R a c e R e a d y III - Page 5 - RC Groups
Feb 12, 2018, 12:27 PM
Lucas
Hi David,

Your new build looks really good, as expected. Did you cast the bumper from rubber, or shape it out of foam? Thanks for keeping RCGroups interesting!

Luke
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2018, 03:59 PM
Will fly for food
Luke

The bumper is cut from a foam sandal just like last years boat. RR II, I found a sandal with black and red. Its quite easy to sand and shape.
Feb 13, 2018, 01:28 AM
Never tried this personally ...

But ... have heard that if you freeze the foam rubber ( i.e. like the material used in flip-flops ) ... it supposedly makes it easier to sand and form into desired bumper shape(s)

UPDATE 2-13-18
Idea was to freeze the foam bumper AND SHAPE IT BEFORE attaching to hull / bow ... so as not needing to freeze entire hull
Last edited by slo.ca6; Feb 13, 2018 at 09:44 PM.
Feb 13, 2018, 11:39 AM
Will fly for food
Nice idea but you would have to put the whole boat in the freezer. It took me all of 20 minutes to sand the bumper to shape and I even used 400 wet dry to get a somewhat nicer finish on it.
Feb 13, 2018, 05:30 PM
scb28
David,

Did you sail RR3 at Bowman Bay last Sunday? The results didn't show what hull. Looks like you did pretty well , whatever you were sailing.

scb28
Feb 13, 2018, 09:41 PM
Will fly for food
Yes I and RR II were there. I would have done much better if I were able to figure out left from right. The boat tripped many times in the strong gusts but also did well going down wind once it got moving. The nose was wave piercing and often it stayed under for long periods when going up wind. Where it falters is when she stops of slows after a tack in choppy waters. The boat hobby horses and the front slaps the waves and just stops. It limits the acceleration potential in choppy water by a lot. In smooth water she is much better.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 13, 2018 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply