Jan 06, 2018, 02:45 PM
Randy:

A contest? There are some of us more than willing to come on up. From all the years of BSoCO, we are fully aware of the great soaring up North.

Yours, Greg
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2018, 12:27 PM
Randy,

Please post your F3RES tentative contest schedule here when you guys get it. Our RMSA scheduling meeting is Jan 31st so make sure Jim knows your thoughts. Between F3RES, Open, F3J, F5J, F3K and the out of town contests, the RMSA lads have a lot to work on at the meeting!

Also, pm me your email and I’ll throw you on the list for the RMSA newsletter which has started up again. It’s just an e-mail so include other Springs guys as you see fit and we’ll increase the rc soaring cross flow.

A big F3RES contest would be a lot of fun.

Anyway, I’m in and will be building my Chrysalis when Jim D gets them in.

Sam, you’ll be getting mileage out of that Allegro. That fuse looks nice!

Reid
Jan 07, 2018, 06:01 PM
Well, this is cool. Maybe we can get some interest going on the other side of Colorado. There really is a lot of hot air, over here. The thermals are plentiful, even in the winter.
Jan 07, 2018, 08:07 PM
Maybe this summer Ann and I can FINALLY get out west to pay you folks a visit. We've been planning to do that for years, but things keep getting in the way. Hopefully this year will have a lot less drama and a lot less time spent in hospitals.
Jan 07, 2018, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Don it would be great to have you and your wife here at RMSA and flying with us. Hope to finalize some dates for a F3RES contest by months end!

Cheers,

John
Jan 08, 2018, 12:14 PM
Hello Reid, PPSS will be discussing any schedule for the F3-RES events on the 15th. Right now the discussion has been for them to be trial events to test the concept and to see how much interest there is in the club. After that perhaps we'll know if there is anything concrete that we can schedule around. We did have three F3-RES flyers at the sod farm on Saturday and that is a good sign this being in early January.

Don, we would enjoy having you visit Colorado. DJ Aerotech has certainly gotten behind this innovative new class and we appreciate that. Also to have Glidermang himself come this way would be an honor. It all feels like a great flying season coming up!

Randy
Jan 22, 2018, 11:11 AM
Thread OP

Yellow Jacket

Got my Yellow Jacket and now I have the gear gathered.

- 2 KST x08 servos for rudder and elevator and a micro Servo from China for spoilers.

- Futaba RX

- LiFe battery with magnetic switch

Weight of components; 62.9g or 2.18oz

Just gotta find time to start the build.
Jan 23, 2018, 12:53 AM
This would be good to know when a Colorado F3RES event would occur. Thanks.
Jan 23, 2018, 01:04 AM
Thread OP
There’s a meeting on the 31st to hash out next years contest schedule. Hopefully we’ll have a date after.
Jan 28, 2018, 12:12 AM
I saw the announcement that there will be three contests this year for F3RES: two in July, one in August.

There are several of us here in New Mexico who plan on attending, in particular one of the July events. This will be an excellent preparation for attending the Soaring Nats later in July.

Now that significant time has passed (several hours), though, I can not recall where I saw the announcement. Can anyone point me to it?

Yours, Greg
Jan 28, 2018, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Hi Greg,

It was in an email sent by Randy Reynolds of the Colorado Springs club....

We hope to have the RMSA dates set by months end..

Cheers,

John
Jan 28, 2018, 12:48 PM
Hi Greg,

Keep in mind that the three "contests" are really trails being the first time we will have flown F3-RES. Also we're assuming our members will be supporting this new class. I would think that between RMSA and PPSS that there will be a pretty good contest cooked up at some point. We'll be sure to keep you guys up to speed.

It would be great to have you come to Colorado and that would add a lot of interest all by itself. Just be warned that one of our members is cooking up a retro Gentle Lady for F3-RES so you would have to have pretty sharpened skills with you )

Randy
Jan 28, 2018, 01:41 PM
Just for clarity I should post what PPSS in Colorado Springs is planning for F3-RES this coming summer.
For a full schedule of regular official contests see the PPSS website at http://www.ppssrc.com

The dates for the F3-RES events are:

July 7th - Saturday
July 28th - Saturday (week after Howlin’ Coyote)
August 18th - Saturday

These are intended for the membership to experiment with this new event and as such we have planned some local rules:

Eight identical Hi Starts have been constructed and they will be used for the three events. We are using braided 50lb dacron line with 8" Mr. Kite parachutes specifically intended for FS-RES. The thought is to cut down the retrieve distance by the use of parachutes.

We will fly man on man with on-field grouping and scoring. Four rounds are planned but this can change

We will not use the nine minute window but rather straight six minute maxes. this is to make it a bit easier on some of our older members who aren't up to chasing the line under contest pressure. We could change our mind as we experiment with the event.

F3-RES landings are planned.

Several of the PPSS members are interested in attending other events as well so we are looking forward to joining our RMSA sister club and others in this new development.
Jan 28, 2018, 02:49 PM
Randy:

Thanks for reminding me that it wasn't an RCGroups post, but an e-mail. I responded, too, just a minute ago.

Yeah, we want to come, especially in July, when it will be a good chance to shake things out (even for a single day) before some of us go the Soaring Nats in Muncie. Over the years, we have had many good times coming to Colorado. For me, primarily that has been the BSoCO, but I'm afraid that F3K is pretty much behind me, now.

For you guys, the BAM F5J is August 25-26, at the Balloon Park this year (so, no mud, sorry about that). And, our second F3RES International will be 10-11 November, with a good chance of a clinic on setting up your glider for best launch on 9 November. Again, at the Balloon Park, so again, no mud. Sorry.

Yours, Greg
Jan 29, 2018, 11:58 AM
Thanks for that info, Randy and Greg. Hopefully, some of us might be able to make it over and check out the fun.

Quick Reply