R a c e R e a d y III - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jan 25, 2018, 01:11 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
Is that an alternative?
Yes it is.
Photos taken at the CAN Nationals near Calgary last year.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2018, 04:11 PM
Will fly for food
How much corrector weight?
Jan 25, 2018, 06:46 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
It's not my boat, but I found out it is 100g overweight
He said:
Quote:
I always build 'em like a warship, keeps those yellow prairie boats on their toes.
Jan 28, 2018, 08:07 PM
Will fly for food
I figured I could remove some epoxy since I was going to be adding more. She is ready for pigmented epoxy. Take the reading and subtract 29g for the rudder servo and she is 658 g. I know each coat of epoxy will add about 35g and it will take two coats so I expect to add 50+g with the finish coats. The pot for the center is now at about 50g but I will be removing much of the plastic from the pot.
Jan 28, 2018, 11:26 PM

looking great

looking great David
Mike

Jan 29, 2018, 12:08 AM
Will fly for food
I may rename this boat the White Wash. The white is not very opaque. The red for the pot cover is OK and should look OK with a second coat. This is not going to be a pretty boat, but if you stand way back.
Jan 30, 2018, 11:39 PM
Will fly for food
After the second coat of (SEMI) opaque white epoxy I could not stand the look so I started to sand, and sand and yes more sanding. I put on about 30 g with the first coat Sunday evening and sanded 8g off. The surface looked good. The next coat was about 45g ( much thicker) and it still looked like white stain. I got about 25g of it off this evening and it created a lot of dust. The surface is great but I canít keep adding more coats hopping for a an opaque (deep pearlescent) finish thatís 100g deep. So in the end, after adding some 40g of (SEMI) pigmented epoxy I just shot it with white rattle can paint. Pics in the morning.
Jan 31, 2018, 10:27 AM
Will fly for food
For the first time you can see the lines due to the shadows with the white paint. The hull is at 740g with the the 29g rudder servo.
Feb 05, 2018, 02:51 PM
Will fly for food
The weight is piling on. I started with the hull at 687g ready to paint. I tried to use epoxy and that added 52g and now with 3 coats of paint she sits at 805g and she still needs a coat of clear enamel. She is looking good and I expect the weight to be about 825g ready for radio and that's about 100g over my target weight. I did add about 15g with the jib wires, epoxy splooge and other little bits while painting. This boat has turned out to be a learning experience. I now know where most of the build weights comes from and hopefully I can do a better job with the next boat. Tomorrow I'm going to get some red sail patch cloth and by the weekend I'll have the appendages refitted and get the winch and control strings in place for bench testing
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 06, 2018 at 12:29 AM.
Feb 06, 2018, 10:46 PM
Will fly for food
She is ready for radio install. The PDF file below shows the weights I have so far and its looking like I'll need about 75g of corrector weight. The nose bumper is on and all the deck hardware is now installed. 825g for the hull with 50+ of that as wasted epoxy but she is strong. Now on to install the winch and control lines.
Feb 07, 2018, 12:10 AM

lovely build

thanks for letting us see the build
Mike

Feb 09, 2018, 12:21 PM
Will fly for food

R a c e R e a d y III

She be done (I think), she is ready for fitting rigs. I started on December 23rd and in a little more than a month and a half completed the build. This is the last white boat I'll ever have. Every time I look at her there is another slight blemish in the finish somewhere and the paint and clear coat are still soft. I decided to use 1000 mah batteries that I have (50g w/ fuse) and she sits at 1160g with out corrector weight. She needs to be at about 1254 to 1256 depending on the A-rig. I figure every gram of corrector weight will inflate my ego just a little. I will be building another pot hatch which will be lighter and fit better. Bench testing should start this weekend and I'll see if the A rig from RR II will fit.
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 09, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
Feb 09, 2018, 08:38 PM
Will fly for food
The final numbers for the hull
Feb 10, 2018, 09:57 AM
Barry D USA 747
Boats looking good David, I'm sure you can't wait to get it in the water.
The return line tensioning bracket you have attached to the inside of the hull has me concerned. If you foul a line you run the risk of it pulling off or at worse taking some of the hull with it, trust me I learned the power of the RMG winch the hard way when my jib sheet fouled under the vang while holding station at a start.
Maybe consider a fail safe fishing line clip that will give before the boat!
Barry
Feb 10, 2018, 05:38 PM
Will fly for food
Good info Barry. I had not considered the damage an 290 can do. The attachment point to the hull is a piece of the cut out sections of the hull and is a balsa sandwich so they should fail before any hull damage (I hope). I'll look into some type of break away unit.

RR III got wet in the pond this morning. She sits almost perfectly on her designed water line. Add the rig and the 90 g of corrector weight and she will be on the line.

Quick Reply