Spektrum Quad Race Serial Receiver w/Diversity (SPM4648) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 02, 2018, 05:00 PM
FAQ

Spektrum Quad Race Serial Receiver w/Diversity (SPM4648)

OVERVIEW

The Spektrum DSMX Quad Race receiver provides a high speed serial data connection with up to 20 channels. It's small and lightweight providing an excellent receiver for even the smallest of applications. It also features Auto-Bind so you no longer need to carry a separate receiver to bind. Dual antennas provide receiver diversity for solid signal and the long coax antennas help to provide maximum signal strength in all orientations for challenging installations where carbon fiber, metal and batteries shield the antenna. And with Spektrum DSMX 2.4GHz RF protocol the Spektrum DSMX Quad Race receiver provides unsurpassed range and interference free performance for quad racing.

KEY FEATURES

Antenna Diversity

Auto-bind

Serial port supports Remote/Satellite Receiver

Weighs only 3 grams

11ms speed with exceptional range and interference free operation

Works with most flight controllers including the Naze32, CC3D, SP F3 and more*

*Requires Remote/Satellite connection

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Type:Micro Serial Receiver

# of Channels:Up to 20

ModulationSM2/DSMX

Band:2.4GHz

Length:1.0 in (26mm)

Width:0.8 in (21mm)

Height:0.3 in (8mm)

Weight:1.3 oz (3.6g)

Voltage Range:3.3V

Antenna Length:2.4 in (62mm)

MSRP: $24.99*

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=SPM4648

Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jan 03, 2018 at 04:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 05:02 PM
Most important things!

- this is a 3.3V receiver (don't feed it with 5V)

- it's a serial receiver and uses the Spektrum Satelite Protocol (don't confuse it with SBUS or SRXL)

- this receiver is the only receiver from Spektrum with auto bind (no CLI command needed)

FliteTest // Build Video with the SPM4648 Quad Race Serial Receiver

FT 270 Quad BUILD | FLITE TEST (1 hr 53 min 22 sec)

click here to jump directly to the installation of the reciever
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jan 02, 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Jan 03, 2018, 01:52 PM
Kiss FC

Revolt
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jan 03, 2018 at 02:03 PM.
Jan 03, 2018, 03:39 PM
Can you not connect it to the sbus pad as long as you can configure that uart to Spektrum? It's just a serial rx after all? Right?

That's how it connects on the vortex 230, all rx's connect on the same signal line, you only move the voltage cable to suit your rx.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Can you not connect it to the sbus pad as long as you can configure that uart to Spektrum? It's just a serial rx after all? Right?

That's how it connects on the vortex 230, all rx's connect on the same signal line, you only move the voltage cable to suit your rx.

It depends, the inverter that’s needed for sbus needs to able to be “turned off”, some FCs have an always inverted SBus “pad”, if that’s the case, then it won’t work.

The other thing is, the SpekPot is usually located next to or is including a 3.3V pad which is needed for those kind of “receiver/satellites”
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jan 06, 2018 at 11:27 AM.
Jan 06, 2018, 11:29 AM
Thanks to Chris I got pics of how he mounts his! Looks nice decased and the antenna pointing in one direction

Feb 08, 2018, 07:05 PM
Fly Just A Little Harder
I have one of these receivers and it's working great with my old first gen dx7 but my friend ran one of these with the same antenna setup but with a dx7 g2 and it was always failsafing and he also tried a dx8 g2 and that didn't work either. We could fly at the same spot with the exact same setup and his would failsafe and mine wouldn't. I guess the difference was dsm2 dsmx but I thought dsmx is supposed to be better . I guess in this case dsm2 was better unless there is some other difference. He tried the new rx Also but with the same results. So he finally went to frsky
Feb 08, 2018, 07:21 PM
No bounce, No play.
You say he tried the new Rx. You mean he tried your good working Rx?
Feb 08, 2018, 08:35 PM
Fly Just A Little Harder
No he tried the newer updated spm4649t after this one
Feb 09, 2018, 04:29 AM
His radio most likely was at fault then and needed to be sent back. If he sold it to anyone then chances are they are now flying on a faulty radio if they never check it over and do a proper range check.

While Spektrum might not penetrate as well as some other brands both the 4648 and 4649 have been good for me on DSMX, well enough to leave the tx in the house and take the rx off for a walk outside and down the street. I'm on EU/UK equipment too. Further tests showed my video dropped way before rado did.

Strangely even though frsky penetrates better, when I tested it in a high interference area, it basically just refused to work where Spektrum didn't seem much affected.
Feb 09, 2018, 06:53 AM
Fly Just A Little Harder
He bought a new dx8 and had the same trouble as his dx7. All the other things he flew with them worked fine
Feb 09, 2018, 08:03 AM
Weird.
Feb 09, 2018, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bigdirtdiggers
He bought a new dx8 and had the same trouble as his dx7. All the other things he flew with them worked fine
a DX8 G2? Weird, did he ever look at the flight log (SPM4649T is so awesome though sure more expensive than the SPM4648... IMO)

BTW there is always the chance of the quad beeing "the problem", have you guys tried to use "your" radio with his quad?
Feb 09, 2018, 02:17 PM
Fly Just A Little Harder
No we didn't try that. Maybe it was his power supply
Feb 09, 2018, 02:20 PM
No bounce, No play.
Even something silly like a unnoticed ground loop causing problems.

Quick Reply