R a c e R e a d y III - RC Groups
Dec 30, 2017, 02:25 PM
Will fly for food
Discussion

R a c e R e a d y III

Well I lied about starting after the first of the year. I got going on the 23rd and have developed new RPT (Rapid Planking Technology) procedures which cut the time to only 8 hours for the hull and 3 hours for the deck. So as to not bore all of you with daily updates here is the hull. Working with balsa is quite different from cedar and I am chasing a lot of soft wood and hard glue joints. The keel board (strip) is bass wood and the rest is balsa. Next is to seal the balsa and lay the 2 oz glass and epoxy.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2017, 11:11 PM

I'm in

I'm In. cannot wait to see your latest creation.
Mike

Jan 03, 2018, 11:38 PM
Will fly for food
The glass is on with 2 coats of west systems on top for the foredeck and the hull. I spent a few hours rough sanding and then I cut the two away from the building boards and did much of the scraping on the inside. Lots of sanding to do but the balsa makes is easy. Too easy sometimes. Next is to get the insides smoothed out and then glass the inside. The two parts are much weaker than last years cedar build but they will be plenty strong when their interiors are glassed.
Jan 06, 2018, 08:23 AM
Barry D IOM USA 27
Looks good David, what's the max beam? It seems skinny but maybe that s the photo angle.
What did you use as a filler?
Jan 06, 2018, 08:34 AM
Barry D IOM USA 27

New Woodie in progress

Version II of last years boat ready to come off the building board. 2 layers of 1.4oz this time to hopefully reduce the battle scars. This boat will be a proof of concept build so to speak, less interior support ribs, interior of the hull will be sanded back to 2mm and rear deck & vang well will be glass. Also tweaking the find and bulb location a little.
Jan 06, 2018, 10:47 AM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
The glass is on with 2 coats of west systems on top for the foredeck and the hull. I spent a few hours rough sanding and then I cut the two away from the building boards and did much of the scraping on the inside. Lots of sanding to do but the balsa makes is easy. Too easy sometimes. Next is to get the insides smoothed out and then glass the inside. The two parts are much weaker than last years cedar build but they will be plenty strong when their interiors are glassed.
I've built a few balsa core IOM's and after the first didn't bother to fibre glass the complete inside of the hulls again. I used fairly small pieces of fg at the rudder tube aperture, mainsheet post and the centre board mast foot area. I did however apply 2 coats of resin. My balsa boats are still extremely stiff and far less spongy than my GRP hulls.
Just food for thought!
Jan 06, 2018, 01:54 PM
Will fly for food
The interior glassing is done and it did add a lot of weight. It also stiffened the hull greatly and I don’t need the interior formers in the nose. Next time I’ll use 1.5 oz glass for the interior. Later today I will get a weight of the blank hull parts. Yesterday I made the blank for the rear deck and today I’ll make the main bulkhead.
Jan 06, 2018, 08:17 PM
Barry D IOM USA 27
David, I apologize for posting my build pic in your thread, I thought I was in the DIY thread, my mistake.
Jan 06, 2018, 09:03 PM
Will fly for food
No problems at all, it makes this thread much more popular so please do keep us up to date on your progress. The RC Groups server has had problems all day long and I cannot post pics or edit my last post
Jan 06, 2018, 09:06 PM
Will fly for food
Crap I can't edit my last post to say what a beautiful boat you have Berry. Ill bet it will do as well or better than last years boat and that's good.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 07, 2018 at 10:16 AM.
Jan 07, 2018, 06:57 PM
Barry D IOM USA 27
David, do you think you need all those interior formers? I don't think a glassed balsa hull is going to spring much.
Did you weigh the hull after glassing but before adding anything else, I'm just curious and would like to compare where it's at with my cedar hull which I'm sanding down to 2mm from the inside, worst part of the whole build IMO
Jan 07, 2018, 11:20 PM
Will fly for food
No I did not weigh it and I wished I had. Right now at this stage of the build its looking like she is near 200g lighter than last years build but its hard to compare the two. The rear former is for mounting the rudder servo and the two amidships hold the keel in place. They also support the rear deck. Yes they are overkill but I'm an engineer what can I say. They are light ply with a light coating of epoxy and are rather light. The keel box is now glued in place with the aid of the laser level. The rudder post is also glued in and I worked on the trough on the foredeck.
Jan 08, 2018, 12:26 PM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightline
David, do you think you need all those interior formers? I don't think a glassed balsa hull is going to spring much.
Did you weigh the hull after glassing but before adding anything else, I'm just curious and would like to compare where it's at with my cedar hull which I'm sanding down to 2mm from the inside, worst part of the whole build IMO
My last balsa core IOM hull weighed 23.4oz or 663 grams finished (painted). This didn't include any servo's, winch, battery etc. The build log is on page 7 of my RC groups blog. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that works out at only 2.2oz (63g) heavier than a f/g V8 in the same state of completion

Quick Reply