1/4 scale Super Ximango/Fournier RF-10 - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2018, 08:53 AM
Build Log

1/4 scale Super Ximango/Fournier RF-10

Hello folks!

My name is Charles and I live in Brasília, the federal Capital of Brasil!

I am an airline pilot, flying the A320 Airbus family!

In 2018, I will be completing 10 years of my first flight! It was on a Super Ximango motor glider. A plane built by the brasilian Aeromot, based on the french Fournier RF-10.

Before become I pilot, I used to build electric models, mainly using fiberglass. But because of all the studying and high load of work, the builds had to be halted!

But recently, I moved to Brasília where I am based now, and finally have a little bit more of spare time. So, I decided to build from scratch the Ximango!

The scale is 1/4, so the wingspan will be 440cm and fuselage length about 205cm.

I started the project build a 3d model on Blender(blender.org) and printed the sections to cut the MDF to make the plug. Them, I will make the molds.

The model will be built using composite materials and I hope to finish this saga in less than 2 years!

I created a page in Portuguese to post the building process to my friends watch: www.facebook.com/tecnicasdemodelismo.

This is a movie showing the beginning of the construction:
Início da construção do Ximango #01 (2 min 46 sec)

Any comments and help will be very appreciated.

Charles
Last edited by charlespereira; Jan 11, 2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Changed from Discussion to Build log
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2018, 09:34 AM

Strip planking

Continuing with the build, I cut the sections of the fuselage and glued on the longitudinal plane.

To get everything as straight as possible, I clamped the fuselage on two sheets of MDF, that were cut with a CNC machine.

And now, the strip planking started. I am using a 4mm plywood.

Chapeamento do Plug da Fuselagem - Construção do Super Ximango #02 (2 min 33 sec)

Charles Pereira
www,facebook,com/tecnicasdemodelismo
Last edited by charlespereira; Today at 12:54 AM. Reason: Video attached
Jan 08, 2018, 05:15 PM

Strip planking

Hello!

I removed the half of the fuselage from the template and continued the plating with plywood strips.

Then, I used a laser level to check if the longitudinal axis alignment is correct and I think it's fine.

It will still take many hours to finish closing the entire fuselage, but by now, you can see the size that will be. I'm excited about the result!

Next step will be fill in the spaces with poliurethane foam.
Jan 16, 2018, 11:31 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice..its looking good

Quick Reply