Jan 03, 2018, 08:18 AM
Discussion

Make it fly slower

I have a WLToys F949, it flys well outdoors but it is a little fast for in the Gym, (winter in northern Michigan). I have seen where there was fixed flaps add to the underside of the wing to make foam planes fly slower. Will anyone be able to give me some dimensions? I found thin foam material to make them with but not sure how long they should be or how, if any, they should stick out to make the wing wider?
Thanks
Edgar
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 02:35 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBclasics
I have a WLToys F949, it flys well outdoors but it is a little fast for in the Gym, (winter in northern Michigan). I have seen where there was fixed flaps add to the underside of the wing to make foam planes fly slower. Will anyone be able to give me some dimensions? I found thin foam material to make them with but not sure how long they should be or how, if any, they should stick out to make the wing wider?
Thanks
Edgar
If you're going to attach the flaps with scotch tape , you can experiment with different dimensions .... and you can also just use paper .

But in my opinion , I don't think flaps will significantly reduce the minimum stall speed ( slowest flight ) on an F949 . The main ingredient for slow flight is "light wing loading" . Wing loading is the overall flying WEIGHT of the plane , RELATIVE to the WING AREA . "Light" wing loading would be MINIMUM weight combined with MAXIMUM wing area .

If you are handy and interested in assembling a kit , you can get this indoor slow flyer kit https://www.banggood.com/TY-Model-Bl...r_warehouse=CN , along with this all-in-one receiver , ESC & servo combo that will bind to your transmitter https://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V911...r_warehouse=CN the whole unit is about the size of a book of matches .

Here is a TY Model Black flyer :

Black Flyer maiden flight (0 min 41 sec)

Here is a plane I've made specifically for flying slowly , so I made it with VERY light wing loading ( be sure to watch the landing at the end ) :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
Jan 03, 2018, 04:40 PM
yank and bank!!
That plane is a little big for a gym.... but to answer your question, I have added a couple of inches of wingspan to budget planes, used the smallest battery that still allowed proper cg (with no added ballast), and removed unnecessary weight (such as landing gear).
Jan 03, 2018, 11:01 PM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Fowler flaps increase wing area, reducing wing loading. Flaps beyond a certain degree of extension will create much more drag as well. Leading edge devices that allow for laminar flow at higher AOA, and turbulators near the leading edge. Go take a look at an aero banner tow airplane. Everything possible is done to get them to fly slow.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:07 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
The plane appears to have a fairly scale wing with both aileron and flap control surfaces molded in. Cut the flaps loose and tape them at about a 20ļ down angle and see what that gets you.

This is a 1S model, but it weighs 58g. In comparison, most of the Horizon 1S models weigh half that. That's why they fly so slow. But that being said, I fly 2S Horizon models like their Cessna 182 in a gym that is only the size of a single basketball court. So some of it is how slow the plane will fly and some of it is how much practice you have flying in a tight space...
Jan 04, 2018, 07:47 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Thanks
Edgar
I understand that you are a member of TRAMPS. There are some knowledgeable members in the club. I suggest that you tap them for some of their experience.

I'm a member, too, but I don't fly indoors. I look forward to meeting you in the Spring.
Jan 04, 2018, 10:32 AM

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses, I ordered the Black Flyer and the V911 board looks like it might be a good winter project. Tom do you come to the monthly meeting of Tramps? Thanks again, Edgar
Jan 04, 2018, 01:38 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I ordered the Black Flyer and the V911 board looks like it might be a good winter project. Thanks again, Edgar
Do you have the small transmitter that came with a RTF F949 , or do you have a FlySky/Turnigy transmitter for a BNF F949 ?

Let us know how it turns out , with video if possible !
Jan 04, 2018, 02:09 PM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Tom do you come to the monthly meeting of Tramps? Edgar
Not usually, Edgar, especially during the Winter months. I like to stay home, where it's safe and warm. LOL
Jan 04, 2018, 02:11 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If you are interested in scratch building , there are a number of planes ( that fly well indoors ) that you can make easily and inexpensively out of $1 foam board from a Dollar Store . The Nutball , Pizza Box Flyer and Smart Dart XS ( and others ) all fly well with the nose up .... and can therefore be flown slowly . The airframe can be made with $1 or $2 worth of foam board , hot glue and tape .... and you can get electronics for about $30 - $40 per plane .

Here's a Nutball flying indoors :

Hobby King NUTBALL (2 min 23 sec)

Here's a Pizza Box Flyer flying indoors :

PbF Cool Pizza Box Flyer (9 min 21 sec)

Here's a Smart Dart XS , you can see how slow it is when he flies with the nose up :

Smart Dart at CAF (5 min 30 sec)

All three of those planes are also available as kits .
Jan 05, 2018, 05:47 AM
Thanks, I like the pizza box one, one of the guys had one that looked like a cowboy had that flew like that
Jan 05, 2018, 05:53 AM
Not much better on my side of town
Jan 05, 2018, 11:48 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Thanks, I like the pizza box one, one of the guys had one that looked like a cowboy had that flew like that
The Pizza Box Flyer is available as a kit ( EPP foam & hardware ) from Fancy Foam , $30 if you select unpainted . http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...Box_p_197.html Or you can build the airframe out of about $2 worth of Dollar Store foam board . You would need a 4 channel ( minimum ) radio with elevon mixing , or buy a v-tail mixer . https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us
Jan 05, 2018, 02:04 PM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Not much better on my side of town
I was out, on the West Side, the other day. There was near white out conditions near Rennie Field.
Jan 06, 2018, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Do you have the small transmitter that came with a RTF F949 , or do you have a FlySky/Turnigy transmitter for a BNF F949 ?

Let us know how it turns out , with video if possible !
I have the small controller that came with the 949 and I have a V911 copter with a remote, one of them should work

Quick Reply