Feb 12, 2018, 12:27 PM
Lucas
Hi David,

Your new build looks really good, as expected. Did you cast the bumper from rubber, or shape it out of foam? Thanks for keeping RCGroups interesting!

Luke
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2018, 03:59 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Luke

The bumper is cut from a foam sandal just like last years boat. RR II, I found a sandal with black and red. Its quite easy to sand and shape.
Feb 13, 2018, 01:28 AM
Never tried this personally ...

But ... have heard that if you freeze the foam rubber ( i.e. like the material used in flip-flops ) ... it supposedly makes it easier to sand and form into desired bumper shape(s)

UPDATE 2-13-18
Idea was to freeze the foam bumper AND SHAPE IT BEFORE attaching to hull / bow ... so as not needing to freeze entire hull
Last edited by slo.ca6; Feb 13, 2018 at 09:44 PM.
Feb 13, 2018, 11:39 AM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Nice idea but you would have to put the whole boat in the freezer. It took me all of 20 minutes to sand the bumper to shape and I even used 400 wet dry to get a somewhat nicer finish on it.
Feb 13, 2018, 05:30 PM
scb28
David,

Did you sail RR3 at Bowman Bay last Sunday? The results didn't show what hull. Looks like you did pretty well , whatever you were sailing.

scb28
Feb 13, 2018, 09:41 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Yes I and RR II were there. I would have done much better if I were able to figure out left from right. The boat tripped many times in the strong gusts but also did well going down wind once it got moving. The nose was wave piercing and often it stayed under for long periods when going up wind. Where it falters is when she stops or slows after a tack in choppy waters. The boat hobby horses and the front slaps the waves and just stops. It limits the acceleration potential in choppy water by a lot. In smooth water she is much better.
Last edited by davidjensen; Mar 08, 2018 at 11:37 AM.
Feb 22, 2018, 11:26 AM
Will fly for food
Thread OP

Usa 875

She has a number and I only wish it snowed more to give a nicer white background. Well Dave C. I agree, white is right (at least from 10' away). Building a new rig with a French mast and last years sails and its looing like this rig may be under 240g. Its surprising how long it takes to rig a rig especially when its a new boat with its own needs. I have documented the weight of all the parts going into the new A-Rig and will post it soon after I get a final weight of the A-rig.
Feb 23, 2018, 04:27 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP

98% complete

I completed the A rig last night and am pleased to say it is 238g. I am not a fan of the French mast. It is a flippin noodle and bends in all kinds of ways and even with 18mm of prebend the forestay tension is minimal. Good for a light air rig but we will see. The PDF below has all the numbers I got after completing this rig. The red numbers need to be verified. Our seasons opener is March 10th and I believe this will be just like all of the other airplane builds I've done. I trim them out during the competition
Feb 28, 2018, 07:14 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP

Maiden voyage

Took the day off from work and went sailing. Last night I looked at the wind reports for today and quickly rigged the B rig from RR II to RR III. Drove up to Rosario beach and it was howling. Nothing like throwing your hard work into a the (20 knot) wind and see how it survives. No racing but was sailing with a BritPOP and an Alternative. The waves were good sized and the wind kept building until it chased us from the water. The rescue boat would be worthless trying to rescue anything once the wind gets past 25. She sailed well and neutral although the b rig is old and needs updating. She has a unique bow wave that may be good or not, I don’t know. She had a little water inside but she took a pounding tripping many times. The Brit was able to keep its nose up going down wind more of the time. That’s not to say RR III was bad down wind but the narrow entry bow acts like a narrow entry bow. The bow was good at piercing thru waves especially when she was moving well. Just got a new set of sailetc sails to rig on her for next weekends season opener.
Mar 01, 2018, 01:13 PM
Flying without a licence
That's looking really good David. Here are a couple of pic's of Joio's bow wave
Mar 01, 2018, 01:18 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Is there a science in reading the bow wave?

In FWAL's pictures, especially the fourth one, it looks to be doing exactly what I think a sailboats bow should be doing, moving the water to the side so it can go straight ahead. It looks like a clean cut through the water.
BP
Mar 01, 2018, 04:33 PM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
BP Let me know if you can decipher these bow wave signatures.
Mar 01, 2018, 11:07 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
I am no expert in sailboats!
But the water is too clean to see it!
We get to sail in brown water, or kinda green.

BP
Mar 05, 2018, 11:49 AM
Will fly for food
Thread OP
Over the weekend I got the new sails rigged up and fixed the bulb angle. She is 100% ready for this weekends seasons opener.
Mar 05, 2018, 12:40 PM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
Over the weekend I got the new sails rigged up and fixed the bulb angle. She is 100% ready for this weekends seasons opener.
Looking good David. I hope the weather plays ball and you have a great sail/race. Over the weekend I fitted 14 shadows to the building board

Quick Reply