Dec 22, 2018, 08:48 PM
what makes that thing go
Wow, that's pretty windy for Kiona Ridge!

The last thing I want to see when flying in those high of winds is a wall of tumbleweeds heading my way, 8 to 10 years back while flying at the old Kiona site I found myself standing more than knee deep in tumbleweeds that blew up the hill all at once, it scared the crap out of me.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2018, 05:09 AM
Fly? Maybe some day...
SASS Christmas Party Goes Off The Rails
(at least some of which will be of interest to the handlaunch crowd)

Well, actually, there weren't any rails to go off. (I couldn't come up with a catchy subject line.) But we all had a good time, and that's what counts. We went to Randy's for the atmosphere (implied statement goes here), and our group of 22 SASS members, spouses, and hangers-on kept 1 waitresses busy serving burgers, brews, and whatnot for a couple of hours.

Our business meeting was short and sweet. Outgoing president Tim Pierson gave us a rundown on the field situation for 2019, the main points being:
  • CF would like us out of our current location (but that's not news). They will let us lease a portion of the south field. But: Vulcan (yeah, Paul Allen's Vulcan) has leased some of the south field plus office space for drone testing (with the goal of fending off elephant poachers in Africa). At this point, we have no idea how we can coexist with them. We have requested a meeting with them to talk things over, but CF (Vulcan, too?) says it's too early for a meeting because Vulcan isn't sure how it's going to be making use of the space, and whether they will be there only during the week or also on weekends. So when will we meet with them? We don't know. Our current plans are to continue flying where we've flown for the past 10 years.
  • Also, the Ew Dub students, as they were last year, will be testing autonomoose flying machines. More chance for conflict on the south field.
  • Then there's the Vaness farm, up the West Snoqualmie Valley Road just below the Snohomish County Line. We met with Duane Vaness, whose main concern, of course, is maintaining income. Farmers have it rough. He asked for $5000/year for ten acres of mowed field (plus access to surrounding areas to retrieve downed planes), and another $3000-5000 for maintenance of the lane back to the field and parking areas (I think that's annually also). Seeing as how our current lease is for $3333/year, we thought that was rather steep, and (not yet willing to throw out the baby) were rather noncommital in our response.
  • Tim and I met with several representatives of King County Agriculture, to whom Parks has passed the problem of dealing with us. They were (as far as we could tell) quite open and above-board with us; it was a good meeting. They were willing to suggest places in King County where we might find a flying site (e.g., the Muckleshoot reservation southeast of Auburn, where a lot of King County rules involving agricultural land do not apply). But they made clear that, aside from that location, the type of land we would find most desirable would probably fall under KC's agricultural restrictions. Which was why they also suggested a potential location just across the line into Snohomish County: a former dairy farm. They said that SnoCo has a lot fewer restrictions on agricultural land use. We should at least check it out...
  • Elections were skipped because we had five candidates for five positions. Tim's out and Chris Sutton-Preston is our new president. All other board positions remain the same.

Tim got a big round of applause for all the hard work he has been doing on the field issue.

And Philip Patten led us in a toast to Bill and Bunny Kuhlman, who, after many years publishing RC Soaring Digest, have decided to retire from that venture. We shall miss reading the product of their long hours of work.

So much for business. On to the entirely-free-no-ticket-sales raffle, with Laura Wood doing the honor of drawing the winning tickets.

Rick Jay took home the EFlight Apprentice S that was found in the jungle south of 60 Acres. SASS spent $25 refurbishing it and tuning it up, and it came guaranteed to fly (as long as he puts a new battery into it).
Joseph Dougherty (DLG pilot; non-member) won the electrified Aspire woody that was found in the jungle.
Steve Allmaras won the $100 gift card from Thomas Lee and Armsoar Composites.
Tim Pierson won the UMX Radian.
Sandie Pugh won one of the Vapors.
Lawrence Doan won the other one. Or was it Burton Alesse?
Sherman Knight won the year's paid SASS membership. But, seeing as how he's a life member of SASS, he gracefully declined; and on the second drawing, Paul Measel claimed it.
Two $25 gift cards to Hobby Town were won by Paul Measel and Jim Pugh.
Two $25 gift cards to Galaxy Hobby went to the only father-and-son team present. There were no rigged-raffle challenges.
In consideration of SASS's $500 donation, Team F3K 2017 sent us custom-printed-and-embroidered items: a jersey, a polo shirt, a t-shirt, and a hat. Rick Jay took the hat, and I can't remember who got the rest. All the items were sized XL, so whoever took them will have to start eating double burgers at the contests next year.
And everyone got to rummage through the left-overs from the Bob Cook auction.

So ended the evening.

You can view photos of the festivities here.

Somnolently submitted,

Bret Sutton
Dec 24, 2018, 06:08 PM
what makes that thing go
Happy holidays gang!!! Looking forward to next year.

Got a little airtime in today, the first time since the September 2 day.
Dec 25, 2018, 02:55 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck

Merry Christmas everyone

To my R/C brothers and sisters all around the globe reading this thread - Merry Christmas and happy new year. 2018 was amazing in part because of the great community you have helped to create. I am so looking forward to 2019
Dec 25, 2018, 03:14 PM
Merry Christmas everyone!! And Congratulations Steve Allmaras!!

Got my models... arrived yesterday. Starting to build next season's planes now
Dec 25, 2018, 03:41 PM
iVoid Warranties
Merry Christmas! May there be servos, and batteries in your stockings! Maybe an airplane if you were good this year...
Dec 26, 2018, 02:21 AM
Merry Christmas!
Dec 31, 2018, 06:14 PM
Happy New Year. Hoping to have good enough balance to launch my own airplanes in 2019. I was consistently getting 50' launches last year. Hoping for 100'+ this coming year.

My quiver for 2019 is two CX-5's, one BAMF and one Vortex3. The second X-5 is waiting for Rollo to deliver the servo trays and ballast kit when he comes to fly with us in March.

Anyone looking for a X-4 TD D-Box? You might be able to talk me into a sweet deal rather than have it collect dust.
Dec 31, 2018, 08:25 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP

Happy New Year PNWDLG'ers

A few of us braved the cold this morning. Finally about 1:00 the sun broke thru and it was darn right pleasant! Light wind and very generous lift. At one point you could literally "see" thermals lifting off the field.

Turning the page, there will be a "2019" thread starting tomorrow.

Lots of thermals to all in 2019.

Rj
Jan 01, 2019, 12:43 AM
plays with toy planes
That was a great way to close out the year. Happy New Year everybody.
Jan 01, 2019, 03:18 AM
iVoid Warranties
Hello from 2019!
Jan 01, 2019, 03:57 AM
Hello there!
Jan 01, 2019, 12:38 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
this is what I started for 2019 -
Jan 01, 2019, 12:48 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
2019 thread started - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Contests-2019