Using same charger for different batteries? - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2018, 09:23 AM
Discussion

Using same charger for different batteries?

So my battery charger for one of my drones has mysteriously gone missing. The battery info is 850mAh 7.4V 15c.

I do still have a charger for my other drone that is used to charge a battery that is 1600mAh 7.4V .

Am I able to use the same charger even though the mAh is so much more on the battery itís designed for?
Last edited by Tankmm; Jan 03, 2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added photo
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 09:30 AM
Most likely a bad idea, it will put out too much current and could cause a fire. Do you have a picture of the charger ?
Jan 03, 2018, 09:35 AM
A spec label of the charger, and battery connectors is also helpful. A link to your models would help our research too.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:37 AM
Ok yes here it is. It has a standard USB plug with red and green indicator lights.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:40 AM
Are there any specs printed on the cable connector ?
Jan 03, 2018, 09:41 AM
Get yourself a decent charger that will charge any size Lipo. The ones that come with drones are cheap, not flexible, and will not make your battery last as long as a decent charger properly used.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately no. As for the drones.....the missing charger went to an interceptor drone. https://www.amazon.com/4-5-2-4-GHz-I.../dp/B015N3TO0U

However the one I have the charger for was a gift and I canít find a link for it.

Sorry Iím still just getting my feet wet when it comes to drones
Jan 03, 2018, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately no specs printed on the cable not in the manual. The missing charger went to an interceptor and the charger I do have goes to a Max-pro. It was a recent gift and I canít find any info online about it
Jan 03, 2018, 09:59 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Yes, get a good charger. But that wasn't what you asked. You can use the larger charger only if it does not charge the smaller battery too fast. What you're watching for is temperature rise during charging. A fully discharged battery can be recharged at the safe and recommended 1C in one hour. It's usually less because the battery is only mostly, not completely discharged.

If the small battery gets noticeably warm during charges or charges in only 10 minutes or so, it's probably not compatible with that charger.

But get a better charger. An IMAX B6 is a good place to start looking. Don't get less in features. You can still do much better depending on how much you want to spend.
Jan 03, 2018, 10:46 AM
to my knowledge you should be fine. That's a USB charger.

USB and USB2 plugs have 500mA on 5v. (2.5w)
USB3.0 has 900mA on 5v (4.5w)
USB3.1 has up to 3A on 5v (15w) (it actually is 1.5A to 3.0A so 7.5w to 15w. To be sure, I'd assume they all dish out 3A)
Also most AC-DC usb adapters only gives 1A (it's always written somewhere on the adapter. ) ( 5w)
Other AC-DC usb adapters give 2.1A (10.5w)

the battery being 850mAh at ~ 7.4v, it means it has ~6.3wh. Charging them from a USB1, USB2 or USB3.0 should be perfectly fine and actually give you less than a 1C charge. Even the rarer 2.1A adapters would be relatively safe (1.7C). If you charge on a USB3.1 port(assuming it has 3A), you would be charging at over 2C. It COULD damage the battery or at least reduce it's lifespan. Thats if the charger itself isn't limited in the power output, which is quite possible as well. I hardly see a cheap usb charger that came with a drone being able to dish out a 3A charge...

So to be safe, in my opinion, just make sure you charge from a USB3.0 or older port. or a AC-DC usb adapter (Double check the amperage to be sure). Some other people might have evidence against what I'm saying, but I think my math is good.

However, as the others have said... replace this piece of crap with a decent charger. They aren't too too expensive, and you'll have something that is soooo much better. But until you receive it, unless somebody correct my math here, I'd say you can use the USB charger. Just stay clear of USB3.1 ports.
Last edited by Matt86; Jan 03, 2018 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply