Jan 02, 2018, 12:23 AM
Discussion

WHY is all this crap in MM???

Did I move to Europe? Length, wing span?........................WT heck?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 12:43 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Divide by 25.4?
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Jan 02, 2018, 12:44 AM
Maybe because most of it is made in china which uses metric.
Jan 02, 2018, 01:09 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner321
Seriously??
Welcome to the World Wide Web!!
There are 195 countries on earth.
And only 3 still use the Imperial system.
It not alway about America on the www.

LURCH
Jan 02, 2018, 04:57 AM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101
Seriously??
Welcome to the World Wide Web!!
There are 195 countries on earth.
And only 3 still use the Imperial system.
It not alway about America on the www.

LURCH
well said
I can use both but metric is definitely the most logical one, I'm glad this is what the majority of the planet uses.
Ronaldo
Jan 02, 2018, 05:00 AM
In Germany they measure gas mileage by how many liters of fuel you need to drive 100 km. In the States, it’s how many miles you can drive per gallon. Try converting that in your head quickly…
Jan 02, 2018, 05:41 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner321
Do like me , install a converter on your widgets page.
Jan 02, 2018, 05:50 AM
As an American physicist I have ALWAYS used the metric system. It is much simpler and easier to use and calculate with than the antique outdated British system which is no longer used even in Britain/UK

USA has always resisted "proper" education and used to rely instead on down-to-earth practical creative tinkering invention, necessitated by living on remote farms.

The USA has drastically changed, the small farm largely gone and we are left with mostly improperly "educated" citizens being spoon-fed things made by others in China.

Using one's OWN brain ain't a bad thing .... and using metric makes that use EASIER for most things

But please enjoy the peace and comfort of your iPhone & Google
Jan 02, 2018, 05:52 AM
It's a right idiotic jumble over here. Most things are metric but we still use mph, sell beer in pints, flying height in feet, wind speed in knots. They just need to go fully metric and get on with it.
Jan 02, 2018, 05:55 AM
When folks point out illogical things in life, I usually just ask them "How long have you been living on this planet?"
Jan 02, 2018, 06:06 AM
b.t.w., they use millimeters instead of meters because they want you to think it is larger, "more for your money"

i.e., 1,100 mm seems bigger to unthinking consumers than 1.1m (ca, 39"/m, so 1.1m x 39"/m = 43" or 3ft 7in)

1100mm looks a LOT bigger
Jan 02, 2018, 07:29 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Furlongs/fortnight. If it was good enough for great grandpa, it's good enough for us.

If God had ment us to use a measurement system based on powers of ten, he would have given us ten fingers.

Reunite Pangea!

- Roger

PS You think metric lengths and weights are disruptive? Wait until they want us to use metric time - 100 seconds/minute, 100 minutes/hour, 10 hours/day.
Jan 02, 2018, 07:33 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey
It's a right idiotic jumble over here. Most things are metric but we still use mph, sell beer in pints, flying height in feet, wind speed in knots. They just need to go fully metric and get on with it.
You thing that's schizophrenic? The "standard" model rocket motor is 18mm in diameter, by 2 1/4 inches in length.

- Roger
Jan 02, 2018, 08:15 AM
Like other have said, it's because it's better?

Bu seriously, putting wingspans in mm is silly, should be in m or cm.

Whenever I go the the U.S.A I find the speed limit signs funny. It does not say ie, 65 miles per hour, but just 65. So maybe it's 65 miles per second? I've always been taught to NEVER forget the unit.
Jan 02, 2018, 08:20 AM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey
It's like working on a GM vehicle. 10mm bolts as far as the eye can see and then bam! 1/2" bolt right smack in the middle of your project. First you try a 13mm then a 12mm thinking they can't possibly be using both systems.... Then you have to go get the other tool box.
Latest blog entry: Ready for test flight

Quick Reply