Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 03, 2018, 02:14 PM
Awww, those silly foreigners using Millimetres, how could they?????

You colonials are just sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 04:49 PM
And yet they are called Imperial units, not Colonial units.

Go figure
Jan 03, 2018, 05:12 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
The better question is, why is all this crap in inches, foots, lubs and ozzes? What the hell is an oz? Why would you measure things in Australias? Or is it Wizards?
Jan 03, 2018, 05:26 PM
To me, "mm" means "tasty."

Andy

1930,s campbell soup jingle (0 min 12 sec)
Jan 03, 2018, 05:50 PM
I actually love lightly steamed broccoli without cheese or in Chinese fried rice .... mm
Jan 03, 2018, 06:47 PM
My science book first praised the metric system, claiming that they will "try" to only use the metric system for obvious reasons. But then they either throw in inches, feet etc. Or, they use ml by writing "mL"

Currently I must very unfortunately study biology, and their excuse for not using the metric system is "You will learn it next year, for now, all you need to know..."
Jan 03, 2018, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert1
My science book first praised the metric system, claiming that they will "try" to only use the metric system for obvious reasons. But then they either throw in inches, feet etc. Or, they use ml by writing "mL"
US national standards bureau recommends mL, internationally ml and mL are acceptable though ml is frequently preferred to avoid confusion with m1. Not sure when m1 would be used though...
Jan 03, 2018, 06:56 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
The better question is, why is all this crap in inches, foots, lubs and ozzes? What the hell is an oz? Why would you measure things in Australias? Or is it Wizards?
One gallon of water weighs approximately 8 lbs; common denominations of liquid are quarts, pints, cups and half of a cup (a tea cup)... 16 oz of water occupies the volume of a pint and constitutes one pound of weight. And for some reason somebody decided they needed to make the lowest whole denomination the weight/volume of 2 tablespoons of water.

I'd go for a pound of beer right about now.
Latest blog entry: Ready for test flight
Jan 03, 2018, 06:59 PM
M1 I've only seen on 1mm metric screws I believe. But then the "m" is capital. I never knew you could use mL, always thought the internationally accepted way is ml. Just made a quick search though and it seems that both are accepted. Though mL looks a bit off to me.

But the OP put MM, and I'm pretty sure that is not correct...
Jan 03, 2018, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert1
M1 I've only seen on 1mm metric screws I believe. But then the "m" is capital. I never knew you could use mL, always thought the internationally accepted way is ml. Just made a quick search though and it seems that both are accepted. Though mL looks a bit off to me.

But the OP put MM, and I'm pretty sure that is not correct...
Yeah, Capital M would mean it's Megameters and he's improperly capitalized the meter. And if you've got a 1200 Megameter wing I think you're going to need a special permit for a super giant scale plane....
Jan 03, 2018, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
One gallon of water weighs approximately 8 lbs; common denominations of liquid are quarts, pints, cups and half of a cup (a tea cup)... 16 oz of water occupies the volume of a pint and constitutes one pound of weight. And for some reason somebody decided they needed to make the lowest whole denomination the weight/volume of 2 tablespoons of water.

Yeah, and don't forget to weigh your airplanes in sticks of butter!!!

Andy
Jan 03, 2018, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira nz
yeah, capital m would mean it's megameters and he's improperly capitalized the meter. And if you've got a 1200 megameter wing i think you're going to need a special permit for a super giant scale plane....
lol
Jan 03, 2018, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat

Here in Canada 1 gallon weighs about 10 lbs..... Whats' with that and oh, 1gallon of water equals 4.545 litres. Now that last one makes sense doesn't it and easy to remember to. My years total more than 60 and I still figure my fuel mileage in miles/gallon and believe I always will. Years & years ago when I was in the construction industry we were told plywood sheets switching to metric was imminent. Hasn't happened yet and house sizes are still quoted in sq. feet. That takes care of the confusion. Everybody have a Happy New Year!
Jan 03, 2018, 09:20 PM
AMA 537620
Yeah not that imperial gallons are any worse than US gallons, being 3.78L per gallon... though maybe it is slightly better since you can then crudely break that down into 5 units of 750 ml. A "fifth" of Vodka sounds a little better than a "sixth" of Vodka.
Latest blog entry: Ready for test flight
Jan 03, 2018, 11:42 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
US national standards bureau recommends mL, internationally ml and mL are acceptable though ml is frequently preferred to avoid confusion with m1. Not sure when m1 would be used though...
M1s were commonly issued to GIs before the introduction of the M16.

- Roger

Quick Reply