DX7 or DX8 how to connect to Apprentice S - RC Groups
Jan 02, 2018, 05:17 PM
Discussion

DX7 or DX8 how to connect to Apprentice S

Ok guys need help, I have a new Apprentice S and getting either a DX7 or DX8 to use. I'm buying this radio so I can use later on other planes.
Questions can I still hook up the safe switch and the 3 modes for beginner to advance?

Also I want to add the telemetry piece to monitor battery output. I seen some where they hooked one in to the bind plug on the receiver?

thanks in advance
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 06:02 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40buickcoupe
Ok guys need help, I have a new Apprentice S and getting either a DX7 or DX8 to use. I'm buying this radio so I can use later on other planes.
Questions can I still hook up the safe switch and the 3 modes for beginner to advance?

Also I want to add the telemetry piece to monitor battery output. I seen some where they hooked one in to the bind plug on the receiver?

thanks in advance
If you are getting a brand new DX8 with your Apprentice S , all the info you need will be in the plane manual and radio manual .

Do you want to use telemetry to monitor flight pack voltage ? If so , you need a telemetry module https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM9548 and a flight pack voltage sensor https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPMA9556 .
Jan 02, 2018, 08:22 PM
what do I hook the TM1000 up to? With the receiver on the apprentice there may be no extra slots?
Jan 02, 2018, 09:06 PM
I talked to Horizon and they said you cant use that on the stock receiver, is there a way to piggy back another receiver and keep the stock one for the safe function
Jan 04, 2018, 06:13 PM
Let's back up and talk about why you think you need to monitor battery voltage. There should be no need since it is very easy to just time your flights with the Tx internal timer and adjust your flight times as needed while giving yourself a couple of minutes extra in case of aborted landings or such. I personally think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. The S will fly easily 15 minutes at normal cruise on the stock battery with some mah left over.
Jan 04, 2018, 10:51 PM
thanks I have not flown it and have no idea of how much time I have. Some people say 10 min another guy on youtube flew his for 24 min and still had time left. I guess a good start would be 15 min bring it in and check battery
Jan 05, 2018, 03:05 PM
Perpetual Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40buickcoupe
thanks I have not flown it and have no idea of how much time I have. Some people say 10 min another guy on youtube flew his for 24 min and still had time left. I guess a good start would be 15 min bring it in and check battery
Couple items:
1) If the choice is between the DX8 G2 or a DX7 G2 go for the DX8. They're the same price but the 8 is a much better radio than just another channel.

2) The easiest way to set up the radio for the Apprentice is to follow the instructions for the DX9. The setup is the same for all the Gen 2/3 radios which the DX9 listed is. A better setup though is the one by FlightEng which can be found in this thread or you can PM me and I'll send you my setup file which has some changes/improvements to FlightEng's.
Jan 07, 2018, 10:38 AM
thanks for the incite, Ill get my equipment and look for his thread
Jan 08, 2018, 10:33 AM
Perpetual Noob
emailed my Apprentice SPM file
Jan 09, 2018, 12:37 AM
If your using a 2200mah battery then you will be able to get 10 min easy. Set the timer for 10 min to start out with.
Last edited by FoxProGT; Jan 10, 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Jan 09, 2018, 09:37 AM
Perpetual Noob
I use the 3S 3200 batteries in my Apprentice S and regularly get 18 minutes of "pattern" flying. I cut that back to 15 minutes if me or a student are shooting touch-n-goes as the climb out requires more throttle. But for gentle flying with horizontal figure eights, 18 minutes leaves plenty of power for landings with 2 and 3 year old batteries.
Jan 13, 2018, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31
emailed my Apprentice SPM file
Can I have it too please
Peter
Jan 13, 2018, 06:39 PM
thanks guys, I have the 3s 3200, 18 min Is plenty of time being I have 3 batteries, what is the charge time on these batteries? I bought a fast charger AC/DC if I use my car battery
Jan 13, 2018, 09:17 PM
Perpetual Noob
It depends on how much charge the battery needs and the rate at which it's charged. You can usually charge a 3200 cell at 6400 (6.4A) with no damage. This will roughly halve the required time bu the longest period is spent in balancing.t he charge across the 3 cells.

Quick Reply