WHY is all this crap in MM??? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 02, 2018, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr
Furlongs/fortnight. If it was good enough for great grandpa, it's good enough for us.

If God had ment us to use a measurement system based on powers of ten, he would have given us ten fingers.

Reunite Pangea!

- Roger

PS You think metric lengths and weights are disruptive? Wait until they want us to use metric time - 100 seconds/minute, 100 minutes/hour, 10 hours/day.
Why any Brit or German would use a system based on the distance through Paris is what I can't fathom!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 08:59 AM
Easy: both groups really enjoy going through Paris, the Brits on weekends, the Germans en masse several times I think
Jan 02, 2018, 09:07 AM
I guess you got it, Lee.

Andy
Jan 02, 2018, 11:47 AM
It could be worse, China, like the US had/has its own local units of length like fen, cun and chi. Fortunately they chose to mark them in a more modern way that (nearly ) everyone can understand.
Jan 02, 2018, 12:10 PM
gotta hand it to the Chinese

(whoops .... guess we already have)
Jan 02, 2018, 12:16 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Anyone remember when the US had a metrification program? Kids were to be taught it in school. Signage was dual dimensioned. Don't remember what happened to it, but we probably had an election. What one side likes the other side by definition hates -- even if it doesn't.
Jan 02, 2018, 12:17 PM
Oddly.. I thought that even N American car makers switched to Metric .. Years.. ago.
And that only building/construction and aviation industries build in Imperial (or at least the 'murican version ) measurements
Jan 02, 2018, 12:38 PM
When I was in high school, (70s) the only thing we ever worked with in science classes was metric, and allegedly the US was all going to be metric "soon". Wikipedia says: "The Metric Conversion Act is an Act of Congress that U.S. President Gerald Ford signed into law on December 23, 1975.[1] It declared the metric system "the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce", but permitted the use of United States customary units in all activities."
Jan 02, 2018, 12:41 PM
Gravity is patient............
Honestly metric really is a lot better. I grew up with imperial, but as an engineer have to use all sorts of unit systems at my job and metric is easily the best. Once you get used to it it's quite a bit easier to deal with.
Jan 02, 2018, 12:43 PM
Freedom Isn't Free

mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101
Seriously??
Welcome to the World Wide Web!!
There are 195 countries on earth.
And only 3 still use the Imperial system.
It not alway about America on the www.

LURCH
What are the three countries?
Jan 02, 2018, 01:02 PM
I use both all the time. No problems.

Andy
Jan 02, 2018, 01:08 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Me too, but I'm an engineer -- I have to. I do some real bastard things like evaluating the weight of materials in grams per running foot. But it only has to make sense to me.
Jan 02, 2018, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
The op has strange fecal matter.
Jan 02, 2018, 01:22 PM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warningshot
What are the three countries?
Liberia, Myanmar And The United States of America!!

LURCH
Jan 02, 2018, 01:25 PM
slats move, slots don't
taz answered.

Quick Reply