Neo 25 GP - A Modern Classic Pattern - RC Groups
Dec 31, 2017, 11:40 PM
Build Log

Neo 25 GP - A Modern Classic Pattern

We're seeing a renewed interest in glow power, and the bug has bitten me too. I called up my brother and asked him to send me the OS .20 FP that we used as kids, and that got me looking on ebay where I found a .25 FP cheap. Two engines means two planes - this is the first one of them.

The Neo design is something that I came up with several years ago that borrows elements from three Classic Pattern planes - the Tiporare, the Dirty Birdy, and the Gulfstream. I've designed it for scavenged UMX parts (180 size), for 280 size, for a Saito 100 (70" span), and now at 420 square inches for the 25. My friend Michael Ramsey is planning on concurrently building one for electric power, and he'll cover that.

Construction begins by splicing the fuselage sides together - I only use 36" balsa. The top edge is intentionally straight to allow use of a straightedge to join them true.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2018, 12:03 AM
Awesome seeing smaller planes still using glow!!!
Jan 01, 2018, 12:15 AM
I was surprised at how few there are available! When I was a kid you could get Fox, Enya, OS, and so on. Now those guys are only available from ebay at this size (which has always been my favorite, even with electrics). Parts? Nothing new. It's really sad.

Andy
Jan 01, 2018, 04:41 AM
Yes, OS has stopped making anything below .46 I think, but Enya are still around, making down to .09 sized engines. The stock has been low the last few years but you can try with "Shtterman" on ebay, he has all the parts as well.

MP Jet still makes some of their excellent .061 engines, ballbearing, twin needle RC carb, little gems in both glow and diesel versions.

Then there is the ASP/SC/Magnum engines available down to .12 engines. All parts are available from justengines.co.uk
Jan 01, 2018, 08:53 AM
Norvel also makes a whole line of small r.c and control line engines starting at .061. However there's hardly anyplanes to put them in. Sig still makes the hummer and control line models. Keep 1/2a alive.
Jan 01, 2018, 02:24 PM
The top and bottom edges of the fuselage sides get 3/16" sq strips, which also need to be spliced. I put the splice about 34" ahead of the tail. There are also vertical strips on the fuse sides to stiffen them.

While that was drying I framed up the tail. These are 1/8" sheet, and will be sheeted for strength.

Speaking of strength, all the laminated ply parts were glued together and clamped. I glued them up now to make sure they are ready when I need them.

Andy
Jan 01, 2018, 05:41 PM
After the fin and stab were dry, I sanded the top side smooth and then added 1/16" sheeting on one side, clamping it tightly to make sure it stayed flat. I then sanded the other side and added the other side, again clamping it for flatness.

The stab is done pretty much the same way, except instead of clamps I have it sandwiched between sheets of light ply with a big weight on top.

What a great day for modeling - too cold to do anything outside.

Happy New Year, guys.

Andy
Jan 01, 2018, 06:48 PM
AMA 537620
Awesome. I always liked the .20 size planes but they were the first casualty to brushless motors... I'd say interest in that size was already on life support 20 years ago. I'm looking to put my first engine (25FP) back in an Aerostar 20 later this year... this time with mini servos and a LiFe pack.
Jan 01, 2018, 07:17 PM
My first engine was an 0.25FP. I now have 3 of them. One is in my RCM VM1W, one is slated for an Ace Super Pacer and the third ??.

Great engines and great, fun sized airframes.

Tom K
Jan 01, 2018, 07:32 PM
I think I see a Neo 25 in your future!

Andy
Jan 02, 2018, 07:53 AM
Possibly
Jan 02, 2018, 09:29 AM
I'll be in your area in 2 weeks...

Andy
Jan 02, 2018, 01:47 PM
What brings you so far East?
Jan 02, 2018, 02:01 PM
I grew up just north of Phillipsburg NJ and most of my family is still in the area. My daughter goes to college up near the Tappan Zee bridge and I need to bring her back to school then. It's just a quick trip out and back, not much socializing, but if you wanted one we could arrange a meeting place, like at Roadside America.

Andy
Jan 02, 2018, 07:39 PM
I'd love one, but I'm not sure when I'd get around to building it. I guess could move it up in front of the Supper Pacer that I got for Christmas....

Interesting place, Roadside America. I had never heard of it until now. I know roughly where it is because I'm a member of Golden Age Aviation in Bethel, PA.

Tom K

Quick Reply