R a c e R e a d y III - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 08, 2018, 05:40 PM
Will fly for food
FWAL what was your fiberglass layout configuration and how thick was your balsa? Also how many balsa core boats have you made? I already have a new design that I really like and will try this again.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2018, 11:50 PM
Will fly for food
not a lot done today. I got the rudder support plate in and made the front jib hooks for the foredeck.
Jan 09, 2018, 01:25 PM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
FWAL what was your fiberglass layout configuration and how thick was your balsa? Also how many balsa core boats have you made? I already have a new design that I really like and will try this again.
Hi David
I have designed and built 4 balsa core , 2 composite, 1 f/g IOMs and 1 composite RG65. The lay up for my last and probably fastest balsa core was; 3mm x 5mm planking, laminated with 1 layer of 200g (7oz) and 1 layer 80g (2.8oz) f/g.
Jan 09, 2018, 04:04 PM
Will fly for food
I weighed all the parts last night and I think I can get the hull done with all the deck hardware and painted (ready for radio) at about 725g. That's my target and we'll see if I can make it.
Jan 09, 2018, 09:06 PM
Barry D USA 747
David/Richard, what method do you use to make the fin box. Right now I made a female plug to match one side of the fin which is covered in packing tape , I lay up the glass then place the fin in the mold clamp in down then after it sets up I layup over the top. I figure there has to be a better way?
Jan 09, 2018, 09:38 PM
Will fly for food
That is one of the nice things about the Thailand fin set. You can get a fin box for it.
Jan 09, 2018, 09:55 PM
Barry D USA 747
I have a few Creed fins I need to use up, so have to make my fin boxes
Last edited by sightline; Jan 09, 2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Jan 09, 2018, 10:37 PM
Will fly for food
I also need to make one for my spare V9 fin. The idea I had was to make a sock by placing clear tape on the head of the fin and wrap it in light 1.5 oz glass and soak it out and debulk it and let it cure. It should be somewhat easy to remove it or you just cut one face and unwrap it. After this put the sleeve back on and wrap with the 3.7 oz cloth to the mast hole.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 09, 2018 at 10:44 PM.
Jan 09, 2018, 10:39 PM
Will fly for food
I made the blank for the winch mounting plate and the wires for the aft part of the foredeck. The winch sits so far back I'll need 3, 1/8" dia holes above in the foredeck to get to the winch screws.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 10, 2018 at 12:29 AM.
Jan 10, 2018, 11:18 AM

Foils and fin box

I got a set of fin, lead bulb, rudder and matching fin box from David Creed. Workmanship was outstanding. Fin top and fin cox box top need to be trimmed to final design which makes David's items ideal for home built products. He also included the mounting screws and nuts as well. Trimming them to meet the design is easier than building from scratch. Plus reports I have is that they are more than competitive with other products. I know that Craig Smith also builds extremely high quality and competitive foils as well (I know as I have a set of those as well).
My 2 cents worth.
Phil
Jan 10, 2018, 04:11 PM
Will fly for food
Does the creed fin box also include a mast well?
Jan 11, 2018, 09:55 AM
Yes it does. Wider at the top and fits the boom on the bottom.
Jan 11, 2018, 11:13 AM
Barry D USA 747
Quote:
I made the blank for the winch mounting plate and the wires for the aft part of the foredeck. The winch sits so far back I'll need 3, 1/8" dia holes above in the foredeck to get to the winch screws.
David, why not build a slide out tray so you don't have to have holes in the deck. I built mine with a glass layup and G10 sheet. Pics show both my woodie and the one on my Sedici.
Jan 12, 2018, 12:20 AM
Will fly for food
Intriguing idea. I modeled mine after the V9 winch mount but with a few mods, I feel a redesign coming on.

With the RPT procedures I completed planking of the mast well (35 strips) in just 4 hours. The 3 center strips are bass wood to take the force of the keel.
Jan 12, 2018, 11:03 AM
Barry D USA 747
Quote:
Intriguing idea. I modeled mine after the V9 winch mount but with a few mods, I feel a redesign coming on.

With the RPT procedures I completed planking of the mast well (35 strips) in just 4 hours. The 3 center strips are bass wood to take the force of the keel.
Don't follow my design, use the one on the right, if you snag a line the force will go up, I found that out the hard way when my whole winch tray imploded at the nationals last year.

Quick Reply