Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 31, 2017, 03:28 PM
Question

DPL8: Can I make a preset for constant voltage?

I'm sometimes in a situation where I'd really like to have my DPL8 output a constant 12V to run some gear, feeding it maybe 10A (most likely less than 5A) for a few hours. My DPL8 is setup in a Pelican-type box with it's 48VDC power supply, so I don't have a 12VDC readily available.

I know this isn't what the DPL8 was designed for, but Is this possible? What would I need in a preset to make this work? While I'm in this fixed voltage preset, can I set a cap on the current?
Last edited by kirby_; Dec 31, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2018, 10:12 AM
The PL8 is not designed to be a power supply. 12v power supplies are a plentiful these days. Determine how much current you really need a pickup a supply. Lots of 12v/5A bricks on eBay. The other option would be use a DC-DC converter to go from 48v to 12v and run it off your existing power supply. Lots of those on eBay and Amazon.
Jan 01, 2018, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
The PL8 is not designed to be a power supply. 12v power supplies are a plentiful these days. Determine how much current you really need a pickup a supply. Lots of 12v/5A bricks on eBay. The other option would be use a DC-DC converter to go from 48v to 12v and run it off your existing power supply. Lots of those on eBay and Amazon.
Thanks, I figured this was the answer I would get, but hoped it was different. The way my setup is configured right now, there isn't room to add a 12V step down. I'm planning to move it to a larger case eventually, I guess I'll add that then. The point of using The DPL8 would be it is less thing to carry and plug in.

Quick Reply