Dallas Texas RC Pilots - Where do you fly? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 02, 2018, 04:45 PM
Discussion

Dallas Texas RC Pilots - Where do you fly?

Hi Guys.

My girlfriend and I have just planted roots in Dallas and im looking for places to fly and hopefully join up with other pilots in the area.
We live in the Uptown area of Dallas and have a Showroom in the Design District.
Iv flown my planes and drones along the Trinity river which is a nice open space but the area is badly maintained and landings are REALLY sketchy!!!
Iv also flown at white rock lake off the slope near Scout Hill Drive (fun spot, but seemed very close to people and roads).
I have heard mention of the "Dump" for slope soaring, but apparently its not always accessible?

Where do the rest of you fly and is there a group that I can possibly meet up with in my free time?

Thanks

Blair H
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 07:49 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Welcome to the DFW area.

Are you looking for organized flying sites that will require AMA membership and club membership, or are you looking for informal flying sites?

Lots of excellent local clubs and fields in the area. The AMA web site allows you to search for clubs in your area and links to a google map of their flying field, usually.

I am not currently up on the informal sites in Dallas. I used to fly some at a popular informal site at Renner Rd and the George Bush Tollway, but I believe that is gone due to buildup. Could be wrong.

I would also ask around the LHSs and see if they have any intel on good informal sites.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Jan 02, 2018, 09:41 PM
Thanks Thomas.

I'd like to join a club if possible, but if only found of one club (north dallas field i think) which is a fair distance to drive out especially if there are closer places to fly.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:42 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Lots of other closer clubs and flying sites.

Go here, put in you zip code and see what you get. There are 17 clubs within 30 miles of downtown Dallas.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

The distances can be misleading as I think the mileage is the distance to the residence of the club officer.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Jan 03, 2018, 10:19 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Trammell Crow park along the Trinity. Never flown there myself but I hear tell it's bueno.
Jan 03, 2018, 10:29 AM
Thanks Thomas, there are a few within a decent driving distance, emailed a couple of the principal members, lets see what happens.
Are there any fields you recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Lots of other closer clubs and flying sites.

Go here, put in you zip code and see what you get. There are 17 clubs within 30 miles of downtown Dallas.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

The distances can be misleading as I think the mileage is the distance to the residence of the club officer.
Hi Curtis,
Where along the trinity is that? I really enjoy flying along the trinity, my only issue is the area is very rough and the lawn is very shrub like and landings can easily go very south if the wheels catch in the grass/weeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas
Trammell Crow park along the Trinity. Never flown there myself but I hear tell it's bueno.
Jan 03, 2018, 10:37 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Blair, all I know is a Google Earth search tags the park below Sylvan Ave. I guess you'll have to jump in/on your ___________ and scout it out.

GPS 32.791, -96.834

Or you could slide down to Riverside TX at the public ramp and fly the Trinity with me. Won't be much more than 6hrs r/t. Lol
Last edited by Curtis in Texas; Jan 03, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Jan 03, 2018, 10:51 AM
Lol thats right where i fly.. Our showroom is right off Irving Blvd, so i just walk down and im right there.
maybe i need to be shown where to land (or how to land lol) but iv botched up one planes landing gear from it hooking on the shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas
Blair, all I know is a Google Earth search tags the park below Sylvan Ave. I guess you'll have to jump in/on your ___________ and scout it out.

GPS 32.791, -96.834

Or you could slide down to Riverside TX at the public ramp and fly the Trinity with me. Won't be much more than 6hrs r/t. Lol
Jan 03, 2018, 11:17 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Only 1 plane? err ... that's horrible, musta been a mfg. defect.

Quick Reply