Scratch Built "Mini Drak" 32" WS - RC Groups
Jan 01, 2018, 10:54 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Build Log

Scratch Built "Mini Drak" 32" WS

Hi All,

been flying, and building (Balsa and foam) for awhile!! Have recently gotten into fixed wing FPV and have bought and built a few planes for this purpose (S800 Sky Shadow, ZOHD Dart, VAS Banshee (scratch built), CTH Pelican), I've really liked the look and flying characteristics of the RiteWing "Drak", and Mini Drak" and may buy one at some point, but until then, and since it's the winter building season, I thought I'd give building my own a go!!

My plan is to do a small version (32" Wing Span), While not an exact copy, it will be recognizable as a "Drak" knock off. I'll use DTFB for the Swept "Armin" style wings, balsa for the elevons, and EPP foam for the fuselage.

I'll include lots of pictures, and videos of the build and first flights (including fails)

So with apologies to the original designers of this great model (Ritewing) and Team Legit, Here I go!! Glad you have an interest, and hope you subscribe, follow, and offer comments/critisiums as I progress!

...NewZee (Bill S.)
Last edited by NewZee; Jan 01, 2018 at 07:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2018, 10:59 AM
Foam is my friend!!!

Great Looks!

The fantastic looks (Swept wing, fins, ) is what first drew me to the Drak and Mini Drak! The great flying characteristics made me want to build one! I've built dozens of scratch builds, and plan to scale this bird down a bit with a 32" wing span!! the fuse will be approximately 19" long.
Jan 01, 2018, 11:08 AM
Foam is my friend!!!

Wing design, begining build!

I've recently built a swept forward "Armin" style wing, to be flown on a CTH Pelican, as a proximity FPV flyer! the wing performed really well, so It got me thinking about changing the shape a little and doing a "Drak" looking plane! I made a rough "pattern" for the half wing. It is 16" span, with a 9" cord at the root, and 5" at the tip, it has a 1" forward sweep, and will use a 5/16" dia wooden spar. here are a few pics of the wing build being started!
Last edited by NewZee; Jan 01, 2018 at 12:05 PM.
Jan 01, 2018, 11:27 AM
Foam is my friend!!!

My Other DTFB forward swept wing!

Built a 32" , 1' sweep wing from DTFB to fly on a CTH pelican (I wanted an "aileron" wing for proximity flying), it flew great, and gave me the idea to try a "Drak"!
Last edited by NewZee; Jan 01, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Jan 01, 2018, 03:16 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

Fuselage begins!

Started to build the fuselage, I'm using 6mm (3/8") EPP foam, I made some templates of a streamlined design, it will be long enough up front to find a balance at CG. I'll stiffen this box construction with some CF flat stock, and some light ply, and foam bulkheads!! It will have a long access hatch (much like the real Drak), along the topside to provide easy battery/electronics access! EC6000 glue works great on this foam! I'll paint and laminate the fuse later in the assembly process!
Here are a few pics!
Jan 01, 2018, 04:28 PM
Following with interest! So for an armin style wing that it's just straight board the leading edge should still be the folding edge? Is that right? I wanna build something similar
Jan 01, 2018, 04:45 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree
Following with interest! So for an armin style wing that it's just straight board the leading edge should still be the folding edge? Is that right? I wanna build something similar
Yes, I fold at the leading edge, but with a "Forward sweep" the flat piece of foam has to have a taper on each side so once it's folded it produces the sweep, and the sides are "square", I'll try and post some good pictures of the folding when I do that step tomorrow! Glad you are following!
Jan 01, 2018, 05:41 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Love the looks of the Draks, but the price for them are a little more than I want to spend. Gonna watch this build and eventually build my own.
Jan 01, 2018, 07:07 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Love the looks of the Draks, but the price for them are a little more than I want to spend. Gonna watch this build and eventually build my own.
that's exactly why I'm doing it!!! Glad you're watching!!
Jan 01, 2018, 07:18 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

Wing tape, fold, and spar!

As previously mentioned , I'm using a 5/16" dowel for a spar, I'll support the spar with some strips of DTFB. The placement of the spar is hard to describe, at the center it is back about 1.5" from the leading edge, but at the tips it's back 2.5" this is due to the 1" forward sweep!! (I didn't make any attempt to bend the spar) the spar supports are cut at "Angles" so that they more closely follow the leading edge whidh is swept forward. ! I've tried to take several pictures to illustrate how I did this? if you don't understand just ask and I'll try a better explanation!! the taping of the wing was straight forward I used Yellow on the top and clear/white on the bottom. also note the small slots that will accept a tab from the "fin" once I get that far!! A few more pics!
Jan 01, 2018, 07:41 PM
Good on you NewZee! This will be a notch above my one, with the full airfoil and all. Watching!
Jan 01, 2018, 09:13 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabiruAbe
Good on you NewZee! This will be a notch above my one, with the full airfoil and all. Watching!
Ha!...Yours looks great, and inspired me to give it a go!!
Jan 01, 2018, 10:12 PM
Looks nice. I'll be watching too. Another plane added to the build list.
Jan 01, 2018, 10:18 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike
Looks nice. I'll be watching too. Another plane added to the build list.
Welcome aboard!!!...Yeah I always liked the look of the "Drak"
Jan 02, 2018, 06:44 AM
Wow, excellent I love the Drak and the mini, great job...any plans for this beautiful model??

Quick Reply