CNC like a 3D printer for indoor use. Product idea feedback please? - RC Groups
Jan 02, 2018, 12:13 PM

CNC like a 3D printer for indoor use. Product idea feedback please?

Hello all,

To start off, this post is by no means an advertisement nor am I selling anything. I'm only here for your opinions and feedback.

I'm sure everyone here is at least a little familiar with CNC router tables for their making/hobby needs. We may have all wanted one at some point... But for me, and I'm sure many others, the logistics of owning one just wouldn't work. They're messy, very loud, and I dont have a shop sitting around to put it in.

This is a weird passion to have, but I really see the potential in these machines and I want to make them available to everyone (truly everyone). I'm an experienced engineer myself and I've worked with other designers and manufactures to create the machine that captured my vision, named Chisel. Chisel is a fully contained system with dust and debris collection, LCD control screen, ejecting bed, auto start/stop, and auto calibration. Its a horizontally oriented machine, so all shavings stay away from the part and fall to the collection bin. I wanted to make it completely hands-off and real easy to use.

Clearly, its selling point is that it can be put in someones bedroom or office and you can make parts just like a 3D printer would but out of aluminum, carbon fiber, plastic, wood, PCB boards, acrylic... etc. If you're making a large 3-D part out of aluminum that could take hours, you can leave and not worry about it. It'll work while you're out and shut down when its done.

Now the downsides of the machine is that its small. Its bed size is only about 5 inches by 5 inches. While its ideal for 3-D parts, you can be heavily constrained by its x/y directions. Also, its expensive. I didn't want a half-assed POS to hit the market so its very high quality, rigid machine, but at a cost of $900-$1000.

I know I would have tons of use for this. It would be great for metal and other materials right in my bedroom of my apartment. But I'm concerned with the market. I hope my honesty doesn't come across as a lack of confidence. Your opinions really matter to me. I'll read every one and feel free to ask any questions or point out any concerns.

Thank you!

Note: One of these photos is dated from previous development. It says Metal3D. Exact Same machine but with a name, and name location change (apologies)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 06:00 PM
serial scratchbuilder
This machine is an Openbuilds "Mini-mill" laying on its side. It is constructed from "V-slot" extrusions and uses small wheels for linear guides, good for wood/plastic but not rigid enough for metalwork.
Last edited by Granted; Jan 02, 2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply