This thread is privately moderated by 420TEE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 03, 2018, 07:24 AM
I have to agree with Jerome on this. I can always put on enough clothing to stay warm, but I can only take off just so much ( especially in public) to get cool, come August. Of course, I don't have to chop a hole to be able to put a boat inn the water either..ET TU Garboard?
Jan 03, 2018, 07:55 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Now that's cold!

Hot water thrown in -33°C cold air (0 min 45 sec)
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jan 03, 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Jan 03, 2018, 09:03 AM
That's excellent, Bob! I just sent that video to my brother who teaches chem/physics in HS in NJ, where they're complaining about our seasonal weather.

Andy
Jan 03, 2018, 10:03 AM
Here in Tucson it's going to be 24 degrees below 100. Still have problems making it to the pond.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:08 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Cold for us is relavent to what you be doing. In town it is in the upper 30's. But a couple miles outside in the county and near the border it is all frozen in ice for the last week. Moisture and freezing temps setup perfect storm for ice storm that still has power out in some areas. My place by the water--36 and clear.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:25 PM
Bob,
Very cool... no pun intended. Better than fireworks, safer and alot cheaper too!
Jan 03, 2018, 04:45 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thank you..thank you I'll be here all week
and-as Jimmy Buffett says, " I just gotta fly to St. Somewhere!"
Jan 03, 2018, 05:30 PM
Well there was snow in upper Florida today, almost all the way down to Gainsville, Fl.. Other than that the rest of us here in Florida had gusty winds up to 20 mph with rain. I rather have the snow at least most of time it is drier than the rain which can be bone chillin some times.

Also the heater in my vehicle barely works, let alone having to drive around with the door open.

Duane
Jan 03, 2018, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Thank you..thank you I'll be here all week
and-as Jimmy Buffett says, " I just gotta fly to St. Somewhere!"
the zoo is in Calgary Alberta.
Jan 04, 2018, 04:15 PM
Well just saw a news clip that said that Iguana's were falling out of trees near Miami, Fl, due to it being lower than 40 degrees.

Also all 737 aircraft at Tampa International airport had to use a small deicer on the aircraft so that the fuel tanks would thaw out, before they could be used for flights out of Tampa.

Duane
Last edited by Navy2000; Jan 04, 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Jan 04, 2018, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy2000
Well there was snow in upper Florida today, almost all the way down to Gainsville, Fl.. Other than that the rest of us here in Florida had gusty winds up to 20 mph with rain. I rather have the snow at least most of time it is drier than the rain which can be bone chillin some times.

Also the heater in my vehicle barely works, let alone having to drive around with the door open.

Duane
Sounds like a VW beetle I had. Spent many a trip to and from work in upstate NY with my hand out of the window with an ice scraper keeping a small hole open to see. Heat? Yeah, along with 300 HP behind me.
Jan 04, 2018, 09:33 PM
George Jure
Hi
Well here tonight with the windchill -40 deg. cel. At Niagara Falls, the falls partially froze.
George
Jan 05, 2018, 05:56 AM
I had to cancel sailing tomorrow. Our dam is on a rural property in the Mount Lofty Ranges. Predicted temperature 41 degrees C = 106 degrees F. The wind isn't going to be nice either.
http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/warnings/fire.shtml
Fire Weather Warning

IDS20290
Fire Weather Warning
for the North West Pastoral, North East Pastoral, West Coast, Eastern Eyre Peninsula, Lower Eyre Peninsula, Flinders, Mid North, Mount Lofty Ranges, Adelaide Metropolitan, Yorke Peninsula, Kangaroo Island, Riverland, Murraylands, Upper South East and Lower South East forecast districts
Issued at 4:38 pm CDT on Friday 5 January 2018.
Weather Situation
Hot to very hot, dry and windy with northwesterly winds 30 to 50 km/h ahead of a squally southwest to southerly change moving across the State during the day. Wind speeds increasing to 40 to 60 km/h with gusts around 70 to 90 km/h with and immediately following the change, especially in the afternoon and early evening. Possible thunderstorms in the far northeast. This warning affects all districts.
For Saturday 6 January:

Catastrophic Fire Danger is forecast for the following forecast districts:

Mount Lofty Ranges, Upper South East and Lower South East

What is this thing, SNOW, of which you speak?
Jan 05, 2018, 10:40 AM
The Ohio River is frozen over. The chunks of ice close to shore i could pick up were about 3-4 inches thicks. A southbound tow was still moving through it well but the sound of the ice against empty steel barges was loud.

Quick Reply