Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 02, 2018, 01:17 AM
Denny the "Finger"

B24 Narrowly Averts Disaster

An interesting day at the field for sure...

Maiden flight of the Flightline RC B24 Liberator. I dumb thumbed the elevator and caused a prop strike. I was sure when she nosed over I would have to let her go, but without any throttle she pulled out and I went for the nearest flat spot. An exciting flight for sure! the props are ordered (two sets) and the nacelle (which I think came off during flight from vibration) will glue on nicely. She will fly again soon, with less elevator... I think there may be some photos coming of the details.

RC B24 (0 min 42 sec)

And then, when everyone had left, these guys showed up!

Elk herd at Fly-A-Ways (1 min 10 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 10:52 AM
So many planes, So little time

Elk at the field.

I sure hope those guys keep off the geotex!
Looks like she wanted to go over to the cemetery but held up at the creek.
Dennis, did you wait to see where they all went?
I sure hope they went back across the highway and don't start hanging around the field.

That was a wonderful save with the B-24!
Landing on the gravel road without tearing out the gear
awesome New Years Day, for sure
Jan 02, 2018, 01:10 PM
Denny the "Finger"
The herd was headed toward the lumber mill when I left and the Sheriff was trying to figure out how to get them back across HWY26 when I left. They would devastate the runway if they ran across it. Apparently they came south over the freeway a bit farther west and that's what all the people were stopping to look at.
Jan 02, 2018, 01:23 PM

Lucky

Yes, we are lucky you were still out there.
That herd would ruin the grass and geotex with one pass.
If it had been a nasty day, they could have spent the whole night at the field.
Jan 03, 2018, 01:31 PM

Beautiful B-24

The B24 might be nose heavy?
Glad the Elk stayed off the runway.
Jan 03, 2018, 01:53 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Doubtful, balanced on jig. Im fairly confident my thumb did it. Most dont know, but because of spinal injury I dont have feeling in my fingertips. Sometimes stuff happens...

Anyone flying today? Last day of clear frigid weather before the rain comes back.
Jan 04, 2018, 12:58 PM
Just saw the video Den... wow! What a save, I thought for sure it was going to nose in hard. I'm glad it survived to see better days
Jan 04, 2018, 01:27 PM
Chris let me know that someone collided with those Elk this morning at the Dersham Road exit. Here's a picture from the sheriff. No people were hurt. Some of the elk didn't do as well.

Frank was just saying yesterday that that herd seemed to stay about the same size year after year and we were wondering what preys on elk around here. Apparently... trucks.
Jan 05, 2018, 03:28 PM

Sad

It's a shame the Elk could not avoid a disaster themselves this last week.
So many died, I hope the remains of this herd has moved back up into the hills.
Oregonian was reporting 12 dead.
Jan 11, 2018, 08:25 PM
WOW!!!
Fantastic Photos, good job Greg

Now we know when and where the props came off, that's one tough foam plane.
Jan 11, 2018, 10:52 PM
Spectacular!

Dennis
Jan 15, 2018, 11:38 AM
Nice triplane!!
Jan 15, 2018, 01:15 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kollmann
Nice triplane!!
I was at Elmer's this morning with Sue having coffee and waiting for breakfast when I read your post.

I don't want to get too graphic, but coffee through the nose is not as pleasant as all of the people watching would have you believe.

Props replaced and out for another flight yesterday. It went great. I think Greg may have gotten a few good photos. It also has a great option to make the nose gun turret an FPV turret! (next time)

It really flies mellow like a big bomber should, but it doesn't handle very well on the ground. At CG the nose wheel still doesn't touch the ground much, particularly when the runway is a little bumpy.
Last edited by D_Wright; Jan 15, 2018 at 06:45 PM.
Jan 16, 2018, 01:12 PM
Denny the "Finger"

Flight worthy again

FYI... three new props and some hot glue later...

Quick Reply