This thread is privately moderated by AILERON8, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 08, 2018, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
That’s a good way to think of it.

I was thinking of perhaps integrating the PID analyzer into the next PQD, but now I’m thinking a simple disclaimer should suffice. “Results are based on a tuned quad” Do you think that’s a good approach? Then again, perhaps having the tool adapt to folks logs would be a nice feature. Right now I’m focused on finishing the other features first, but perhaps later if it adds value.
Last edited by AILERON8; Jun 08, 2018 at 04:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2018, 07:37 PM
Thread OP

I promise I havenít dropped PQD v2

Iíve been working on the tool an hour here and there, but itís been a struggle to find the time to fly, let alone work on this project. However I finally have a week of vacation coming up to dedicate. Finally!
Jul 13, 2018, 01:53 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Good news Aileron8! I have a feeling one week is too short, but it's still good news
Jul 13, 2018, 06:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444
Good news Aileron8! I have a feeling one week is too short, but it's still good news
Vacations are always too short. haha
Jul 22, 2018, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
So it doesn't look like I'll be getting a vacation for another month, but I'm still working on the tool, because I do believe folks could get some use out of this thing if it were easier to use. So that's what I'm focusing on, simplicity. I have a mountain of motor/prop data that can be used to create powerful results when modeled properly. PQD 2.0 is being constructed as follows:

All static & dynamic calculations, plots, tables, and simulations are on a single page for ease of use and expediency. Outside the main form users can add/remove frames, batteries, motors, props, thrust data, and misc. data in tabbed forms similar to previous versions, but without the odd naming conventions or complexity since each table will be independent and automatically grouped together on the main user form.

Baseline dynamic modeling
  1. User chooses frame.
  2. User chooses Motor from searchable dropdown list. (>100 motors pre-loaded)
  3. User chooses Prop from searchable dropdown list. The prop list is dynamic and updates based upon the motor chosen in previous step. (>50 props pre-loaded)
  4. User chooses Battery from searchable dropdown list. (>50 LiPo's pre-loaded)
  5. User presses Calculate to generate charts and update dynamic fields, tables, and charts. (Pre-calcuated static fields such as maximum theoretical velocity and maximum angle are visible before calculating dynamics)

Sandbox features
  1. After the dynamics for a quad have been calculated the user can then change a Variable from a dropdown list. (See list of adjustable variables below)
  2. Only one variable may be chosen at a time, but after updating the dynamic baseline the user can then change another variable or adjust the previous one that was calculated. So there's no limit to how many adjustments can be made, but the accuracy of the model will drop accordingly. (Estimated Accuracy will be displayed in user form)

List of adjustable variables in sandbox
  • Motor Kv
  • Prop Pitch
  • Prop Diameter
  • Prop Blade Count
  • Motor Stator Height
  • Motor Stator Width
  • Motor Weight
  • LiPo Cell Count

In an effort to get these updates made sooner than later I'm removing the quad dynamics as a function of throttle position features with hopes to reinstall them later when I have the time to enter 4X more static motor/prop data into the tool. However, I believe the added simplicity, speed, available data, and new features will make 2.0 much more practical than before.

Quick Reply