Dec 30, 2017, 12:10 PM
Discussion

Servo connector crimping tool

I have a couple servos with bad connectors so I purchased a servo connector repair kit from APEX RC Products. I find it difficult to crimp the tiny pins and sockets on to the small gauge servo wires. Does some one make a crimping tool for these connectors?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2017, 12:17 PM
Grow old disgracefully!
Have a search on the web for PA09 crimping tool.
One example here https://www.adafruit.com/product/350

Dick
Dec 30, 2017, 09:42 PM
Proud snow Mexican!
Hansen Hobbies as some inexpensive one:
http://hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/tools/
Dec 30, 2017, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Hansen Hobbies as some inexpensive one:
http://hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/tools/
I also have one of the Hansen Hobbies crimpers. It isn't the quality of the stuff we used at work before retiring, but the prices on those things at work START at around $500.00. Those $$$$ tools are designed for production use where they are used non-stop day after day at work.

We normally won't be crimping more than perhaps a 100 terminals a year with our stuff, so these under $40 crimpers work just fine. I also have two of the cheap crimpers from Radio Shack. One of them is so out of tolerance, the wire falls out after crimping. The other identical unit over-crimps the wires to the point that the wires are nearly cut off during crimping.

(The DreamWorks and the Hansen crimpers appear to be the same unit)

I also have a very nice crimper found on Ebay. But, that crimper looks to be made for terminals much smaller than we use on our servo connectors. To bad, dang it.
Dec 31, 2017, 01:26 AM
Thanks very much for the info, guys.
Dec 31, 2017, 07:17 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
As Vollrathd says the high quality crimpers are $$$$. For our non-production uses a less expensive one can suffice. I have one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IWISS-Porta...oAAOSwT-lZoNZZ

Once adjusted and I learned how to use it, it performs reasonably well. Also, I check each pin and look closely at the crimp before I put the connection in service. It only goes down to 26 AWG, but I rarely ever use anything smaller. One trick if you need to crimp a smaller gauge you can double the wire back on itself once stripped, increasing the thickness in the crimp area.
Dec 31, 2017, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark
As Vollrathd says the high quality crimpers are $$$$. For our non-production uses a less expensive one can suffice. I have one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IWISS-Porta...oAAOSwT-lZoNZZ

Once adjusted and I learned how to use it, it performs reasonably well. Also, I check each pin and look closely at the crimp before I put the connection in service. It only goes down to 26 AWG, but I rarely ever use anything smaller. One trick if you need to crimp a smaller gauge you can double the wire back on itself once stripped, increasing the thickness in the crimp area.
That one looks like it'll do a better job than those Hansen Hobby Chinese jobbies so I got one coming. If you really want one of those like Hansen is selling, a web search will get 'em for 20 bucks or half what Hansen wants.

Yeah the REAL crimpers spoil you real quick. I have an A&P License and worked for a pretty good sized full scale operation which had a full house Avionics shop. Borrowing tools from those guys was always an expensive proposition. I'd used the crimp tools a bit but after borrowing a soldering iron, I ran right down to the hobby electronics store and asked if they carried the brand. The salesman took me over to a display case and sure enough, there it was. No prices on anything in the case so I figure how bad can it be? I told him I wanted one and three extra different size tips. When he rang it up, I just about choked but put it on the credit card. That was about 30 years ago and I still have and use that little Weller but I drew the line on finding out the crimpers started at $500 and went up..... lol
Dec 31, 2017, 05:51 PM
I own a hobbyking and Powerbox set. Both work good. Both take a bit of time before you get the right crimp every time. The very small gauge wires are difficult with both.
Dec 31, 2017, 05:58 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
These are worth every penny.
You can make JST RCY (battery connector), regular servo connectors and the 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5mm JST.
It takes two operations to crimp the wire and the insulation, but it does a good job on all these connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PAD-...eer+11+crimper
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 01, 2018, 04:14 AM
I prefer the PA09 for servo and Spektrum plugs.
Jan 01, 2018, 07:52 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
I prefer the PA09 for servo and Spektrum plugs.
I have them also, both acceptable, the PAD-11 goes both bigger and smaller, but is more money of course.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jan 02, 2018, 02:09 PM
After much trial and error, I bought the Molex ServiceGrade 64016-0201 SL 22 to 36 AWG crimp hand tool. This is a non-production crimper but produces quality crimps for about $130 and includes the terminal/pin holder. I bought a Hansen crimper and got zero good crimps from it. Threw it away. You are only going to get good crimps with a linear crimper vs. a pivoting crimper.

You can of course test your crimps by running a few amps through them and measuring the voltage drop. The above crimper seems to reliably produce 5 milliohm crimps.
Jan 02, 2018, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker
I bought a Hansen crimper and got zero good crimps from it. Threw it away. .
Yeah
My first Hansen crimper didn't provide a proper crimp job. They replaced it.

Here is one source for that Molex crimping tool

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...552-ND/2074098
Jan 02, 2018, 06:08 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker
.... includes the terminal/pin holder....
Didn't spy much for images. Would that be a part that holds the pin position from rotation etc.?

I "polished" the Hansen type and get nice crimps. Bit of a pain lining it all up. If it spins it fouls a bit.

A buck 30 looks fine if it upgrades the process.

Quick Reply