For Owners of the Turnigy Reaktor or Charsoon Antimatter... - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2018, 09:13 AM
67,000rpm
Discussion

For Owners of the Turnigy Reaktor or Charsoon Antimatter...

Are you able to discharge a Lead-acid (Pb) or NiMH battery with an external load, like you can do with Lithium-based batteries? Or are you limited to the 20W internal discharge function?

I understand it requires the balance lead to measure the voltage across the battery independently of the voltage across the external load (lightbulb), and Pb/Ni batteries don't have balance leads installed, but could you "trick" it by creating a "dummy" balance lead where the first and last wires are connected to the positive and negative terminals of the battery?

Secondly, if you own the 300W/20A version of these chargers with built-in AC adapter, how do you do data logging? I ordered an Antimatter from banggood yesterday thinking it was identical to the regular 300W unit, but later realised from the pics that the USB connector appears to be missing from the left hand side of the unit .
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 12:58 PM
Probably nobody has tried that yet. - I just did a test.
Yes it works! But only with a trick.

Li- mode and balance assignment is required. You have to connect a balancer cable. As a virtual replacement for the single cells, you'll need to use resistors in series. I used some with 390Ohm. So that the partial voltages at the balance connector do not differ too much, the resistors should be well selected.
The resistance chain (balancer replacement) should be removed after the automatic shut down of the charger on occasion, because they would otherwise continue to discharge the lead acid battery slowly.

The maximum and minimum voltage of the lead-acid battery must be within the sum voltage of the virtual Li-battery.
Example 12V lead acid battery :
Either 3s LiPo, then the battery voltage must not be higher than 12.6V. - Better would be a 4s LiFe battery setup. Then Pb-voltage up to 14.4V is possible.
Jan 03, 2018, 01:32 PM
67,000rpm
That's a great idea! I suppose the bigger the resistance the less it discharges through the resistors. Wonder if it will work with 10k ones. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does yours have a USB port?

Last question, can you use foamcutter or motor burn-in modes to drive a current through a batteries or does it throw an error when it detects a voltage across the terminals (because it expects just a wire)? Reason being, that mode would be great for trying to revive badly sulfated batteries (procedure is to apply high voltage for two weeks until sulfate breaks down, with very low current)
Jan 03, 2018, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMF5000
...Does yours have a USB port?..
I used the Junsi 306b for this test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMF5000
... Reason being, that mode would be great for trying to revive badly sulfated batteries (procedure is to apply high voltage for two weeks until sulfate breaks down, with very low current)
The foam cutting mode is limited in time (by timer) to a maximum of 4 hours.
I had been successful with normal lead-acid battery charging on a car battery, that had been deeply discharged for half a year, just by letting it hang on the charger for at least 24 hours.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:45 PM
67,000rpm
I've had good luck with deeply discharged batteries, but so far have yet to find a way to recover batteries with bad cells, or those that have been discharged for a few years and won't take more than 100mA at over 15V

Quick Reply