Jan 02, 2018, 11:58 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Discussion

Vought V-173

This is my profile version of the Flying Flapjack. All DTF, 27" wing span. 22oz AUW. Two Emax 2812 1440kv. 20a esc;s
9X4.7sf APC's 9g Towerpro servos. 3s 1000, About 175W per side. Wing loading is 5.5oz per sq ft.

Not quiet done, waiting on the rev. prop. And neat up the wires and some cosmetics,

It is setup as a delta, the two control surfaces on each side work together, the fins are full flying.

to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 01:06 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Pretty neat, gonna run diff. thrust?
Jan 03, 2018, 02:14 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Pretty neat, gonna run diff. thrust?
Don't have enough mix;s, 5 and it takes 4 to make the fins work. I have enough channels, but short one mix.

May change to the Tactic 850.

Thanks for the comment.
Jan 03, 2018, 02:28 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Why wait for the prop? Counters really make no difference.
Jan 03, 2018, 08:25 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
If you have the channels, you can use a 'V' tail mixer to get differential throttle.

Ray.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:05 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
If you have the channels, you can use a 'V' tail mixer to get differential throttle.

Ray.
Can you show the settings for a DX6?
Jan 03, 2018, 10:55 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Nicely done Sir
I think I recall that the area that we might think of as an elevator was actually free floating on the full sized fighter maybe even the earlier version like yours.

Imagine how planes might had evolved had a few things been different back then.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Nicely done Sir
I think I recall that the area that we might think of as an elevator was actually free floating on the full sized fighter maybe even the earlier version like yours.

Imagine how planes might had evolved had a few things been different back then.
The were free floating on the V-173 for sure. As I understand it, they were activated by air pressure when the craft was in ground effect to help keep the nose up.

Originally there was nothing there, they were added after running into landing difficulties.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:22 PM
Vought V-173 Pancake Walkaround (19 min 7 sec)
Jan 03, 2018, 01:45 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
Can you show the settings for a DX6?
Sorry, don't know about the Dx6, but here's a circuit diagram in the first post of -- The Twins: multi purpose cargo plane thread

Ray.
Jan 03, 2018, 06:29 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I'll take a look at that post, and Localfiend, thanks for the video, nice.

Did you know both planes were the same size, the other weighted like 13,000lbs, and it never
flew. it was smashed and forgotten, it was made with plywood made from balsa and sheets of
aluminum. It was so strong they had some problems smashing it.
Jan 04, 2018, 08:14 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
This is what I had to work with, pretty simple. The red line is the cut line for the fuselage, needs a notch for the
KFM section. The placement on the drawing it not to scale, the spar should be just forward of the KFM line.
the landing gear came from Banggood. I made the motor mount large so I could play with different motors.

Any questions just ask.
Last edited by BHOFM; Jan 04, 2018 at 08:36 PM.
Jan 04, 2018, 08:31 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I made plenty of room for moving the battery around. I used a piece of CF rod to steady the end
of the control rod for the fins. You can see it on the inside of the servo arm. Be careful not to get
glue in the outer rod!
There is a piece of 1/16 ply on the top, under the KFm section, epoxied and screwed together to
hold the gear, I realized after I had it in place it needed to be farther out, so the reason for having
the gear on the edge. Bad planning.

Jan 04, 2018, 08:50 PM
Flying Pancake, of all models would be v simple to build as a real double skin airfoil..rather than hope a 5/16" Step will do the trick
Hide all the innards as well
Jan 04, 2018, 09:01 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
The step is primarily for added strength. I have found the round planes don't benefit that much
from the airfoil. And I have build a lot of them! In reality cutting the center out helps more than
anything!

O-Fungles rule!

Quick Reply