Dec 31, 2017, 06:59 PM
Discussion

Range check failure

A friend gave me an electric ducted fan flying wing. The battery /receiver compartment is not very spacious so the only RX I had that would fit is a 6 channel HK Orange DSM2 with 2 small antennae (no provision for sat RX). Yesterday when I tried to do a range check, it failed. The wing was sitting on the ground. This morning I had my friend hold the wing about 4 feet off the ground as I did the range check and all went well. I guess I'm safe? I use a Spektrum DX8 (older).
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2017, 09:37 PM
dith the hk dsm2 reciever and use something a bit better, even a lemon rx. Any half decent park fly reciever should easily do 500m which is more than enough range.

I dont trust orange recievres..
Jan 03, 2018, 10:01 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Proximity to the ground can reduce your signal strength. My personal flying field has but 100 yards of flat and any further than that will mean that I have earth between the transmitter and receiver during a range test. I range test all of my receivers and generally they are good to about 120 yards some of my more expensive receivers are good for about 150 yards. That said I don't actually fly my airplanes with the ground between me and the plane.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Proximity to the ground can reduce your signal strength. My personal flying field has but 100 yards of flat and any further than that will mean that I have earth between the transmitter and receiver during a range test. I range test all of my receivers and generally they are good to about 120 yards some of my more expensive receivers are good for about 150 yards. That said I don't actually fly my airplanes with the ground between me and the plane.
I imagine you're range testing at full power to get 120 - 150 yards?
Jan 03, 2018, 11:37 AM
Yes Crasher, I only fly at this field and do fly with different transmitters. Flysky, Spektrum and Futaba. I want them as comparable as possible.

In no way am I saying that the the radios only have a 120 yards of range as my test condition is fairly severe. I am guessing that I have have flown up to 900 feet away without problems although one time I lost signal on a flysky with a single antenna and had put the receiver in the back of the fuselage which was pointed toward the back of the plane. I was 5-600 feet away and as I turned back the battery blocked the line of sight of the antenna. It would circle around until the antenna would pick up and do the same thing. Had I been thinking I would have flown more parallel and tacked it back.

Since then I always mount the antennas so that they are at approximately 45 angle to vertical as that seems to give the most broad reception. and use receivers with two antennaed receivers for flights that I intend to fly longer range.
Jan 03, 2018, 12:14 PM
A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to fly at an old airfield. I got my Trex 700 helicopter about 300 yards out no problem. Visibility and orientation is the limiting factor, especially with a pod and boom style helicopter. I use a Spektrum DX8 (silver) and two Spektrum DSMX satellite RX's on the Ikon flybarless unit. Realitically, shouldn't the range be at least 3 times that if there is direct line of sight and no obtructions ? How do the drone guys manage to fly their drones a few miles out? Aren't they limited to the same RF output as other 2.4 gig TX's?
Jan 03, 2018, 01:14 PM
I think a lot of them fly with higher power rigs on Ham bands . Others fly with autonomous controls that direct them via GPS and barometric pressure. Not sure though.

Quick Reply