safe or should I just wait till spring
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 11:18 AM
We have customers in Switzerland who fly all winter long in the Alps with gliders. It's way colder there than NY.

Andy
Jan 03, 2018, 12:00 PM
I ask because last week I tried flying, it is about the same temperature it is now. Everything was going fine for the first minute but then the plane lost power to the motor in mid-flight but the servo still works. So that's why I was thinking my electronics were too cold(esc). So is there any way that the cold could affect my electronics, or should I just take a closer look at my ESC. By the way everything is brand brand-new on my plane blheli 12a esc 1806 2300kv motor with a 6x3 prop Spectrum ar6600t receiver and a 900 to 1300 milliamp 3s battery. Any thoughts I'm what could have went wrong
Jan 03, 2018, 12:04 PM
It was really cold here today, 21 degrees. Of course that's C, it's a good bit warmer once converted to F. Still way too windy to fly
Jan 03, 2018, 12:08 PM
The battery needs to be reasonably warm before use. Keeping it in the inside pocket of your jacket until right before use is enough. Once you are drawing power from it, it will keep itself warm. If the battery is exposed to airflow, wrap it in some foam or bubble wrap for thermal insulation. Charge only at room temperature.

Other components are not affected by the cold.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:18 PM
thank guys guess ill be going flying after work today.

Quick Reply