Scratch Built "Mini Drak" 32" WS - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 02, 2018, 07:39 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanborrelly
Wow, excellent I love the Drak and the mini, great job...any plans for this beautiful model??
Plans!... Plans!?.... I don't need no stinkin' Plans!!!!

Seriously, I'm just building off a few pictures I got online, I'm scaling a few rough dimensions down to a 32" wingspan? I've built over a dozen planes this way, they all flew!! only one didn't fly well, and I coulda got her going if I spent a little more time on the proper CG! An old timer once told me "If it looks like it'll fly, It'll Fly", So I concentrate on making them Look like they will fly!!..... We'll See???? Glad you are following!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 09:39 AM
Reap the wild wind
Watching with interest Bill and should be better than my Micro scratch build with it's KFm wing
Depron Micro Drak maiden flight (3 min 15 sec)

Andy
Jan 02, 2018, 10:32 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Andy, I was real close to making a kF wing for mine!! Nice flying model!! I'd be happy if mine flew like that!! Once again it seems like we are flying the same airplanes!!! Can you tell me the WS , and power set up you are using in your model? I'm trying to decide now?? in fact if anybody has a power recommendation for my 32" WS version I'd like to hear it? Ideally spin a 5,6, or 7" prop, and run a 3S or 4S battery? (I have a 30A ESC I'm planning on using)! don't know the weight yet but less than 2 lbs?
Jan 02, 2018, 01:00 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

Wing glued!! test fit in Fuselage!!

Big step today!! Finished gluing the wing, happy with the way it came out! Very stiff, and light!! Seems flat, and true!! I test fitted it into the EPP foam fuselage! the Fuselage needs lots of work yet, with stiffening flats, and bulkheads, motor mount, hatch lid, etc. I'll trim the profile down a bit more once everything is glued to the wing, but will leave plenty of headroom for electronics, FPV gear, and 4S battery!! Starting to look like a "Drak"!!

Here are a few pics!
Jan 02, 2018, 01:13 PM
skumgummi dave
That's coming along very well!

Dave-
Jan 02, 2018, 01:25 PM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee
Andy, I was real close to making a kF wing for mine!! Nice flying model!! I'd be happy if mine flew like that!! Once again it seems like we are flying the same airplanes!!! Can you tell me the WS , and power set up you are using in your model? I'm trying to decide now?? in fact if anybody has a power recommendation for my 32" WS version I'd like to hear it? Ideally spin a 5,6, or 7" prop, and run a 3S or 4S battery? (I have a 30A ESC I'm planning on using)! don't know the weight yet but less than 2 lbs?
Thanks Bill. Here's a link to my first post over on the KFm forum
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=9090
The Blue Wonder 3000kv gave it plently of get up and go on 3s. I knew it would as it powers my HK Parkjet and scratch built flying wings really well
Parkjet on 3000kv Blue Wonder motor (4 min 15 sec)

Andy
Jan 03, 2018, 09:55 AM
Foam is my friend!!!

Fuselage strengthening, and Elevon shape

Hi All,
I added a thickness of foam ahead of the wing inside the forward section of the fuselage, and inserted some CF flat stock, on top of this I added a lite ply battery tray, These two additions serve to strengthen, and stiffen the front end of the fuselage , I'll still add some foam bulkheads along the inside of the fuse once I figure out where all the electronics will go!

I also made a "notional" Elevon out of balsa, 1" tapering up to 1.5" and approximately 14" long should give me enough control authority!?

I need to go to the HS and get some more balsa, and control horns!!

Here are a few more pics!!
Jan 03, 2018, 10:20 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Always enjoy seeing planks. I have never built a drake but have built both straight leading edge slight forward swept and rearward swept wings. What I have noticed is how little the plane flies on edge My RS2)( without having a controllable rudder. It seems like the more rearward sweep really makes them dive when turning sharp.

I have had the opportunity to build other forward swept wings but I have left the leading edge straight for better strength and lighter wing loading.

I think a big part of the nice handling that a forward swept wing comes from the pronounced forward swept trailing edge and control surfaces.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:00 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Always enjoy seeing planks. I have never built a drake but have built both straight leading edge slight forward swept and rearward swept wings. What I have noticed is how little the plane flies on edge My RS2)( without having a controllable rudder. It seems like the more rearward sweep really makes them dive when turning sharp.

I have had the opportunity to build other forward swept wings but I have left the leading edge straight for better strength and lighter wing loading.

I think a big part of the nice handling that a forward swept wing comes from the pronounced forward swept trailing edge and control surfaces.
From what I've read the Forward sweep of both the leading, and trailing edge really makes the wing less prone to tip stall, (mine only has about 1" of forward sweep!) As I fly these planes FPV, sometimes I'm focused on the camera image, and not so much on my airspeed, or bank angles, this has led to some tip stalls on my wings! I have a "Dart" and she seems very forgiving, so I wanted to build a "Drak" once I did a "test build" of a first swept wing (photo's above) for another plane!

I appreciate your feedback, and am glad you're following the build!
Jan 03, 2018, 11:51 AM
Your dart is similar to the RS2 although my plane has a tractor motor.

here it is after I put on a 3D printed plastic shell. The motor is a 95 gram 1000kv motor being powered by a 1600 4s battery. Turns a 9" folding prop. It is a spirited flier and will climb right out of sight in 3 seconds at full throttle.

My plank FPV plane is a simple plank. 48" wing with a 250 gram tractor motor, straight leading edge, swept forward trailing edge. I have the camera mounted angled downward under the nose under the prop arc.

But hey this thread is about your drake or is it drak (dragon).
Jan 03, 2018, 12:02 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Hey "Basic". the RS2 looks cool (Very "Drak" like),
Jan 04, 2018, 09:12 AM
Foam is my friend!!!

Heading South!!!

Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be taking a short break from the "Drak" build!! The wife and I are heading to Florida for ten days (We have a Condo there)! It is down to the single digits temperature wise here where we live (Western New York State) with wind chills below zero!! and even though the temps won't be hot down in Florida we are looking forward to high 60's , low 70's while we are there!! I belong to a flying club down there (Largo Flying club), and have planes down at the condo, so I'll get some flying in!! See you when I get back mid month! when I'll resume sharing the "Drak" build with you!!
Jan 04, 2018, 09:25 AM
Sounds like it is winter. Nothing more.
Jan 04, 2018, 10:50 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Sounds like it is winter. Nothing more.
Oh Yeah, pretty typical for us this time of year!!
Jan 04, 2018, 02:36 PM
Have fun! I am off to and probably won't we back till early February, 2 youth camps, a wedding and several 14 hour trips are happening starting this morning so adios!

Quick Reply